Hexayurt on a plane?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Hexayurt on a plane?

Postby Schtev » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:05 am

So between my experience at Burning Man and reading I've been doing lately, I'm pretty much sold on the idea of a hexayurt. Thing is if I get to go, I'll be flying down from Canada. Is it possible to get the materials for a hexayurt on a commercial airliner? If I understand correctly, a packed 6' hexayurt for one makes a 4' x 4' by 1' bundle, roughly (not sure about the weight). Anyone ever tried doing that before? I know I could just get the materials in Reno, but I'd have to abandon it or find someone to take it if I couldn't fly it back home.

Edit: Size correction
Last edited by Schtev on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Frosty Phoques

Re: Hexayurt on a plane?

Postby Nipple » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:24 am

That's the dimensions, but keep in mind, it's still a stack of foam boards.

Airplane monkees will beat the crap out of it. I transport mind sandwiched in between two pieces of plywood, ratchet strapped together. That'll still leave 24 sq ft. of foam board surface to get maligned, spindled and mutilated (The edges).

If the air carrier will take your cargo, it may be destroyed... have a backup tent available.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:39 am

Fly to Reno, rent a vehicle and then go buy your supplies. On your way out, use this info to find a place to take the materials you can't take home with you.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Schtev » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 am

@nipple
I was wrong about the size, actually. I figure a one person 6' hexayurt will be 4' x 4' x 1' bundled, as per here http://www.appropedia.org/File:Hexayurt ... page_1.png . Good idea about the plywood. It'd also be wrapped in a tarp, which would hopefully help. Have you ever actually tried flying with one though, or is this all hypothetical?
Last edited by Schtev on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Postby Schtev » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:44 am

@trilobyte
I'd probably just get a cheap room for the night near the Lowes on Kietzke and walk/bus it. But yeah, that's a good idea. Never thought of recycling places.
Schtev

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:51 am

If it's manageable and worthwhile, you could ship the materials home post-burn. Hit a local UPS joint and ship it home via slowest ship method (parcel post, etc) since you're not in a rush to get it there. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Schtev » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:58 am

trilobyte wrote:If it's manageable and worthwhile, you could ship the materials home post-burn. Hit a local UPS joint and ship it home via slowest ship method (parcel post, etc) since you're not in a rush to get it there. Good luck!

That's a great idea too. I suspect though that that works better on a return trip, since I have no time constraints and a fixed address on the receiving end. MIght be an issue going the other way if I wanted to re-use it.
Last edited by Schtev on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schtev

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:24 pm

Shit, just buy a few cans of expanding foam and spray a cheap tent.

Like this.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:33 pm

Consider calling the Reno Habitat For Humanity to see if they can reuse, or know someone who can. That might motivate a yurt size using mostly full sheets.

Reusing insulation board would be a great project for the EXTRA BM exodus trash and recycling team, though time is short. Then maybe it can become something reused in Nevada homes.

Maybe email recycle(at)burningman(dot)com?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Return to Shelter & Camping