Flying w/a Trunk/Airline Luggage Restrictions

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Flying w/a Trunk/Airline Luggage Restrictions

Postby SallyThunderCunt » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:55 pm

Hey there!

Has anyone out there flown any time RECENTLY with this Plano Sportsman Trunk from Home Depot? http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... RRWidgetID

A few different people recommended it to me as great to both pack in and fly with (and there are reviews on the HD website from Burners saying it worked for them), but according to the airline websites of multiple carriers, the total dimensions of your luggage can't exceed 62 in., and that trunk's total dimensions = 70 in. Now, I know a lot of airlines have changed their baggage restrictions recently, which is why I'm checking...

I'd love to buy and use this trunk, but don't want to arrive at the airport and be told I have to pay a zillion dollar oversize fee. :? Anyone have any recent experience flying with this trunk?

Thanks!
SallyThunderCunt

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Fabulous Disaster

Re: Flying w/a Trunk/Airline Luggage Restrictions

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:35 pm

You'll be BOTH oversize AND overweight - that trunk is heavy. And big. Our painters use them for storing their individual gear, and they ARE secure, but IIRC the trunk weighs in at 9-10 Kilos by itself.

They would be GREAT shipping crates (we use them for that) but only if you can catch a break shipping them air freight and picking them up on this end, then ship back the same way. (And if from overseas, you need time to clear customs). Otherwise you will need a big budget for your shipping costs. Might be worth it with time getting close, tho...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Re: Flying w/a Trunk/Airline Luggage Restrictions

Postby Rice » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:18 pm

SallyThunderCunt wrote:Hey there!

Has anyone out there flown any time RECENTLY with this Plano Sportsman Trunk from Home Depot? http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... RRWidgetID

A few different people recommended it to me as great to both pack in and fly with (and there are reviews on the HD website from Burners saying it worked for them), but according to the airline websites of multiple carriers, the total dimensions of your luggage can't exceed 62 in., and that trunk's total dimensions = 70 in. Now, I know a lot of airlines have changed their baggage restrictions recently, which is why I'm checking...

I'd love to buy and use this trunk, but don't want to arrive at the airport and be told I have to pay a zillion dollar oversize fee. :? Anyone have any recent experience flying with this trunk?

Thanks!

Check the website for the airline(s) that you will be flying on. I fly down from Canada and have the same concerns.

First check the website (both for size and weight), then look at the specs for the trunk you want. Add the weight of the stuff you want to pack to the weight of the trunk (add 5 pounds as a fluff factor) and if it is good - buy it.

50 Lbs seems to be the standard. (at least in Air Canada, Westjet and United Airlines).
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Return to Transportation