Pancakes on the Playa

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Pancakes on the Playa

Postby teardropper » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:00 pm

Nothing like a pancake on the playa - except for the hellish, water consuming cleanup of the mixing bowl. So, now I bring my batter in a pressurized can - the Batter Blaster. Like a whipped cream can, only it's pancake batter. Just turn it upside down and push the nozzle. Easy, safe, fun and oh so good. Well, mediocre, actually, but... no clean up.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Re: Pancakes on the Playa

Postby VultureChow » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:03 pm

teardropper wrote:Nothing like a pancake on the playa - except for the hellish, water consuming cleanup of the mixing bowl. So, now I bring my batter in a pressurized can - the Batter Blaster. Like a whipped cream can, only it's pancake batter. Just turn it upside down and push the nozzle. Easy, safe, fun and oh so good. Well, mediocre, actually, but... no clean up.

Bisquick makes a jug of dried mix. Just add water. No refrigeration necessary.

I've used it before for car camping.

You could do the same thing with emptied water bottles and just discard afterwards.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Batter Blaster is even organic.

It does say "keep refrigerated".

http://www.batterblaster.com/products.php
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:31 pm

Don't forget Pancake Playhouse (usually located in the 9 o'clock plaza)...

I'm a big fan of Batter Blaster, created by a former bartender at an old favorite SF dive bar. I like having it back in defaultia, too, it's great for when you just want a quick hot breakfast. AntiM's solution may be better for the playa though, since I don't think the shake and pour stuff needs to be refrigerated. Just add water, put the cap back on, BAM.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:37 pm

That was VultureChow...... and I agree, the shake n pour is a great quickie method.

Hushville used to do lavish vegan pancake brunches, at least three or four during the week. Originally served streetside, but the health department got fussy so they were moved to the interior of the village. I used to pick and freeze my raspberries all summer to bring to the brunch. Everyone would pitch in, a potluck of generosity. Once the main naked cook and coffee witch who brought all the infrastructure stopped attending, the brunches fell off. A damn shame, they were terrific.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby teardropper » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:50 pm

Do you have to use all the batter in the bottle or refrigerate the remains?

Yeah, Tril, I actually had Batter Blaster, with fresh blueberries, this morning. The only thing is it's a little thin.

I have a refrig on playa so the no mess really wins, but everyone must have a cooler. I have an old Griswold waffle cast iron, bring cooked-at-home sausage and bacon that I freeze (but would last a few days anyway) a couple free range eggs - I like it for dinner, too. I usually don't eat that much in BRC, but feasts once in a while are good.

You guys like Annie Chung's noodle bowls or miso soup? Again, actually had some the other night. Man, am I lazy...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby maladroit » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:49 pm

I get store brand (Safeway) just-add-water buttermilk pancake mix, it's pretty good. When camping though...no need to wash a bowl. Just use a paper bowl. I'm not usually cooking more than a few pancakes, anyway.

You can also get a wide variety of cheap takeout containers with lids at a store like Smart n Final. You can dump the mix and water in there, shake it up, and not even need to get a stirring utensil dirty. Plus you have a stack of containers to use for other things, rather than just one pancake breakfast. High moop potential though, so keep 'em locked up.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Return to Food & Drink