A 2012 question for 2011 and 2010 attendees re: exodus

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

A 2012 question for 2011 and 2010 attendees re: exodus

Postby 1durphul » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:31 am

I have question:

In 2010 the Burning Man org did a new type of Exodus in which batches of cars were released to go forward onto the highway. I did not attend in 2011, so I was curious if the org decided to continue with this program. While I know a lot of people hated it, I'm not sure their hatred was founded in any sort of real facts. I was driving a large box truck rental and was VERY happy to be able to get out of the drivers seat, stretch my legs, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, turn off my engine. I used nearly a quarter tank of gas just on the Entry line into the event and was worried I would need to stop at Brunos on the way out for gas. I know in previous years Bruno has sold out during exodus. So turning off the engine and not finding myself using another 1/4 tank to the leave the Playa was a welcome gift. (for those counting that would be 1/2 a tank of gas for less than 20 miles of driving.)

tldr; Did 2011 exodus use the same (or modified) batch system that 2010 used for Exodus?
1durphul

Re: A 2012 question for 2011 and 2010 attendees re: exodus

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:34 am

Yes. It's called "pulsing". Things were apparently pretty horrible because there were a couple of accidents on 80 and things were backed up all the way.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby danibel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:39 am

Last year (2011) my partner and I left the playa about sunset (8ish). We got in line and were "pulsed" out. We would roll forward for a bit, then we would set an alarm for 45 minutes and then the line would roll again for a bit, then stop and set the alarm again, nap, wake up, roll, and on and on. After about 5 hours we hit the pavement.

So to answer your question - Yes, pulsing was used last year. I think I read in a JRS that they will be doing this again this year. I liked it a lot. It saved me gas and we got little naps in between. The only thing that was annoying was some bozo with a megaphone walked through the lines and was yelling at people to turn off their engines. I don't need to be told to save resources! Bah.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby 1durphul » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:04 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Yes. It's called "pulsing". Things were apparently pretty horrible because there were a couple of accidents on 80 and things were backed up all the way.

Hey FYI, there is a lesser known alternate route, you can hang a right at Nixon, and then a left somewhere along the lake and that road is an empty version of the main road. I did this my first couple of years for coming and leaving the playa.
1durphul

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:11 am

Doesn't affect the pulsing, which is done at the gate.

Strangely, I spend enough time after the event to make sure our area is well mooped, so I haven't had to deal with Pulsing... I consider the whole Exodus thing as a punishment for NOT taking the extra time to make sure your camp is TRULY LNT!!

(OK, one year I was recalled for work and had to come back early (eg Monday), Exodus wasn't all that bad, but still, you better have a pee jug handy.

Personally - I think I'll make a right at Gerlach (after breakfast and fuel at Bruno's, natch) and take the *real* backway home this year. hyeh hyeh hyeh...

Anyone got a current price for Bruno's gas (and, no, I don't mean his kickazz chili, either)...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:15 am

Think of them as one hour neighborhoods. 1000 cars per hour can leave the playa, then park it, switch the engine off, stretch your legs and meet your new neighbors.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:59 pm

Pulsing is the only way to go. I just prepared for a long day last year and I had a good time.

I didnt go in 2010 but I remember pulsing in 09 too
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby C187 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:45 pm

RedHeaven wrote:I didnt go in 2010 but I remember pulsing in 09 too

Those were love buses breaking down and being repaired in a metronome like fashion holding everyone up. :roll:

@1durphul
Pulsing went a lot better last year since people seem to know what was up, and as you saw in trilobyte's posting the talking point is "one hour neighborhoods." Which is more or less on the money for how people handled it last year, and would likely handle it this year. If you haven't read Kristy's blog post on traffic yet you should. Since it talks about things like more potties, a new traffic radio station, and why traffic issues aren't going to magically be fixed overnight. But someone is working on it. Or so they say..
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby 1durphul » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:51 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Doesn't affect the pulsing, which is done at the gate.

Strangely, I spend enough time after the event to make sure our area is well mooped, so I haven't had to deal with Pulsing... I consider the whole Exodus thing as a punishment for NOT taking the extra time to make sure your camp is TRULY LNT!!

(OK, one year I was recalled for work and had to come back early (eg Monday), Exodus wasn't all that bad, but still, you better have a pee jug handy.

Personally - I think I'll make a right at Gerlach (after breakfast and fuel at Bruno's, natch) and take the *real* backway home this year. hyeh hyeh hyeh...

Anyone got a current price for Bruno's gas (and, no, I don't mean his kickazz chili, either)...

you know what is kind of wild is that turning right at the fork in Gerlach Google Maps says it takes 5 hours to get back to Reno. Turning right at Nixon it is 2 hours 17 minutes. (The normal "approved route" has it at 2hrs and 5 minutes. But that of course is not counting realities like slow convoys)
1durphul

Postby teardropper » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Liked pulsing in '10, got to see a girl get a BM brand on her ass. Weird and cool. Last year I broke down and packed camp Monday morning and was ready to go about noon. When I started to drive out to exit I noticed a line starting at about 3 and the outer ring. I was just turning on the radio and they told of the two accidents - non Burner - on 80 @ Reno holding up traffic both ways. They said the traffic was backed up to where I was all the way to Reno and not to get in line - over 6 hour wait. I pulled out and went back to camp. We helped pack the last and thoroughly remooped. It was pretty good, though. As the afternoon wore on the news was much the same. Finally, about five, since I go north, I decided I wasn't driving that desert in the dark, even though I come in in the dark, got out my last steak and some liquor and drove around looking for a grill and someone to drink with. I know, hard to believe, but I found it in about 20 minutes. We ate, drank, had a fine time and discovered someone had a big Egg on the Man site they were going to Burn at dusk. It was one of the finer nights. Next morning we drove straight out, went to Bruno's to eat and back to the world. Through it all I just kept saying, I was just following unstructions, they told me not to leave.

Kinda missed the Exodus, though...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby uncle sticky » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:42 am

Had my camper, so I set up a bar and some shade every 45 minutes, met some nice folks. Of course, I was drunk by the time we reached the end, so the wife drove. She napped the entire time we pulsed, so she was nice and fresh.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Return to Experiences at Burning Man