Moveable Feast.....we need your MV.....

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

Moveable Feast.....we need your MV.....

Postby bluebug549 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:24 pm

We are the Sunset Supper Club located in the French Quarter. We prepare 7 course gourmet meals in our kitchen with professional chefs. We are hoping to find art cars that can seat people for dinner close to the Quarter, and then take the guests for an after dinner cruise in your amazing art car. We can feed your crew that is aboard as well and can provide some tables and chairs, provided there is space to set them up. We are serving Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday night. Let's make culinary playa magic happen!!!!
Fear No Art
bluebug549

Re: Moveable Feast.....we need your MV.....

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Is this is the same supper club that requires tickets acquired by donating $150 or more to the French Quarter fundraiser?
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby bluebug549 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:03 pm

It is, however, over half of our seats are gifted on playa. The Kickstarter for the French Quarter raises funds for the entire village, a huge undertaking and very expensive. One of the reasons that I'm trying to engage art cars this year is to actually reduce our costs and be able to actually accommodate more people. There have been no seats on art cars designated through Kickstarter and this will expand the number of dinners that can be served. Having said that, I can guarantee that 100% of the seats that we can acquire through art cars will be gifted gourmet meals.
Fear No Art
bluebug549

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Good luck in your search.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:49 am

Sponsored by Krug?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby mgb327 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:49 am

Kinda reminds me of going to a carnival as a child. I had to buy a ticket to get into the grounds, and then buy a ticket for each ride. Do I want to pay $150 for dinner? Not even in Defaultia.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby bluebug549 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Again, every large theme camp out there has to find ways to actually fund their adventure.....unless they are independently wealthy. People that have money to donate in some capacity do so, however, we GIFT over half of our seats every year and by having art cars seat dinner guests we are expanding the total number of people we can feed, without needing any more money. In addition, we feed the nearly 20 volunteers every night that do dishes, wait tables, etc....Burning Man is a do-ocracy and giving back to the community is what it's all about. It saddens me as a 10 year burner that the bulk of the negative feedback I have received has been on eplaya. Do you want to participate? Come and see us, come and join us, do you want dinner? Ask and you shall receive. It's just that easy. We have a lot of people that bust ass all year round, for zero pay, to make this camp happen and because we sell 20 pairs of tickets for the entire week as a fundraiser to feed 75 people a night for 4 nights, we get slammed. So do the math, 40 seats have been pledged pre event to help us get a huge gourmet kitchen, appiances, massive infrastructure, etc, to the playa.......300 people are fed, that amounts to 260 people that are gifted dinner and 40 that are not. Even in the default world, this food doesn't vaporize out of thin air, I'd say that's pretty darn good.
Fear No Art
bluebug549

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Wow. You've never had three negative comments before. You're doing nicely.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby danibel » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:40 pm

Huh. And I thought that gifts were things given without anything expected in return.

More and more "camps" doing fundraising is really starting to rub me wrong. We all want to have an amazing party on the playa, we want to give nice things to kind people, but to ask others to give and give so that one camp or person can be this big "gifter" is just getting to me. Every time I look at the BM FB page there is some request for people to donate this, or give that. Why can't the people who want to give things away, pay for those things and then do it? Is it rocket science?

If I can't afford to gift 24 karat gold necklaces to everyone, I don't. Seems simple enough.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Needing my mv does not sound like an invitation to join in your fun.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Bluebug, posting a public plea on the internet (and ePlaya in particular) is bound to invite scrutiny, ESPECIALLY if your camp is also involved in seeking public assistance.

Fundraising for big art is one thing, fundraising for camps is kind of another. And now something else still is calling for public support to deliver on VIP donor premiums. Mutant vehicles are ideally intended as vehicles that are open to the public, asking people to come to your camp and devote a significant chunk of time for a restricted access event seems a little much.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:49 pm

I wanna see food vaporize out of thin air.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby maladroit » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:28 pm

ygmir wrote:I wanna see food vaporize out of thin air.

Videotape yourself waving some bacon near me around 4am some night, then play the video in reverse.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:35 pm

maladroit wrote:
ygmir wrote:I wanna see food vaporize out of thin air.

Videotape yourself waving some bacon near me around 4am some night, then play the video in reverse.

dang my attempt at absurdity and context!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby bluebug549 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:17 am

Thanks all for your consideration and inspiration, we have every night covered with enthusiastic, genuine, and warm burners. Have a stellar burn, I know I will!!
Fear No Art
bluebug549

Postby BBadger » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:27 am

With about half the seats gifted, that makes them only $75/seat!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to 2012 Mutant Vehicles