Goggles and Dust Mask

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Goggles and Dust Mask

Postby Joshua! » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:44 am

You might pack a bandanna in you kit as well, and try it out to see which is more comfortable. My experience with those dustmasks is that I tear them off in frustration after about 20 minutes. Pretty uncomfortable, and the metal piece that you pinch over your nose rubs badly.

Joshua!
Joshua!

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Gigsville

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:02 am

These are very popular out there! 8)

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Re: Masks

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:26 am

Try this on for size:
viewtopic.php?f=279&t=50467

Meanwhile, hit the surplus stores, try shit on, no idea if you have size #3 face or a #4 1/2. Hard to tell from here. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Nynaeve » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:25 am

So looking at the masks on playalung http://www.playalung.com/products-page/masks at $75.00 v. $45.00 for RZ Masks which are for motorcross/RV http://rzmask.com/shop/women - Eplaya talks about how it filters out playa dust but the RV masks do not really go into much detail. Has anyone gotten one of these RV masks and do they work just as well as the playalung products? Is playalung selling basically the same product at double the cost?
Nynaeve

Postby AzJames » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:10 pm

How about the first defense nasal filters? Haven't tried then yet, but I've heard people rave about them.
AzJames

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:50 pm

AzJames wrote:How about the first defense nasal filters? Haven't tried then yet, but I've heard people rave about them.

I can't imagine they'd do much to protect your mouth. So if they completely stopped up with dust (that is a really small surface area, after all), then you'd have to open your mouth to breathe, and you'd be breathing in unfiltered air, back to square one.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby chupaskabra » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Glasses wearer here! Has anyone tried the goggles with interchangeable lenses? How much of a pain are they to switch out, and do they let much dust in through the cracks? Want to make sure before buying something so expensive...

http://www.gogglesoverglasses.com/wx3.htm

Thanks for any collective wisdom you might impart me with!

-Diana
chupaskabra

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Rice » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:23 pm

chupaskabra wrote:Glasses wearer here! Has anyone tried the goggles with interchangeable lenses? How much of a pain are they to switch out, and do they let much dust in through the cracks? Want to make sure before buying something so expensive...

http://www.gogglesoverglasses.com/wx3.htm

Thanks for any collective wisdom you might impart me with!

-Diana

I also wear glasses. I have not tried those exact goggles, but I do use Motorcross goggles with interchangeable lenses. Since I always have a backpack with me (with my goggles, extra lens, dust mask, water, meds, etc), it is no problem. I just change the lenses from tinted to clear when night falls (so I am ready if it storms), only takes 2 minutes.

Rice_Goggles.jpg

I also use that silk scarf as a dust mask, but carry two additional types of fabric dust masks if the dust storm ends up being nasty (aka: several hours long).

Hope this helps ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby AlakaLazlo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:55 pm

We use these masks. They work great and are pretty inexpensive as well. http://www.harborfreight.com/multipurpo ... 94222.html
AlakaLazlo

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: ...and then there's only LOVE

Re: Proper Dust Mask for Playa?

Postby fritz » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:31 pm

FeetOfClay wrote:Just bought some dust masks, and wondering if they are okay for the playa... are they "strong" enough or have a high enough rating, etc:

http://www.amazon.com/Tekk-8661PC1-A-Home-Dust-5-Pack/dp/B000BQSXCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342617285&sr=8-1&keywords=home+dust+mask+3m

they are "home dust masks", but i figured they'd be okay. any one wanna weigh in on this?

Wear them around at home first to see what they are like. They should be fine for keeping the dust out, but in my experience, are not fun to wear. I would recommend a simple bandana or other comfortable fabric for continual use and keep the dust masks you purchased on hand in case of emergency when the wind is too much for the bandana. I keep a similar dusk mask on me in a sealed zip lock bag just in case.
fritz

Burning Since: 2009

Postby TomServo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:05 pm

It's not advisable, but I've slept like a baby in full face respirators....during dust storms. They direct the heat of your breath away from your face...unlike rags. But test em all out. What works for others may not work for you.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Arson » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Just wanted to comment about the OP suggestion. This year we bought 2 pair of the goggles from JadedMinx on Etsy, and when we got them in the mail we were very disappointed. This seller basically took some $10 cheap goggles and spray painted them, and it was even painted on the inside of the goggle, where it contacts your face. By the time they got to us the paint was peeling off all over the package! The paint would probably come off on our faces. That is just MOOP ready to happen. We are not even going to bring them to the playa.

[quote="kikidelosfeliz"]Finally finally had a reliable cool looking working duo of goggles and dust mask!! These were necessary survival gear the first two days of the week this year, when the dust was really blowing. The goggles were from Etsy, from a burner named JadedMinx. They were about $30 or so, with round lenses, and foam backing where they touch one's face. Here is a link to something similar: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goggles-Aviator ... 61ca988ce7. My optometrist was able to put in prescription lenses, that transitioned from day to night. That part was expensive. But they worked! I could see all the time, and with a little tape over the vents on the inside, they were pretty much dustproof, comfortable, and fit my face (even with angular cheekbones). The ones with rubber cups for the eyes are uncomfortable on me and don't seal well to keep out the dust. If you put some vaseline on the foam, it is even more dustproof. And they fold up small and fit in a pocket. As for the dust mask, I got a sport model from Respro, for about $29. It was amazing. The sport model, I think it is called the Sportstra, is for dust particles, not for solvent fumes, so it breathes better and doesn't get hot and sticky inside. It has a neoprene stretchy mask that velcros in back. Lightweight, relatively comfortable, and sorta cool looking. Also folds up small and fits in a pocket. For once I don't feel like I'm coughing up a lungful of playa dust.[/quote]
Arson

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Steampunk Saloon

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Basic military goggles are all you really need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-TWO-U-S- ... 500wt_1414

I carry a couple of them for spares and emergency loaners in my backpack.

I have a pair of ESS Land Ops for my primaries with the clear and dark lenses.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear