Seeking advice for transporting hexayurt on roof on cargo va

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Seeking advice for transporting hexayurt on roof on cargo va

Postby loveNrespect » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:37 pm

Greetings fellow burners

I'm planning how to pack my rental cargo van, but now that I'm taking stock I realize I'm running out of room in the van. Most of the packing-space is used up by the folded hexayurt.

So I started toying with the idea of transporting the yurt on the roof of the van, using the plywood-sandwich mentioned in other threads.

Now, it's a rental van, so it doesn't have cargo rack. Racks cost a pretty penny, so I was concocting up a way to use lots of ratcheting straps to tie it down(length-wise and across).
And a moving blanket between the wrapped-yurt and the van to protect the pain.

I've already read a couple of horror stories on this forum about stuff falling/flying off, so I thought it was best to consult the stars/eplaya board.

Any ideas to make this safe and sturdy?
Maybe a better make-shift rack (that doesn't rub off the paint of the rental van)?
Or is this just a recipe for disaster and I should kill this idea?
Alternatives?

Thank you!
loveNrespect

Re: Seeking advice for transporting hexayurt on roof on carg

Postby playa hanjin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Hey,
I transported a folding 8" hexayurt on the top of a rental Ford last year.
I pray your rental is not a Ford, it was a 2010 or 11 model year and the playa dust killed the engine immediately.
Anyway, this is how I did it:
1. Fold up hexayurt in nice tight package
2. Securely wrap with rope and blankets (no wood)
3. Use a set of ratchet straps, passed inside the car, above the doors obviously, to really tighten it down

No problems using that method. Biggest potential problem is any of your rope not being tight enough and singing against the car. Easy to fix.

Best of luck!
playa hanjin

Return to Transportation