Driving from Southern California

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Driving from Southern California

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:51 pm

I am sure the driving from here or there questions are going to start pouring in.

If you are coming from Southern California you have a few basic options, outlined by the BM website, here:

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/travel_info/la_to_brc.html

There are also a number of links to check out for general sedan/van driving, load hauling, and RV/Rig driving:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=36491&highlight=driving+los+angeles

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=20657&highlight=driving+los+angeles

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=20383&highlight=driving+los+angeles

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=20427&highlight=driving+los+angeles

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=9885&highlight=driving+los+angeles

PERSONAL OPINION:

The 395 is the absolutely BEST route to go, AKA "The American Dream" on the Burning Man Website. These are the exact directions I used last year: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

I was VERY happy with my drive. We took the advice from the site and stopped at a good eatery on the way, we scoped out our pit stops and stuck to them, and in general had a really great ride. We left Los Angeles at 4:20 am and arrived at the gate at 3:00pm the Friday before gate open. It was perfect.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Oh no...the best route from Southern California is to start from Seattle...take the Summer Lake Hot Springs route thru Central Oregon!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:00 pm

dragonpilot wrote:Oh no...the best route from Southern California is to start from Seattle...take the Summer Lake Hot Springs route thru Central Oregon!

Dragon Pilot, you know I absolutely adore you. And while this is likely a BEAUTIFUL route...it is totally not helpful to virgin city folk from Southern California. javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
VeganChoirGirl

Postby jkisha » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:20 pm

I'll definitely second the 395 route from L.A. We've gone that route for several years now, and it suet does beat the freeway.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:15 pm

Anyone done the detour through hawthorne/schurz recently? I'm thinking of trying that this year. I notice that the BM website recommends not doing that.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:36 pm

Complete horseshit. Yes, I got a ticket (I was driving 87 in a 65 zone) and was ticketed for 80. Schurz gets a bad rep, but the people who get nabbed, like me, had it coming. I've gone back countless time, mostly to get the best damn fireworks anywhere in Schurz (there are three or four great places to get them) without any trouble. When the cops got me, I was asking for it, no doubt about it.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Trishntek » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:01 pm

If you are heavy, which most of us are, those long grades from Lee Vining on 395 are a grind. Yeah the scenery is beautiful, but if you're a mother ship for a theme camp, trust me, take the 6 east from Bishop or the 167 from Mono Lake and catch the 95 North to Fernley. It's actually shorter time wise because what grades are there are much gentler. There are many stretches that are 70MPH limit.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:38 am

Trishntek wrote:If you are heavy, which most of us are, those long grades from Lee Vining on 395 are a grind. Yeah the scenery is beautiful, but if you're a mother ship for a theme camp, trust me, take the 6 east from Bishop or the 167 from Mono Lake and catch the 95 North to Fernley. It's actually shorter time wise because what grades are there are much gentler. There are many stretches that are 70MPH limit.

Thanks for the tips!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Tiahaar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:28 pm

I second Trishntek! My mothership of a bus goes that route every year via the Alt 95 through Yerrington.
Tip: just outside Hawthorne is Whiskey Flats RV park, a very excellent stop from which to launch the final leg to the playa. A commercial truck tire shop is also located a bit further outside town (fixed a flat for me one year).

For the love of dawg on the return trip don't miss the left turn in Yerrington (if you go that way rather than via Fallon) to Alt 95 or you will end up on the 208 'shortcut' to the 395...and it is a very very steep grade...like I was doing 2mph with the foot on the floor steep...with a lengthy cool-the-engine-off stop at the top.
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Trishntek » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:10 pm

The place NOT to camp is by Walker Lake along that steep foothill on the west shore. There is a reason it looks desolate. We were motorcycle camping there one time and the winds coming off that cliff rivaled anything you will experience on the playa. Our tent was in shreds after the broken poles ripped into it and we spent most of the night with it as an extra layer on our sleeping bags and covering our heads. The gravel pummeled us and our bikes looked sand blasted the next morning.
Trishntek

Postby jella » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:25 am

Tiahaar wrote:Tip: just outside Hawthorne is Whiskey Flats RV park, a very excellent stop from which to launch the final leg to the playa.

We stayed there coming in last year, nice folks and well kept facilities. Not a bit of trouble in Hawthorne, but then we weren't looking for it 8)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Thecatman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Going the way Trishntek suggests you also avoid traffic lights, one my pet peeves, through Minden/Gardnerville and Carson City.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Re: Driving from Southern California

Postby jella » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:58 am

Bump for general usefulness to burgins and otherwise :)

Looking for an overnight full rv hook-up recommendation up the 395 from san diego. I'd like to be near the mountains if possible. plan B is just staying in hawthorne again, Whiskey flats. Nice place no thrills or mountains :( The hunt continues.
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby captain mcguiver » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Does anyone know if there are fill ups for water after Bishop on the 6 East route? I don't want to double back all the way to Reno after Fernley, and I haven't heard back from the GID people in Gerlach if they are doing the water thing again. I'd love to not drive 55 gallons of water over the mountains.
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:46 pm

My understanding is the same places will offer it, same hours of operation as 2011.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby captain mcguiver » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:49 pm

trilobyte wrote:My understanding is the same places will offer it, same hours of operation as 2011.

The same places in Gerlach?
captain mcguiver

Postby ranger magnum » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Another route is to take 395 to Bridgeport. Just as you enter town there is a fork in the road. The the left is 395 and to the right is 182.

Take 182. At the ca/nv line it turns into 338. Take it to 208, then to 339. 339 turns into 95/50 which takes you to fernley. Its beautiful, and 338 follows the walker river. You can park on the shoulder and take a swim.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby plantmandan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:05 am

[quote="ranger magnum"]Another route is to take 395 to Bridgeport. Just as you enter town there is a fork in the road. The the left is 395 and to the right is 182.

Take 182. At the ca/nv line it turns into 338. Take it to 208, then to 339. 339 turns into 95/50 which takes you to fernley. Its beautiful, and 338 follows the walker river. You can park on the shoulder and take a swim.[/quote]

I would second this route as a good one. The 395 is great in California, but it is a slow and annoying slog in Nevada. This route gives you the best of both worlds.
plantmandan

Burning Since: 2002

Postby captain mcguiver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:02 pm

Whats the grade like on that last route? I was planning on going to the 6 East of Bishop and dropping into the "spooky desert route" to avoid grades. This sounds more fun, but I don't like the looks of that national forest land, could be treacherous for a truck compared to the 6 eh?
captain mcguiver

Postby vapor » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:44 am

There are 2 killer grades on the 395, one right before Mammoth and right after Mono Lake, I grind up those at about 25 mph in a Jeep w/ a fairly heavy trailer. Then there's one grade on the 182 that is about equivalent to the grade on the 6 that is just before the turn onto the 360. The spooky desert route is also straighter and faster than the 182 out of Bridgeport, I save about 1/2 hour heading to BRC from LA on that route with cooler temps and a happier jeep. I prefer the scenery on the spooky desert . . . awe inspiring vistas, strange deserted towns, desolate magical terrain. And the underwater submarine research center in the middle of the desert.
vapor

Camp Name: Opulent Temple

Postby captain mcguiver » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Yeah, Spooky route is what I want to take to avoid all those grades. I've been that guy doing 25mph before. I was just hoping the scenic route didn't have those tough hills.
captain mcguiver

Postby vapor » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:12 pm

You can return via the scenic route with only 1 steep grade heading up to the Mono Lake vista. Still a long climb up to Mammoth, though a more gentle grade, and 2 steep, slow downhills, so overall still more time than the spooky route.
vapor

Camp Name: Opulent Temple

Postby Trishntek » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:45 pm

captain mcguiver wrote:Does anyone know if there are fill ups for water after Bishop on the 6 East route? I don't want to double back all the way to Reno after Fernley, and I haven't heard back from the GID people in Gerlach if they are doing the water thing again. I'd love to not drive 55 gallons of water over the mountains.

There is an RV park in Fernley where I got water for $5. Loves truck stop in Fernley has water too! Plus, if you are RVing it, Loves has a dump station.
Trishntek

Postby captain mcguiver » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:39 pm

I'm taking a 16' rental truck with a 55 gallon tank. The RV place in Fernley or truck stop would need a hose to get up about 8' to the top of the tank in the gate. I found out Gerlach has water so I'll probably just fill up there.
captain mcguiver

Postby scott_k » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:05 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:Anyone done the detour through hawthorne/schurz recently? I'm thinking of trying that this year. I notice that the BM website recommends not doing that.

I got a speeding ticket for going 58 in a 45 zone in Hawthorne last year. The speed limit had been 70 on the highway, and the limit was decreasing as the highway became the main street of town. I had already reduced my speed by nearly 20 mph when I saw red and blue lights behind me.

Sheriff told me he was going to search my vehicle. I respectfully declined the search. He said "OK, we'll have the K9 unit over here momentarily."

K9 never showed up. Off the hook with a $182 speeding ticket and a "drive safe."

DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH HAWTHORNE OR ANYWHERE IN MINERAL COUNTY, IF POSSIBLE. THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU.
scott_k

Burning Since: 2011

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:45 am

scott_k wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:Anyone done the detour through hawthorne/schurz recently? I'm thinking of trying that this year. I notice that the BM website recommends not doing that.

I got a speeding ticket for going 58 in a 45 zone in Hawthorne last year. The speed limit had been 70 on the highway, and the limit was decreasing as the highway became the main street of town. I had already reduced my speed by nearly 20 mph when I saw red and blue lights behind me.

Sheriff told me he was going to search my vehicle. I respectfully declined the search. He said "OK, we'll have the K9 unit over here momentarily."

K9 never showed up. Off the hook with a $182 speeding ticket and a "drive safe."

DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH HAWTHORNE OR ANYWHERE IN MINERAL COUNTY, IF POSSIBLE. THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU.

This is why we are taking 182 out of bridgeport.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby captain mcguiver » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:24 am

I'm turning on my camera and pointing it at the speedometer when I roll into Hawthorne. Remember to ALWAYS refuse a search. Regardless if you have anything to worry about. Police will try and mind-control you to give up your rights. "You don't mind if I search your vehicle do you?" YES I DO. Go get a warrant or let me go.

"Am I free to leave?" is a great statement to keep repeating at any appropriate pause in the conversation.
captain mcguiver

Postby Trishntek » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:06 pm

The best thing to do is obey the speed limits and make sure your vehicle has all lights working and nothing which will cause a traffic stop. Being above suspicion is better than paranoid pernicious prevention of perpetration.
Trishntek

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:18 am

I ended up driving through Hawthorne last year, and didn't have any issues. The speed limit thing is true for just about every town coming up the 395... They're just waiting to nail you.
mudpuppy000

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:24 am

double post
mudpuppy000

Next

Return to Transportation