Looking for videos of dust storms and accidents

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Looking for videos of dust storms and accidents

Postby vaddynwashere » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:12 am

Do you guys know of any good videos that clearly and explicitly demonstrate how powerful winds on the playa can be, and how structures, seemingly sturdy and well secured, get torn out, collapse on themselves and fly away?

My friends have only been to the burning man once, last year, and now it's impossible to convince them that the flimsy shade structure they think "is ok" - is actually not ok at all, it's an accident waiting to happen.
They now think that all this talk about winds and storms is an inside joke like "I heard it's going to be extra dusty this year" or "I heard this is going to be the last year"... they don't take it seriously at all.
I need to make them understand that this structure, which we want to use as our kitchen needs MAJOR, MAJOR work...

Please suggest some videos?
vaddynwashere

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Twinkii mm)'(ii

Re: Looking for videos of dust storms and accidents

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:24 am

For what it's worth, I don't know if you've seen it really get bad either (burning since 2009). ;)

You could ask uncle Google or check youtube (there are a number of examples), but the trouble is that during the worst the playa has to offer, breaking out the delicate and expensive electronics doesn't seem like a very good idea. At least you can bring your own gear this year and if the weather gets really rough you won't have to travel far to film accidents and collapses.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby vaddynwashere » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:01 am

What I've seen was humbling enough to know I haven't seen it that bad either, I agree.
But this so-called "kitchen" would be my kitchen as well. I have neither the tools nor skills to solidify this so-called kitchen. The disbelieving friends are actually capable of altering the structure so that it would survive, but they think it is unnecessary :(
And now that you mention it, it makes sense that people wouldn't want to ruin their expensive cameras by trying to film major dust storms.
Oh well, there's still a month to deal with this.
vaddynwashere

Postby pink » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:09 am

Just google 'burning man dust storms'. There have been plenty posted around eplaya as well. And some photos of the aftermath of a storm, like car windows after being hit by a flying carport. And it's not just the destruction of your camp, it's the safety of your neighbors. I don't want to be impaled by an EZ-up leg, or my van damaged by your unsecured shade structure.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:23 am

you could just Google "Burning Man" & "Dust storm" and look on the youtube links it pulls up, but being helpful-like I did it for you.

This is a favorite of mine from 2007

If your friends want to be asshats & not reinforce the shade structure, tell them to at least camp on the very back block far away from people so when it blows down it only wrecks your own stuff.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby vaddynwashere » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:08 am

I'm well aware of the dangers presented by strong winds and flimsy structures (even without witnessing such accidents). Have no concern, this issue will be worked out :)
vaddynwashere

Postby lemur » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:24 am

yer friends are fuckin idiots with no clue...by not taking it seriously they arent endangering gear alone.. but people ..

ive seen some wicked winds out there.. here is a report from 2002..

The Condition Alpha (just after) Burning Man 2002

On the Tuesday following Burning Man 2002, a thousand or so poor souls experienced "Alpha", which started with no warning at midday and lasted for almost three days, with sustained winds at 70mph gusting to over 100mph. DPW did their best, they locked down Burning Man (you couldn't see to find your way out anyway). People were injured (although none seriously) and everyone was left shaken and reminded why it says on the ticket "By Attending This Event You risk Serious Injury or Death". Greeters told us "we dodged a bullet, this could have caused great injury and even fatalities". We helped our friends (11 year veterans) in desperate need and I left with a determination to tell the story of Alpha/2002
http://www.damer.com/pictures/events/bu ... guide.html

i wasnt there to see that..

but seriously, its not a joke..

the playa will rip your shit to shreds and send yer gear flying around smashing in to anything if not well secured.

Poorly secured tents, structures and loose objects can fall on people or blow miles away. Black Rock Desert summer temperatures can range from the 30s to 100s (F). Afternoon wind speeds range up to 30 mph, and may gust to over 70 mph. Thunderstorms and whiteouts (blinding dust storms) can spring up unpredictably, and may last for hours or days.

https://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/bluetarp

if your shit cant stand 70mph winds ..yer doin it wrong.
Last edited by lemur on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:29 am

Q. What can I expect from the weather?
A. In Nevada, there is a saying: if you don't like the weather, stick around for five minutes and it will change. Only one thing is completely predictable about the weather in the Black Rock Desert: Unpredictability.

Be prepared for volatile extremes, and ready for anything and everything.

Thunderstorms and dust storms arise with breathtaking swiftness, transforming the playa into a gigantic mud puddle in a matter of moments.

Winds are often 20-30 mph under normal conditions, and winds from 40-70mph can be felt during a storm. You are advised to secure your tent, shade structure and loose items in preparation for this possibility.
http://www.burningman.com/whatisburning ... at_is.html
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby AntiM » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:10 am

We lost Center Camp at our regional, a dome and a bunch of EZups. It is in Utah, salt marsh, but similar wind conditions and often the same weather systems. This one was 46 mph (may have also had a micro-burst wind).

047 - Copy.JPG

048 - Copy.JPG

023 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:13 am

P1010412 - Copy.JPG

P1010408 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:15 am

P1010405 - Copy.JPG
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:38 am

lemur wrote:The Condition Alpha (just after) Burning Man 2002

On the Tuesday following Burning Man 2002, a thousand or so poor souls experienced "Alpha", which started with no warning at midday and lasted for almost three days, with sustained winds at 70mph gusting to over 100mph. DPW did their best, they locked down Burning Man (you couldn't see to find your way out anyway). People were injured (although none seriously) and everyone was left shaken and reminded why it says on the ticket "By Attending This Event You risk Serious Injury or Death". Greeters told us "we dodged a bullet, this could have caused great injury and even fatalities". We helped our friends (11 year veterans) in desperate need and I left with a determination to tell the story of Alpha/2002
http://www.damer.com/pictures/events/bu ... guide.html

i wasnt there to see that..

I think I saw part of that. I don't remember if I left Tuesday or Wednesday. However, my husband-to-be was there, and was evacuated to Reno from breathing the dust. (He was one of those asthmatics who found the dust on playa was bad for him.) I think he died once or twice in the ER. Putting together the puzzle pieces is difficult...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:30 am

That seemed like nothing compared to the Alpha that happened after the 2007 event. We had full (heavy) bins of gear getting blown over - after half an hour of under 1 foot visibility and this lovely view (yeah, there were raindrops too).

I started hearing a click-clacking sound against the van that we assumed was hail. I had to brave it to try and secure the bins a bit more, only to discover it wasn't hail, but little black rocks. Another hour or two, things started to clear up a bit but the skies still had that heavy duty yellow-orange glow and the sustained winds had to be pushing 45 mph…

If they're still not on board, it's probably time for you to put up or shut up. Either take the lead on the project and make sure it gets done, or stop harassing them and make your own personal contingency plan should the weather turn out to be as harsh as many suspect (remember, there does exist the possibility that it won't be that bad… mother nature likes to fuck with people).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby vaddynwashere » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:28 am

Thank you!
All advice taken, all articles read.
vaddynwashere

Postby Rice » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:25 am

They might have to learn the hard way. Make sure you camp up-wind from them ;) good luck!!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:53 am

As you have seen, mostly stills, most people don't video danger. In 2006 there was a destroyed dome on the 10 sound camp road. This is earlier 2000, when Xara camp blew down mid week:
If they are mathematical, have them look up the equation for wind force by area and speed.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby vaddynwashere » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:12 pm

Yes, yes and yes.
vaddynwashere

Postby Bob » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:11 pm

You don't specify what kind of awning they have, and you say "I have neither the tools nor skills to solidify this so-called kitchen".

Bizarre that anyone would try to reply to that.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Rice » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:03 pm

You might want to have your friends read this thread: http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33484
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby vaddynwashere » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:27 pm

Thank you for that thread. Reading it right now...
vaddynwashere

Postby captain mcguiver » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Wow, I was there for the Alpha storm in 2002. We built a submarine art car out of a school bus, which was also our transportation home 700 miles away. (big mistake)

We had just finished packing up camp when the storm hit on Tuesday. We had to stop completely. Fortunately the bus was good shelter, but was very cramped. We waited hours for it to stop, then inched towards center camp and met Drakka, who was about to be retired for the burn. We got up the next morning on Wed and power shifted our crippled clutch back to Empire where a local we befriended helped us replace it. We got out just before the wind picked up again. It was pretty brutal. We have pictures of us that look like we aged 50 years, white beards covered in dust. I guess we got kind of lucky. Kind of. Took a week to drive back home.

Oh and my first year? Yeah- I was camped with XARA. The picture of the nuked camp above. We spent months building that thing, had one public party on Wed. And Thursday it blew down. I remember re-attaching a disconnected guy line the night before it went down. The camp was at 2:00pm corner, and took a pretty heavy brunt of the wind. At least it forced all us Burgins to go explore other camps that year. The amount of moop was insane. You can see that from the picture. No one was grabbing bits off plastic flying down the open playa. They were busy getting UV flourescent tube glass out of their hair, happy that no one was injured.

In 2006 I watched a ez-up-canopy tent fly 50 feet into the air like a tornado grabbed it and come crashing down into a girls chest. She got a free helicopter ride- to Reno ER.
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Hey, vaddyn, I know you're catching some flak in this thread, but know that we appreciate your being responsible and trying to convincing your campmates to step up.

I know reading this and other, similar threads has reminded me to not once trifle with the dangers of the Black Rock Desert.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby vaddynwashere » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:24 pm

To Boyscout girl -
I got vital information I would've otherwise spent hours looking for, just by asking. Ultimately, the tone in which responses are posted doesn't matter. It's the information itself that matters :)
So cussy or not cussy, I'm still listening :)
vaddynwashere

Postby AntiM » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:55 pm

In 2002 we were in camp when a moderate whiteout hit, we hung onto the poles and tarps of our shade for dear life. They ultimately held, but the next year we went to carports. Only took us a couple more years to figure out our current clamshell configuration.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:33 pm

captain mcguiver wrote:In 2006 I watched a ez-up-canopy tent fly 50 feet into the air like a tornado grabbed it and come crashing down into a girls chest. She got a free helicopter ride- to Reno ER.

That helicopter ride was not free. I hope she had insurance. One reason to consider buying travel insurance for this trip.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby pink » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:44 pm

And if you're airlifted (or ambulanced) during the event, there's the little problem of finding a way back to the playa too. One of my campmates last year had the experience in a previous year. Not fun!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby moonrise » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:03 pm

NTS, Remember to NOT wrangle carport in high winds & use MANY rebar stakes & ratchet straps to secure. Thank AmtiM and MyLarry for the clamshell configuration..ty!

I've done the clamshell method for a carport without the added special legs and it worked great (including high wind snowstorms in the Sierras!!)
IIRC, AntiM and MyLarry use those added legs for headroom clearance.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:05 pm

moonrise--
what kind of rebar and how much of it do you use in the clamshell, I'm trying to figure out how much to bring.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby captain mcguiver » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:23 pm

Can you post the clamshell config?
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby Pippi » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:41 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:Hey, vaddyn, I know you're catching some flak in this thread, but know that we appreciate your being responsible and trying to convincing your campmates to step up.

I know reading this and other, similar threads has reminded me to not once trifle with the dangers of the Black Rock Desert.

Agreed! Excellent thread!
Pippi

Burning Since: 2011

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping