Where to buy prescription goggles?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Where to buy prescription goggles?

Postby LittleJack » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm just about ready to give up on contacts and go back to glasses full time, but I don't want to carry around a huge pair of over-glasses goggles. I'd rather get a nice small compact pair of prescription goggles, and just swap them out for my glasses on an as-needed basis. Any input where to buy small, non-tinted prescription goggles? I was looking at the prescription swim goggles, but those just look goofy to me.

Thanks,

-Little Jack
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!
LittleJack

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Re: Where to buy prescription goggles?

Postby Rice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:27 pm

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=prescription+goggles

Motorcross goggles? Ski goggles?

I have looked at many different options. Even checked out several local diving, skiing and motorcycle shops. Since I wear glasses, I settled on some BMX goggles that fit over my glasses. - Which worked fine standing in a 6 hr dust storm non-stop.

YMMV
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Zakolantern » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:36 am

http://www.zennioptical.com/ has three or four different models. You want the big ones that look like ski goggles. I have purchased from them many times (happy customer, no other relationship), and they are an outstanding product for the price -- your primary pair of designer glasses may be a bit better made, with a bit better optics, but it's close, and these are REALLY cheap.

I recommend highly.
Zakolantern

Postby portaplaya » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:55 pm

This is a question your optometrist should be able to answer. After all, they have your prescription, right?
portaplaya

Postby Zakolantern » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:35 pm

portaplaya wrote:This is a question your optometrist should be able to answer. After all, they have your prescription, right?

Your optometrist will have your prescription, and can tell you your pupilary distance (PD). Given those, you can order discount goggles online. It's something like $40 to buy them online at the low end, and $500 if you can find them in a physical store -- yes, that big a gap, thus my earlier recommendation. The $500 pair will be substantially better, but will get wrecked by a Playa dust storm just as fast, and thus aren't really worth it.

If anyone knows any sites that offer this service other than Zennioptical.com, please share -- Zenni doesn't have un-mirrored size medium or small goggles, and their mirrored ones are a bit dark for a whiteout.
Zakolantern

Postby maladroit » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:13 pm

http://www.riderseye.com/prescription.asp

They have sunglasses and regular goggles, all with dust and wind protection. They are vented so you may need to plug the holes, or not.

A lot of optometrists don't tell you PD. I had to break out the vernier calipers and carefully measure on my own.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby LittleJack » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:35 am

Thank you everyone for your awesome info. Maladroit, that site is fantastic, and absolutely exactly what I was looking for! They have small, light, cheap prescription goggles, perfect for keeping in my day bag or playa coat pocket, and they're cheap enough that I can buy a backup pair.

See you all in a few short weeks!
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!
LittleJack

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Postby maladroit » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Thanks...once you put prescription lenses in those they aren't technically cheap anymore, but they seem cheap to us poor souls who bought prescription glasses before the online opticians arrived. Zenni ski goggles are half the cost, but they are a simple clear lens floating inside the standard ski goggle.
maladroit

Postby sovietidaho » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Seconding Zenni, plus you can buy a pair or two of "back-up" glasses to take with you so you don't have to worry about your more expensive everyday glasses.

I also just ordered a pair of oversized prescription sunglasses from CheapGlasses123.com . I'm excited to have a glamorous pair of sunglasses!

Oh, and while we're playing the cheap glasses game, I just got a pair of $90 glasses for $14 shipping from Coastal.com (the code is at the top, it's "FIRSTPAIRFREE" on select styles). Probably not going to go there again, as they're pretty expensive for online glasses, but I'll happily take advantage of a promo! And no, I wasn't paid for this message with anything other than free glasses :P
sovietidaho

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Shocks for Shots 2013!

Postby Stickygreen » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:00 pm

I spent the money on prescription goggles 6 years ago, worth every penny!

all I did was find a nice pair of goggles i liked, and brought them to an optometrist, and asked for the lenses to be changed out, for prescription. they said OK...

Also don't forget to get the auto tint lenses, that way you can use your goggles day, and night!
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby portaplaya » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:14 pm

Stickygreen wrote:Also don't forget to get the auto tint lenses, that way you can use your goggles day, and night!

I believe that is called "Transition lenses", in eye-piece parlance.
portaplaya

Postby OhioBluey » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Rice wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=prescription+goggles

Motorcross goggles? Ski goggles?

I have looked at many different options. Even checked out several local diving, skiing and motorcycle shops. Since I wear glasses, I settled on some BMX goggles that fit over my glasses. - Which worked fine standing in a 6 hr dust storm non-stop.

YMMV

That link you posted is suspicious. It took hold of my broswer. Hopefully I clicked out of it in time.
You should be out parading around instead of staying home and reading a bloody book.
OhioBluey

Postby portaplaya » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:48 am

OhioBluey wrote:
That link you posted is suspicious. It took hold of my broswer. Hopefully I clicked out of it in time.

It's just a page that demonstrates googling for the words "prescription" and "googles". In other words, being a dick. Clearly the original poster KNOWS how to google. They were looking for testimonials and advice instead of just getting a list of online stores.
portaplaya

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:50 am

America's Best has a line of sports goggles which take prescription lenses. Some of them look okay, some look a bit too ventilated. I made my own by gluing old lenses into cheap goggles.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:23 am

Portalplaya - you'd be surprised at how many people post threads asking fairly easy questions instead of taking the trivial amount of time it takes to do their own research. The response Rice posted last year was snarky, but still helpful (and thankfully he didn't resort to name-calling).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby portaplaya » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:37 am

trilobyte wrote:Portalplaya - you'd be surprised at how many people post threads asking fairly easy questions instead of taking the trivial amount of time it takes to do their own research. The response Rice posted last year was snarky, but still helpful (and thankfully he didn't resort to name-calling).

Actually, I am not in the least surprised. But again, such snark is a refusal to understand that people came to eplaya expecting an answer based on personal experience or expertise. A google search is neither, so this is sort of a non-answer that clutters up a thread. Much like this discussion... :wink:
portaplaya

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks