Question for the women only!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Lessened flow

Postby Friendly Jen » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:08 am

I'm a big girl and I tend to have a heavy flow, out on the playa it's really lessened. Actually after about 2 days it stops all together from all the running around I do. What I have found works is using the handicapped restroom, and making sure to bring babywipes. If saving whatever you are using is a problem in terms of odor just buy one of those baking soda boxes from the grocery store you would normally put in the fridge. MUCH cheaper than crushed asprin. I have also found it nice to have one of those battery powered showers with the movable showerhead because then you can actually reach those private areas and feel really clean.

if you want an example of the one I used it can be viewed here:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=827-500
Friendly Jen

Re: Question for the women only!

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:10 am

And another bump for the newbs.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 am

Dear gentlemen,

this is why brown towels were invented.

thats all im gonna say, except i earned my red wings YEARS ago....
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby lemur » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:56 am

I stumbled upon this community today as I was looking for information about using menstrual blood to paint with. It's an idea I've been interested in for a long time. I promised a friend of mine I'd make a painting for him with my period blood, and decided that today was the day...

..thanks to your encouragement and support I have finished my second painting. This is a re-make of my original highlighter-drawing of myself being killed by a bear. I think it's better in some ways, but lacking in others. I absolutely suck at doing hands. Maybe I'll add more grass around them to hide them a little better. The blood looks great, especially in real life. Super gory! I changed the bear to a brown bear b/c I originally didn't have a brown highlighter and there aren't really polar bears in regular forests, though the white would've looked awesome with all that blood

http://blood-art.livejournal.com/
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:47 am

I think the hands are a lot less funny looking than the bear.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:33 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I think the hands are a lot less funny looking than the bear.

...and the grass, for that matter.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:20 am

I do think that the levitation over the grass as she is devoured is a nice touch. Sorta like what you'd expect in a hagiography (sp?).
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:22 am

The bear is earning his Red Wings. That's why he gets to fly.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:27 am

And then there are the classic exes for eyes...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:28 am

I think we can agree that it's a masterpiece.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby ohCarie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:15 pm

One word : IUD. No periods, no worry. :D
"It's not that I'm so old, it's that I'm so drunk." -Felony
ohCarie

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BDC

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:53 pm

It varies. I'm from the generation that heard of and saw pictures of the Dalkon Sheild. Anything that spikey inside me, would cause me worry.
The thing about birth control...every one's different. One more reason to develop more methods. I think the pill is poison, but I'm glad to see that it's now acceptable to have a period every 6 months or every year. That would work, in this case, too. I dealt with it when I was bleeding on playa. As far as I can tell, it's not likely to be an issue this year. And maybe not in the future.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:17 pm

ohCarie wrote:One word : IUD. No periods, no worry. :D

Clarification: only the progestogen IUDs stop menstrual bleeding. The copper-only IUDs tend to increase flow, if anything.

Crypto wrote:The thing about birth control...every one's different. One more reason to develop more methods.

Here, here! Also, you were good to trust your gut re: the Dalkon Shield. According to Wikipedia, its use was discontinued after causing "severe injury to a disproportionately large percentage of its users."
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby delle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:03 pm

DIVA CUP!!! (or as someone suggesting on crimson tide: TWO DIVA CUPS!!!)

Crimson Tide: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5610&hilit=crimson+tide&start=30
Diva Cups: http://divacup.com/?gclid=CLGB8PvturECFYao4AodGx4AWA

Then you get to save all the nice pristine non-stinky blood for art. Surely someone can put it to good use.

Seriously, why anyone uses anything but this is just a mystery to me. It changes everything all year round!
Worry is a misuse of imagination
delle

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:48 pm

I tried one once. I found it difficult to insert. Back in the day a preferred a slight squat for tampons. Forced to do full on sitting and over the toidy (when I might drop it! and then have to figure out how to sterilize it!) did not equal a fulfilling experience.
Just as in birth control, different people with different bodies have different experiences and different preferences. You don't have to understand someone else's experience to accept that she knows best for her.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby delle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:56 pm

True enough.

Except yours is the first account I've ever heard from someone who rejected it AFTER having tried it.

Most just go :shock: Nooooooooooooooo. and never even gamble that it might be a godsend.

And why full on sitting. Same slight squat (if that) is all that's necessary. Fold it in two and in you go.
delle

Postby delle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:58 pm

delle wrote:And why full on sitting. Same slight squat (if that) is all that's necessary. Fold it in two and in you go.

For ME, of course.....
delle

Postby delle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Oh fuck.

I just realized who I was talking to.............

I'm so sorry.
delle

Postby danibel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:29 pm

delle wrote:DIVA CUP!!! (or as someone suggesting on crimson tide: TWO DIVA CUPS!!!)

Crimson Tide: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5610&hilit=crimson+tide&start=30
Diva Cups: http://divacup.com/?gclid=CLGB8PvturECFYao4AodGx4AWA

Then you get to save all the nice pristine non-stinky blood for art. Surely someone can put it to good use.

Seriously, why anyone uses anything but this is just a mystery to me. It changes everything all year round!

I agree. My first burn I was lucky enough to start my "monthly" in Reno right before we arrived...wow. I ended up buying 2 boxes of "extras." I had so many extra pads and tampons, I could have opened a theme camp and handed them out as gifts :idea:

After dealing with that - zip locks, paper, wipes and all that craziness, I bought a Diva Cup. I love love love the Diva. I am shocked that anyone would think it was harder to deal with than tampons. True - it takes a cycle or two to get used to, but after that, it is simply so much easier than tampons. My third burn I was at the end of my cycle when we arrived. It was so easy to take a wipe and zip lock to the porto - empty the cup and give it a wipe and reinsert. Only the wipe to stow and carry.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby ohCarie » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:16 pm

Yes, sorry. The Mirena is the IUD du jour. It has the hormones and works wonderfully to all but stop the flow. Oh, and stop the flow of inconvenient microhumans too. Of all options, it's fool-proof and very few side effects. It's taken a long time to shake the stigma of the dalkon shield. A real mess.

Anyway, back to discussion of tips for my bleeding brethren :)
ohCarie

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:02 pm

ohCarie wrote:...stop the flow of inconvenient microhumans ...

I prefer to call it "the flow of inconvenient micro-half-humans," myself. :twisted:
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby ohCarie » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:24 am

See, an IUD stops the flow of ALL humans. That's kinda the point. The other flow stopping is just a delightful bonus :)
ohCarie

Postby shroom » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:32 pm

An option I tired was to get a bucket of kitty litter for your tent. Dump part of the litter in a box, then use this bucket for pee only. As you use it, use the kitty litter you dumped out to sprinkle on top. It gives you your own "potty" and cuts down on the smell. You can put your wipes and sanitary products in there too. You of course need to pack it out and dispose of it and use the porta potties for "2".
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
shroom

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Best invention ever for on playa use to keep clean - the Peri-Bottle. Someone gifted me one a long time ago, is like a 8 oz squeezie bottle with a small closable spritzer on the end; fills from your water source, like a porta-bidet for the portasquats, and none of those damned fuqin' baby wipes to get dropped in the squats. Whether or not Auntie Flo comes to visit you while you visit the playa.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:06 pm

What's really fun is to look up "Peri bottle" on the website for my usual favorite online retailer . . . aha! these are just little squeezee bottles! cool! . . . and note that the top result has 23 reviews, averaging 4 out of 5 stars (incredible! I simply must click through and see why this is so amazing) . . . while another bottle, further down the list, has only 1 tragic and ignominious star.

That's some low karma right there. Being just a lowly peri bottle in this life, and not only that, but a one-star peri bottle. :shock:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Do NOT, repeat, do NOT get the ones in artist supply stores with the single "needle jet" opening - unless you really like your girly bits in pain - get the real deal. I just noticed that a case of 50 are all of $14... I may do that for gifts this year... Hell of an idea.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby LostinReno » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:52 am

ohCarie wrote:Yes, sorry. The Mirena is the IUD du jour. It has the hormones and works wonderfully to all but stop the flow. Oh, and stop the flow of inconvenient microhumans too. Of all options, it's fool-proof and very few side effects. It's taken a long time to shake the stigma of the dalkon shield. A real mess.

Anyway, back to discussion of tips for my bleeding brethren :)

The Mirena was awesome when I had it! I've since had a tubal ligation and the novasure ablation. Haven't had that issue in over 5 years! If you're not into having children....ever, or are done having them I strongly suggest looking into it. It's been worth every penny.
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:35 am

Ok, this will be a weird one coming from a guy, but, ladies, give me some advice please.

On the subject of showering -- I had a long convo last night with a friend of mine (girl) who will be going to bman for the first time this year. She will be on her period during bman, and seemed to be of the opinion that she could just take a shower bag with her and another girlfriend out into the deeper playa and shower. She explained that there will be some... red drainage... involved in the process. I explained to her that the concept of leaving a bloody patch on the playa (regardless of where) is not acceptable. A tough thing to try to do as a guy, but I forged ahead regardless.

My suggestion to her was to shower in a bikini, at camp, with a tampon in, over our grey water tarp, then get rid of the tampon with the processes discussed here (paper bag + burn, or ziplock bag and pack it out). She said that part of the showering process is to clean up down there and allow some drainage... I didn't have a good solution for this. The only way I could conceive of doing this would be to shower naked and bleed on the tarp & let it dry.

This obvoiusly doesnt seem like a good thing, and she said she wouldn't be comfortable leaving blood on a tarp near our camp to dry in the sun (she's cool about most things, just not that). The only non-burgin girl in our group was not on her period last year, so I dont know what advice she can offer on showering, but I told this girl to ask her.

Suggestions, please?

Thanks!
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby FeetOfClay » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:41 am

yes, i did some occult calculations and divined that i would be menstruating during event week. i cannot abide that.

so, i am gonna be taking my BC pill packs back to back that week to avoid the menses week. i usually never mess with my hormones like that, but as a first year Burner, i have way too many things to worry about already without adding blood to the equation. :twisted:
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 am

FeetOfClay wrote:yes, i did some occult calculations and divined that i would be menstruating during event week. i cannot abide that.

so, i am gonna be taking my BC pill packs back to back that week to avoid the menses week. i usually never mess with my hormones like that, but as a first year Burner, i have way too many things to worry about already without adding blood to the equation. :twisted:

So best idea is for her to load up on BC pills prior to and during the burn? I also mentioned that to her, so she is going to pursue that option (is this a guaranteed solution?). In case it doesnt work, is there a preferred method for showering while on one's period?
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks