Filtered water in Fernley?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Filtered water in Fernley?

Postby billgilman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:41 pm

Hey there y'all

Wondering if there's a water store or other source for filtered water in Fernley? We will need about 100 gallons.

Thanks

Massive
billgilman

Re: Filtered water in Fernley?

Postby captain mcguiver » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Wondering this as well. A google map search doesn't come up with anything. Don't want to have to go West to Reno just to get water if I don't have too.

Silver Springs maybe?
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby Hondovious » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:03 am

There is a Walmart in Fernley that has a Culligan dispenser to refill your own containers with. I have 4 seven gallon jugs I fill up there. I think it is around 30 cents a gallon.
Hondovious

Burning Since: 2011

Postby billgilman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks for this! We're hoping to fill a 55 gallon drum, so if anyone has a lead on a water store type situation, please post it, but this will do in a pinch!

ps. The Gerlach water sale is good for shower water but tastes funny to me
billgilman

Postby captain mcguiver » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:31 am

Yes, the thing about the water stores in Reno is they can pull up a hose to your truck so you don't have to unload the 55 gallon drum at all. I don't have a lift gate on my truck, nor would I like to ever touch the 55 gallon drum until it's empty again. Hopefully the Gerlach thing is happening again this year, but it's awfully scary to wait until then to get water. Would love a place in Fernley or Fallon that could get a hose out to the truck.
captain mcguiver

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:00 am

My understanding is that the same local sources will be offering water again, during the same hours of operation as 2011. It will likely be mentioned in the JRS (again) as we get closer to the event.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Canoe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:22 pm

captain mcguiver wrote:... Hopefully the Gerlach thing is happening again this year...

It is. I got the info (pricing, days, hours) from gerlachgid@yahoo.com. You can too.
The info they gave me said they're having a limited number of dumpsters available for $5 a bag. When they're full, it's over.

I posted the 2012 info on ePaya but the info was removed as it was deemed "commercial".
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:32 pm

Canoe wrote:
captain mcguiver wrote:... Hopefully the Gerlach thing is happening again this year...

It is. I got the info (pricing, days, hours) from gerlachgid@yahoo.com. You can too.
The info they gave me said they're having a limited number of dumpsters available for $5 a bag. When they're full, it's over.

I posted the 2012 info on ePaya but the info was removed as it was deemed "commercial".

Really?
Thats really silly.
People are specifically looking for the information. You have the answers and the details, but can't share it because its commercial. Even though the information has be released the last 2 years in the JRS.
Very very silly.

I've also been wondering about this. If memory serves me, it would have already been in a JRS by now. I was pretty excited to see someone had already started a topic on this.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Canoe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:38 pm

illy dilly wrote:Really?
Thats really silly.
People are specifically looking for the information. You have the answers and the details, but can't share it because its commercial. Even though the information has be released the last 2 years in the JRS.
Very very silly.
I've also been wondering about this. If memory serves me, it would have already been in a JRS by now. I was pretty excited to see someone had already started a topic on this.

And the info for the past two years was posted on ePlaya. (Still was, when I looked after this year's was deleted)
But you can get it yourself from Gerlach's email address, which was also posted in the past.
Last edited by Canoe on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby captain mcguiver » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:43 pm

Here's what they sent me RE: Water .

For Burning Man 2012:

The Town of Gerlach will again be selling potable water for RVs and portable water containers. We will also have containers for sale on a first come basis. We have two sizes of containers, 15 gallon for $45.00 and 6 gallon for $20.00. Purchase of a container entitles you to free water for your container. We will have ample filling stations in front of our town shop located at 330 Diablo Drive. As you enter town on Main Street, directional signs will help you locate the water station filling area. Our rates are $.50/gallon up to 100 gallons, $.45/gallon for sales above 100 and less than 200 gallons, and $.40/gallon for sales greater than 200 gallons. We will not be taking reservations for water sales or containers as we have in the past. All water sales are on a first come basis.
Our Days and Hours of Operation will be as follows:

*Hours and Days
Water Sales
Monday, August 20th – Thursday August 23rd
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Friday, August 24th – Monday, August 27th
6:00 a.m. to midnight
Tuesday, August 28th – Wednesday August 29th
9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

We can only accept cash at the water sales area. An ATM machine will be available for your convenience.

Our decision to sell water before the event and collect trash after the event is an attempt to keep our water rates reasonable for the citizens of Gerlach. Our water comes from two springs at the foot of the Granite Mountain Range and is treated at our state-of-the-art water treatment facility to insure that the highest safety standards are met. Unfortunately, the initial cost for this water system, which was mandated by the federal government, and the ongoing maintenance, has placed a huge burden on our 150 residents, many of whom are seniors on fixed income. In addition to helping the town residents, buying water here, will increase your fuel efficiency by reducing the weight you need to carry by bringing your own water. Water is heavy, more than 8lbs/gal. This should save you money in gas in addition to helping our town.
captain mcguiver

Postby Canoe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Yup. Matches what they sent me on July 3rd. (And again on July 12th for some reason)
Did yours include the info about the dumpsters too?
I posted that and the dumpster info.
Canoe

Postby captain mcguiver » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:05 pm

Yeah I got the dumpster info too, I can post it or PM if anyone wants it. I think it was on the Blog and maybe Jackrabbit as well.

I tried to remain on topic :)
captain mcguiver

Postby offarock » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:07 pm

Now what about Fire water in Fernley?
This signature left intentionally blank.
offarock

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Silicon Village - Squirreltopia

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:16 pm

The thread plugging one joint's water sales was pulled, yes. As I explained in the PM that was sent explaining, the info regarding local resources was still being compiled and would be posted as an announcement once the communications team had all the info together and got the JRS issue out. That's just finally happened, a local resources announcement is forthcoming.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Canoe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:09 pm

trilobyte wrote:The thread plugging one joint's water sales was pulled, yes.

O.K. then.
To be clear on "commercial" plug bans, is
captain mcguiver wrote:Here's what they sent me RE: Water .
For Burning Man 2012:
The Town of Gerlach will again be ...

providing information or a commercial plug?
Last edited by Canoe on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canoe

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:11 pm

I didn't check, but it's probably linked from this page.
Crap, I thought that you were talking about Gerlach.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:43 pm

jeebus!! next it'll be who's got Perrier, I don't like the taste of tap water........

hell, when I was a kid, we drank from hoof prints in the mud............yada, yada, yada........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Yeah, but you were living in a shoe box in the middle of the road...

I think you bathed in those hoof prints, too.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:51 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Yeah, but you were living in a shoe box in the middle of the road...

I think you bathed in those hoof prints, too.

ah yes....simpler times..........my little shoe box.........bathing and drinking from hoof prints.........eating bugs and howling on full moons.
Where does the time go?
now, I'm old and soft, not chiseled granite, but a scoop of vanilla in the sun.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Return to Food & Drink