Tell me about Participating in something specific

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Tell me about Participating in something specific

Postby RedHeaven » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi Virtual Burny friends! I created this thread just to kick myself in the butt a bit and thought I could use some ASSistance with that.

Honestly, I am what I coined a Third Tier Burner. First Tier would be a burner who is in charge of a theme camp or piece of art, or one who volunteers the whole damn thing and then some, etc....Second tier would be someone who is really involved, whether they play in a garage band at Hair of the Dog, Host multiple workshops or parties, something like that. Third tier? Thats me. I go, I support myself and Always bring extra, pass out tricks and treats, help with a theme camp by making things for it, am helpful, all that crap. (Not saying that anyones better than the other, this is all me just being nerdy and silly.)
Anyways, this is going to be my 7th Burn. It might be my last, as I gotta get some other shit done out there. (Third tier problems)
I wanted to get involved a little bit more, anyone have any stories or suggestions?
Honestly I want to meet people while working or doing a task, not just in passing or at tea.
I REALLY love meeting people and find there is a deeper level of communication through work.
If I pick three things to do, maybe I'll do one or 2 of them?
I was considering Lamplighters, Arctica, ??
My skills? People & a little bit of (most) everything else.

I have done the "Just let the playa take you, maaaan" many times, although always involved in a theme camp I have been pretty carefree out there schedule wise. We did a bacon and mimosa sunrise party in 09 once, that was super fun. But this time I want to be a part of something outside my circle on more of a worker bee level.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Re: Tell me about Participating in something specific

Postby CornMan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:38 pm

You could be a disc jockey or radio personality on our radio station. We have mainly morning and evening spots available. Message me if you'd like to do this.

Monday Aug 27:
7:00-9:00 AM Danielle (TattooGoddess)
9:00-10:00 AM Zeke Chaparral
10:00AM - NOON Dennis
2:00-4:00 PM Zeke Chaparral
4.00 - 6.00pm Jason
6:00- 8:00pm Danielle (TattooGoddess)

Tuesday Aug 28:
11:00AM-1:00PM Ian Brown Appreciation Set - Louise Freeman
1:00-2:00PM Akiva
4.00 - 6.00pm Jason
6.00 - 8.00pm Coco x

Wednesday Aug 29:
1:00-2:00 Michelle Lecours (co-host welcome)
4.00 - 6.00pm Jason
6:00 - 9:00pm Pajama Jammie Jam Live Feed (Will & Edwin)

Thursday Aug 30:
11:00-noon- "That's Whats Up" ( The & That)
Noon-1:00PM- Boss Lady Bee (60's soul)
1:00-2:00 PM Akiva
4.00 - 6.00pm Jason
6.00 - 8.00pm Coco x

Friday Aug 31:
1:00-2:00PM- Boss Lady Bee (reggae set)
4.00 - 6.00pm Jason
6:00-8:00 pm Danielle (TattooGodess)

Saturday Sept 1:
4.00 - 6.00pm Jason

Sunday Sept 2:
4.00 - 6.00pm Jason
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:52 pm

It's probably too late to join up with Arctica - it's kind of a coveted volunteer opportunity, and kind of late in the season.

Don't sign up for anything you think you might flake on. If you think you might do 2 out of 3, look for walk-up opportunities. Black Rock City has lots of places where you can help. You'll still be third tier (by your rules), but doing more matters.

Put lamplighters on your list - it's a great walk-up opportunity, which means you can go and do it on the day.
Put the BRC Post Office on your list - another great walk-up opportunity. Deliver mail and packages to camps, meet a lot of fun people along the way.
…lots of other stuff, there's even a job placement thing over at playa info if I remember correctly…
Work a shift at the Idea Deli (my camp), basically sharing good ideas, bad ideas, any kind of ideas with random people. Show up on the day (we're on 8:30 at Esplanade) or PM me with your email addy if you'd like to 'sign up for a shift.'

If you do want to be proactive enough to sign up and stick to a scheduled shift, I think Greeters is still looking for help, as is Playa Info (big influx of newbies means we'll probably have a big influx of people looking for help). If you want to be hardcore, I'd say take a look at Gate, Perimeter, and Exodus. Want to help make getting into Burning Man go more quickly and more smoothly for everyone… GPE is the way you do that.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:00 am

If you see yourself a third tier burner, there must be tenth tier burners in the great chain of being. With 6 years experience you have a lot to contribute!

I volunteered with the Hotwheelz camp, it is a new crew and new name, the Department of Mobility. I've volunteered at the airport, but they are probably booked. Both of those jobs involved a lot of interaction with really great coworkers while providing an essential person to person service that didn't have a mob of customers.

If you enjoy giving fashion advice, the Black Rock Boutique is a fun crowd. Playa Info would benefit from your knowledge. Many camps offering services are clustered at center camp and on the plazas and may be short volunteers. I've always enjoyed the vibe at Heebeegeebee Healers camp. Temple Guardians is an intense job, but important - hope they work in pairs, rather than solo. Always been curious about Earth Guardians and the Artery. If you have the time, the Reno airport info group would connect you with people arriving from afar. There is a whole volunteer section on the main BM website filled with ideas to match to your passions!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby AntiM » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:24 am

Temple Guardians do work in pairs. I did enjoy it, but we ended up with too many people on shift (midnight is a confusing time apparently) so Larry and I bowed out that night.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby RedHeaven » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:55 am

These are great you guys, I appreciate it a lot. When I find out what my camp wants of me and when I will be able to hone in. I am going to make myself a guide and take it with me and see what happens. Sometimes planning and guidance is underrated in BRC...Go with the Flow is so noob ;) j/k
RedHeaven

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:59 am

trilobyte wrote:It's probably too late to join up with Arctica - .....<SNIP>If you want to be hardcore, I'd say take a look at Gate, Perimeter, and Exodus. Want to help make getting into Burning Man go more quickly and more smoothly for everyone… GPE is the way you do that.

Alas, GP&E is officially full up for new volunteers this year. You can always check in with us later in the week to be sure Exodus doesn't still need some people to help shuttle everyone out of the city. We can be found at 5:40 & D...the Black Hole.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:09 am

Woohoo, I'm glad to hear it LoR!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:22 am

Build a coal-fired, steam-powered SteamPunk electrical generator and use it to run a public satellite phone. The details are up to you.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:46 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Build a coal-fired, steam-powered SteamPunk electrical generator and use it to run a public satellite phone. The details are up to you.

Kinda thinking of things I don't have to spend my life savings on to build, but this sounds just Dougly! :D

Trilo, I really hope to make it to your camp! Its good to take a mission cross playa a few times. Maybe I can give out some bad ideas during a dust storm, like how Simon says, wear Beige.

Lamplighters is first on my list.

I'll be hovering around Center Camp a lot this year since a friend is at a disabled camp this year helping his dad. (woohoo!) I'll be sure to check in with Playa info, the Boutique, and see what flashes at my brain. Really stoked to get out of my head a bit. Long Overdue.
RedHeaven

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:23 pm

Just messing with you. Don't worry, you'll find something. The playa provides!
Ugly Dougly

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Gotcha! Along those lines I COULD try to get Gnomestradomus Gigantic Playa Turd project funded.....Damn might be too late.
RedHeaven

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Yep, a little late for that. :)
Well, by this thread, you may interest some cool camp or art project to contact you off-line.
But you're been here long enough, and you've probably heard of plenty of cool projects that you could help out with. I'm sure they won't mind if you take the initiative.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Gonzo Frothwood » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:58 pm

I've been a full time volunteer for the Pottie Project for the last 4 years. Anyone can volunteer and see the city.
Find me at 4:30 & A - ask anyone there. We leave at 7am and are driving all day. If you see a grandma car (burgundy) just jump in. 4 hr shift and it's the most enriching experience you will have. No shit - just ask. We just hum TP all over the city. we don't clean them, just moop around.
"There is nothing so over-estimated as a piece of ass, and nothing so under-estimated as a good and greasy shit." Boneman Johnson
Gonzo Frothwood

Return to Get Involved!