Collapsible Water Carrier Recommendations?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Collapsible Water Carrier Recommendations?

Postby sovietidaho » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:20 pm

I'd love to be able to pack in all my water in collapsible carriers so they will take less space when I leave. However, all the ones I'm looking at on Amazon have three stars or less, and all the negative reviews list leaks and split seams :-( Given the nature of Burning Man I need a product I can trust. It's not like I can just run to the grocery store for more water!

Does anyone have recommendations with links for collapsible containers they've successfully used in the past? I'm interested in 5 gallon or similar.
sovietidaho

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Shocks for Shots 2013!

Re: Collapsible Water Carrier Recommendations?

Postby BBadger » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:36 pm

This review in one of the containers I found particularly relevant:

I bought 7 of these for Burning Man. I doubted there was a big difference between these and the more expensive ones ($10 vs. $17 or so), so I bought the cheap ones. All but one or two leaked, and nearly cost me $100 of expensive steam-cleaning for the van I returned smelling of mildew. If you weren't holding water in them for very long, I guess they'd be fine, but they literally leaked so much that water was dripping through the floor of the van - we had them all in garbage bags, and they basically leaked until the level of water outside the bottles was even with the level of the water inside the bottles. Mind-boggling!

Is space at such a premium when you leave that you need cheapo water containers? It's not like you're saving space bringing them into the event.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby sovietidaho » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Yeah, I read that one. Yikes!

My ride is an RV with 6 other people (and all their gear, with 4 of us tent camping). It's pretty impressive how much the careful tetris packing of 7 people can expand in one week on the playa. The more I can condense as I consume, the better. If I can't find something reliable, I'm fine with bringing solid containers. I was just wondering if anyone had any good experiences.
sovietidaho

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Any chance you can just tie them down on top on the way home?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:57 pm

We used collapsible water carriers when we came to BM in 2000. We had a bunch of 20-litre ones and a bunch of 10-litre ones. Like you describe, we were tetris-packed into our van. We drove from Winnipeg and filled the containers in Reno. We were able to give up that extra space for a few hours on the way in but certainly would not have been able to do so for the full length of the drive (2 days each way).

The brand we used is called Reliance Fold-A-Carrier. Not sure if they're still available or if the quality is as good as it was 12 years ago, but we kept a few of ours and still occasionally use them when we go camping, and we've had no problems with them. Looking at reviews, I see complaints about them leaking with heavy/frequent use. Other people report "pinhole leaks" after "many years of use/folding," and still others say they "last forever." A week at Burning Man should be fine so long as you're relatively gentle with them (and my experience suggests that this is true).

The only complaint I have about them is that the handle is insanely uncomfortable. When you're carrying the big one full of water, the plastic corners are very hard in the palms of your hands. While camping last weekend, I found myself wishing I had work gloves when I had to haul it from the water tap.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby sovietidaho » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:49 pm

The brand we used is called Reliance Fold-A-Carrier.

Ooh! Looks like I can buy that brand in-town at REI. Maybe I'll pick one up tomorrow and punt it around the yard a bit, see how it holds up. Worst comes to worst, it's a $10 water balloon to drop on the neighbor cat ;-)
sovietidaho

Postby BBadger » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:59 pm

If it breaks, bring it back to REI as a defective product--as it is--for a refund.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Food & Drink