Playa Lung Dust Masks

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Playa Lung Dust Masks

Postby ApolloPan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 am

After some less than successful searches, I'm crowd sourcing this one question: where do we find Playa Lung Dust masks, please? Thanks for all your help.
ApolloPan

Re: Playa Lung Dust Masks

Postby moltensteelman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:38 am

if you search google for playa lung you will find your ansewer or just add .com
moltensteelman

Postby Rice » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:04 pm

Some people are more sensitive than others. I have tried many different options and find the easiest solution for me is a silk scarf.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=eplaya+dust+mask There have been several discussion on ePlaya regarding this exact subject. (scroll down to the 1st eplaya link)

Whatever you bring, make sure you have it with you 24/7! From all reports, it will be a dusty year..
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby bubbavic » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:21 pm

A standard shemagh backed up by a dust mask or another bandana should handle most situations. =)
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby ApolloPan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks everybody, I'm in favor of a trusty silk scarf myself, but it never hurts to have a few higher tech extras at hand :wink:
ApolloPan

Postby BBadger » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:30 pm

Bandanas are also nice gifts during night-time dust storms. ;)
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby TomServo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm curious to see how well these shmegmahs work in a real dust storm. While I agree, cloth does make a decent filter for light dustings...there's a reason why they make respirators...no doubt, partially because a bandanna isn't suitable for severe conditions. I'd have one on hand...just in case. You won't look like a hip burner, but at least you'll be able to breath.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:00 pm

bubbavic wrote:A standard shemagh backed up by a dust mask or another bandana should handle most situations. =)

Completely agree, though I use the shemagh (or keffiyeh) without anything else. If it's put on properly it's 2 thick layers of cloth blocking the dust (bonus for me - my beard acts as another dust barrier at my chin under the keffiyeh). Practice putting it on at home; I can get mine on in a few seconds if it's around my neck. Usually I wear it "half-done" (wrapped without tucking in one of the long sides) instead of a hat and it's amazingly quick to pull up the "dust mask" part if needed.

This video shows how I wrap mine, but it's missing a lot of instructions, so poke around all the other videos.

TomServo wrote:I'm curious to see how well these shmegmahs work in a real dust storm. While I agree, cloth does make a decent filter for light dustings...there's a reason why they make respirators...

I wore mine in 2010 when we were hit with a lot of dust storms without a problem. It proved to be the best & most comfortable dust mask I've ever worn out there & now I won't go without them (I think I have 6 of them now in different colors, so I can rotate them). Also, they make respirators for people working with toxic dusts in industrial settings; unless you have a condition that requires them I've always thought they were overkill on the playa. It's not like the bedoins of the Sahara had respirators...

Two things to look for in buying one:

1) Cotton. Cotton cotton cotton. Almost all of them are cotton, but I have seen some poly-blends. Don't do it. One of the nice thing with cotton is that you can tuck ice into the wrap when it's hot (only do this if you have replacement keffiyahs because it will get gross once the dust hits it...)

2) Size. Make sure it's big enough for you - a good keffiyah should be a square around 42"-44" a side. Fold it over once so you have a triangle, grab two points & stretch out your arms. It should be at minimum as long as your arms are, it's better if it's longer. I had a friend last year who got a keffiyeh & hated it, when I had him size it in his camp it was too short. He couldn't get a good wrap & didn't have enough left to make the dust-mask. I gave him one of mine & he wore it the rest of the week and is a convert now.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby TomServo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Also.. Playa dust is about the same as talcum powder. If you want to test out the filtering capability of a cloth mask, pour a little talc on the fabric..wrap it like a bag..then tap the bagged talc against your palm. Anything come through? that's whats going in your lungs.

Bedouins in the Sahara didn't have respirators, because bedouins didn't have latex or rubber factories. They had tents, which they hunkered down in during serious dust storms. While we have tents aplenty at BM, it can be a long walk to one in blinding white outs.
Last edited by TomServo on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomServo

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:02 pm

If you're sick of the dust, just leave. That's what I do.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby TomServo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:02 pm

If you wear a shemagh, the terrorists have won.

Basically, some folks prefer respirators or gas masks over bandanas. It's a personal choice...or a fashion faux pas for the less imaginative. After 14 years of fun on the playa, I've narrowed it down to the Czech M-10...since a full face respirator doesn't bother me..and it's preferable..to me..over a bag of dust tied to my face. Regardless..it's all what works for YOU!

TomServo

Postby Canoe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:31 pm

TomServo wrote:I'm curious to see how well these shmegmahs work in a real dust storm.

Wonderful.
Surprisingly cool in the sun.
Quick tuck for face exposed or not.
Protects the ears from direct wind when it really blows.
Tucks against sun glasses too.
I haven't tried it in anything over 30 mph yet.

Eric wrote:1) Cotton. Cotton cotton cotton.

Big time.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby ozzdan21 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:58 am

I have used the RZ Mask (http://rzmask.com/) for drywall work in the past and I have found it more comfortable and effective than a paper mask.

This will be my first time going to Burning Man and I will be bringing the RZ mask based on feedback received.

I called them last week and they gave me an online coupon code for Burning Man customers, "BM15" saved me a few bucks.
ozzdan21

Burning Since: 2012

Postby sharpstick » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:32 am

"cotton. Cotton, cotton, cotton . . . "

so, what kind of material is the shemagh? I was going to try using a sarong as one, but the cotton comment makes sense. how thick is the material? it looks like a thick loose weave. no time to order one at this late date.
sharpstick

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:12 am

sharpstick wrote:"cotton. Cotton, cotton, cotton . . . "

so, what kind of material is the shemagh? I was going to try using a sarong as one, but the cotton comment makes sense. how thick is the material? it looks like a thick loose weave. no time to order one at this late date.

Any military surplus store should have them in the $6 to $10 range.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:14 am

TomServo wrote:I'm curious to see how well these shmegmahs work in a real dust storm.

Like a champ. Been wearing one since 2007 and had no issues in the big blows in 07 or 08.
CapSmashy

Postby skippy3k » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:28 am

I love mine. Some tips; wash it a lot before wearing. I've bought new ones and been gifted other ones. In either case, they always seem to have a smell that isn't mine. Not necessarily a bad smell, but you will be breathing this smell in constantly, so you want to make sure you aren't sucking in fabric softener odors all day long, or someone's wet dog smell.

I also like having a few kinds with different fabric thicknesses. The thin ones I wear when there is low dust but freakin' hot out. The thicker ones are nice at night when it might be cooler or more dust being kicked up.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby MacGlenver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:50 am

I ordered this thing. Got it yesterday in the mail. Breathes well, easy to inhale, pretty comfortable. I didnt use a dust mask more than 5 mins last year, but i feel like being over prepared (aka prepared) this year. Also, we'll be giving away togas at camp Toga (7:15 & F), so we'll have so much extra cotton fabric that I can make my own shemag if I want to :).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OGVQK4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 am

MacGlenver wrote:I ordered this thing. Got it yesterday in the mail. Breathes well, easy to inhale, pretty comfortable. I didnt use a dust mask more than 5 mins last year, but i feel like being over prepared (aka prepared) this year. Also, we'll be giving away togas at camp Toga (7:15 & F), so we'll have so much extra cotton fabric that I can make my own shemag if I want to :).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OGVQK4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I was eyeballing those at Cabelas.
CapSmashy

Postby Marscrumbs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:26 am

Marscrumbs

Postby sharpstick » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:33 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
sharpstick wrote:"cotton. Cotton, cotton, cotton . . . "

so, what kind of material is the shemagh?.

Any military surplus store should have them in the $6 to $10 range.

it was $11, but looks good. i hope it's cotton. can't tell until i do a burn test. i LOVE burn tests!
sharpstick

Postby gibson_ » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:45 pm

I heard you get put on a terrorist watch list if you buy a shemagh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gibson_

Postby sharpstick » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:20 pm

yes, mine is cotton, made in pakistan by homeless orphans for ten cents a day. pretty fine work for kids!
i tried it on. it wraps pretty tight around my chin and is hard to breathe. i need to tweak the wrap so it hangs down more freely. looks like it does in that pic right there above this post.
sharpstick

Postby BBadger » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:36 pm

I broke down and bought a keffiyeh scarf myself. Really easy to wrap and pretty comfy. I like the look with goggles too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:33 pm

sharpstick wrote: pretty fine work for kids!

Yeah, they have tiny hands; it helps a lot!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby sharpstick » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:44 am

I tried the shamagh last year. it wrapped too tightly over my chin and breathing was hard. If it hung open more it would be better.
i think that dust is inhaled when it is blowing sideways and you are breathing from the airstream. if the air is rising up under a veil of some sort, (most of) the dust drops out. (I designed a vertical intake duct for gennies that uses this idea to minimize the air filter's work.)
i'll try to develop a looser tie method for the shamagh for this year.
sharpstick

Postby TomServo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:05 am

Canoe wrote:

Wonderful.
Surprisingly cool in the sun.
Quick tuck for face exposed or not.
Protects the ears from direct wind when it really blows.
Tucks against sun glasses too.
I haven't tried it in anything over 30 mph yet.

Eric wrote:1) Cotton. Cotton cotton cotton.

Big time.

I had absolutely zero problems with dust last year (2012). Given it really wasn't that dusty, compared to other years. I did, however, see ALOT of folks struggling with their Shemaghs! To be honest, I got more use out of this mask, just wearing it so they wouldn't see me laughing!

TomServo

Postby AbundantChoice » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 am

I use a mix of the Rz Mask (that's a lot like the playalung mask) and a long thick bandanna, depending on conditions. I really dig the Rz mask; it's pretty comfy, doesn't interfere with my goggle seal, and the filter parts are cheap and super easy to replace (and I usually end up replacing them twice over the duration; you'd be shocked at how dirty they get, especially if you take the mask on and off frequently)
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.
AbundantChoice

Postby TomServo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:33 am

AbundantChoice wrote:I use a mix of the Rz Mask (that's a lot like the playalung mask) and a long thick bandanna, depending on conditions. I really dig the Rz mask; it's pretty comfy, doesn't interfere with my goggle seal, and the filter parts are cheap and super easy to replace (and I usually end up replacing them twice over the duration; you'd be shocked at how dirty they get, especially if you take the mask on and off frequently)

Yup! Heard (and saw) a lot of good things about RZ masks! Getting one or two for this year.

TomServo

Postby AntiM » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:02 am

VOGmasks are alright, but I prefer scarves. Best use of a VOGmask: airplanes. Usually plane air dries me out and aggravates my asthma cough, but a mask kept me moist and breathing. I like them because they stuff into pockets easily. I would NOT want to wear one long term in a whiteout though.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear