DEAR SOUND CAMPS.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: DEAR SOUND CAMPS.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Do you mean that the sound camps stop their music dead in its track and scream, "ALL RIGHT, NO MORE TUNES TIL YOU PICK UP THAT MOOP!"

That would be swell.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby lemur » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:52 pm

id think more along the lines of... lotsa these people actually recognize some of the setlist artists.. and some may even look up to their awesomeness.. so maybe if JOE SHMOE the hottest DJ in the land, the one you admire and go to see to whenever you can, says PICK UP THE MOOP.. you actually might do it.. because hero dJ who you love says so.. (or camp that you love says so)

a lot more likely than some unknown Ranger whose albums youve never bought and who you dont have on your iPod saying to pick up some moop

how about the camps DO release a setlist in 2012 ?!

THURSDAY:

9:00PM: PICK UP MOOP

11:00PM: PICK UP MOOP

FRIDAY:

8AM: PICK UP MOOP

'sorry guys.. there was too much moop after last nights shows..we, as part of the COALITION OF SOUND CAMPS AGAINST MOOP are delaying things until you can learn to pick up yer trash' ...and then the coalition of 20 sound camps goes quiet for 4 hours.

and the news spreads

pick up yer fuckin moop.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:10 pm

quick confession.

i used to be a litterbug.

a long time ago, i didn't think twice. I was that asshole.

i can't do it now...even if i accidently lose a piece of paper, some stupid obsessive compulsive disorder takes over and i hunt it down or pick up two in return.

it's ridiculous i suppose, but you know where i learned that?

in black rock city.

it is one of many lessons i have learned in the dust and have tried to pass on to others out in defaultia.

it does work, people can change.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:39 pm

"Don't drink the Koolaid, MAKE THE FUCKIN KOOLAID, YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:45 pm

damn straight, sparky.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby DrYes » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:48 pm

lemur wrote:as in unless yer from a foreign country its ours as it's public land and we all have an interest in protecting it ?

does that really need to be explained ?

or are you just trying to create some kind of strife

Not at all. I read your post as trying to draw a line between you and "visitors". If I misread it, I apologize.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:00 pm

"Dear Sound Camps" is a love letter.

You buy tickets. In bulk.

For fifteen-plus years Black Rock City has been zoned to accommodate your habits.

Methinks you dost bitch too much.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:42 pm

DrYes wrote:
lemur wrote:as in unless yer from a foreign country its ours as it's public land and we all have an interest in protecting it ?

Not at all. I read your post as trying to draw a line between you and "visitors". If I misread it, I apologize.

Some languages make a distinction between inclusive and exclusive 1st-person plural pronouns. So there's a "we" that means "you and me (and maybe them)" and another "we" that means "me and them (but not you)". Sometimes I wish English had that.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:04 pm

catinthefunnyhat wrote:
DrYes wrote:

Some languages make a distinction between inclusive and exclusive 1st-person plural pronouns. So there's a "we" that means "you and me (and maybe them)" and another "we" that means "me and them (but not you)". Sometimes I wish English had that.

..and then there's just straight lemur-ese consisting of excessive "yer"s and guttural sounds that mimic the intellectually deafening(?) smack of one hand clapping.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby MrTetris » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:08 pm

-
Last edited by MrTetris on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrTetris

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Do More Now!

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:09 pm

catinthefunnyhat wrote:
DrYes wrote:

Indeed. Although, I hate conjugations. Not as much as I hate declinations, however. But I do like inflected languages. Go figure.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:16 pm

MrTetris wrote:-

aww that post was fine MrTetris.. whyd ya edit it away?

junglesmacks wrote:..and then there's just straight lemur-ese consisting of excessive "yer"s and guttural sounds that mimic the intellectually deafening(?) smack of one hand clapping.

yer gonna be eatin that creamed corn.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:00 am

Bob wrote:"Dear Sound Camps" is a love letter.

You buy tickets. In bulk.

For fifteen-plus years Black Rock City has been zoned to accommodate your habits.

Methinks you dost bitch too much.

now now, there is a method to my madness... :twisted:

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:12 am

and actually, since you mentioned it perhaps we should explore NEXT YEAR right now.

How do people feel about a "RAVE GHETTO"....like the old days.

Now hear me out....what if we were to take ALL THE BIG SOUND and isolate them DEEP PLAYA.....into a ZONE?

not only would this concentrate the sound to one area, it would also hopefully give the sound camps DISTINCT RESPONSIBILITY for their "City"...

no more 10 and 2 oclock war zones that spread out past the esplanade and beyond.

messy messy messy.

I LIKE having to make a mile trek to get to the PARTY and it also eliminates the HATE that goes on as a result of some people not liking the NOISE NOISE NOISE and the shiny shiny people.

WIN WIN...

you dont like the RAVERS? well, then stay the fuck away from the Dance Ghetto and you got no problem, right?

if the Ravers dont clean up after themselves there will be NO QUESTION as to who is responsible, since it will all be in one area, under the control of the LSC's and not some shifting line in the sand that DPW decides.

anyway, i'm getting ahead of myself, that's next years super secret social engineering experiment, and im just looking for feedback, since we have to begin making the appropriate designer drugs and matching neural visual stimuli to completely and totally brainwash our guests.

omg did i say that out loud?

Im Kidding....of course.....really....seriously....i promise.....crossing my heart....

BACK TO YOUR REGULAR REPROGRAMMING

"SIMON SAYS PICK THAT SHIT UP"

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby DrYes » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:and actually, since you mentioned it perhaps we should explore NEXT YEAR right now.

How do people feel about a "RAVE GHETTO"....like the old days.

I LIKE having to make a mile trek to get to the PARTY and it also eliminates the HATE that goes on as a result of some people not liking the NOISE NOISE NOISE and the shiny shiny people.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but I think that'd be downright sweet. A party's more fun when everyone around you is into it. I think it'd be fantastic to head out to a collection of clubs off in the deep playa. Nothing wrong with making a good party a little harder to get to.

Having said that, I enjoy walking by Distrikt or something during the day and dancing for 10 or 15 minutes before wandering off to the next experience. I wonder how the people who camp in the big sound camps would enjoy being isolated out there too. Seems cool at night, but for the LSSCs that aren't on during the day it could be kind of annoying to be so isolated. Perhaps that'd just be the price of throwing an awesome party in the deep playa.

I could see some people being disappointed to see the deep playa all 'developed' too, if only in one corner of it. It's already not as if being at the trash fence feels particularly distant or empty, but certainly more so than if Opulent, Root Society, Disorient, Nexus, etc etc are all going off out there.

Upsides and downsides. Would be interesting to try offering the opportunity one year to just one or two soundcamps as an experiment to see how all the different interests like the change. I bet the first year, at least, raving at an LSSC in the deep playa would be really popular with ravers of all stripes.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:56 am

i was being totally serious....i think a deep playa rave zone would address and potentially solve a number of issues.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:03 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:i think a deep playa rave zone would address and potentially solve a number of issues.

We already have a mobile one and it's the only "LSC" that I gravitate towards.. :wink:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:14 am

well in all Honesty i think a CONCENTRATION of the sound CAMPs into one area is a win win for all.

we'll call it DeadMau5chwitz, of course...

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:15 am

I'm 1000% supportive of people making useful suggestions and many of these are. But my preference would be fewer mobile PA's in the deep playa. It moves the moopfield out into areas which are impossible to find and demoop, many people like a relatively quiet deep playa experience, and dance participants can be sparse. The whole BM area closed by the trash fence is relatively small. The least utilized space is between the trash fence and the city between 5 and 10. It's the last frontier. The outer rings on 2 and 10 are also sparse. There is always room for gifted DJ's, but others should stay in their bedrooms. Let's also be honest, being a DJ is a good way to get laid, so they multiply like rabbits on the playa.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:18 am

some seeing eye has a very good point, and all roving Sound Cars MUST educate and inspire their participants to CLEAN THAT SHIT UP if they wish to continue enjoying this activity.

i was thinking more along the lines of a ghetto with a perimeter, as to keep the responsibility and the clean up contained.

its easier to keep tabs on them too...

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:31 am

Simon I think you have f*ck'n solved it! A ghetto AT the perimeter, pointing outward. Participants can demoop the fence for easy practice and awareness and it keeps the moopzone in a fixed location. Well played!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:44 am

imagine the dust storms...

i LOVE IT.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:25 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:we'll call it DeadMau5chwitz, of course...
Attachments
deadmau5schwitz2.png
deadmau5schwitz2.png (115.78 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:27 am

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby brcprincess » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Music and art are an equal part of my experience at BM. I've had many wonderful experiences dancing in desert and I appreciate the music the camps and art cars provide.

There are camps like Opulent Temple who raise funding at events throughout the year and who are a respected and long term part of the BM community. They dont buy tickets for their performers. Distrikt and Robot Heart seem pretty good too. I personally think these guys should get some funding because they are contributing an artform in music but I know some people disagree.

I think it's important to judge each camp/art car on its own merits.
brcprincess

Postby Ano » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:56 am

A report from the front lines.... Folks, I used to be one of "those" people. I admit it. I wore the beads and the pacifiers and waved the glowsticks around like a fucking douchebag. And then I got out of high school... but I still keep in contact with many of my "rave" buddies.

And Burning Man is on the target list, for a lot of folks. It's dangerous. I don't really touch the LSCs or MVs on Playa, since I grew out of my dancing shoes a long time ago (but I still appreciate the party, a lot!), but maybe that will chance this year, but either way, this is dangerous territory. I guess I haven't been around long enough to really talk much about this, but... ravers are coming, in droves, to the city, with no interest in anything but the big name DJs, really. I was grilled the other day as to why I missed the "epic legendary" OT white party on wednesday last year with their "sick lineup," and when I tried to tell people, "Well, that's really not the point, you see..." they scoffed and told me that I was in a venue with this and this and this and this musical artist, how could I have not went out and seen them!?

I don't know how to convey this danger properly, but my facebook feed does it well. When all the candy-ravers got back from their yearly pilgrammage to EDC, I saw a good chunk of my friends post things like "Next stop... THE BURNING MAN!", and I even had one person message me asking me if the lineup was posted yet.

I haven't been in this community long enough to offer a solution, but I really hope this contingent of x-tards who care nothing more than how cool their costume looks and how hot the person they are grinding on is doesn't manage to make it out to BRC. I don't know how to stop it, though. I don't know what I can personally do. They are on the horizon and planning.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:32 pm

on the flip-side...

wednesday night Root Society and Bootie Mashup will be Holding a Rootie-Bootie Mashup Pirate Party from midnight to 3 am for all of those that want to escape the Horde but still shake yer BOOTIE! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:How do people feel about a "RAVE GHETTO"....like the old days.

That is exactly how it was done.
I vaguely remember BRC maps from the 90s where a circle off to the side was labeled "RAVE CAMP" or something. Never visited it.
Perhaps there was wisdom in that placement.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:43 pm

Power.

use it wisely.
Attachments
teach.jpg
teach.jpg (180.66 KiB) Viewed 2232 times

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Theres Always One » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Ano wrote:A report from the front lines.... Folks, I used to be one of "those" people. I admit it. I wore the beads and the pacifiers and waved the glowsticks around like a fucking douchebag. And then I got out of high school... but I still keep in contact with many of my "rave" buddies.

And Burning Man is on the target list, for a lot of folks. It's dangerous. I don't really touch the LSCs or MVs on Playa, since I grew out of my dancing shoes a long time ago (but I still appreciate the party, a lot!), but maybe that will chance this year, but either way, this is dangerous territory. I guess I haven't been around long enough to really talk much about this, but... ravers are coming, in droves, to the city, with no interest in anything but the big name DJs, really. I was grilled the other day as to why I missed the "epic legendary" OT white party on wednesday last year with their "sick lineup," and when I tried to tell people, "Well, that's really not the point, you see..." they scoffed and told me that I was in a venue with this and this and this and this musical artist, how could I have not went out and seen them!?

I don't know how to convey this danger properly, but my facebook feed does it well. When all the candy-ravers got back from their yearly pilgrammage to EDC, I saw a good chunk of my friends post things like "Next stop... THE BURNING MAN!", and I even had one person message me asking me if the lineup was posted yet.

I haven't been in this community long enough to offer a solution, but I really hope this contingent of x-tards who care nothing more than how cool their costume looks and how hot the person they are grinding on is doesn't manage to make it out to BRC. I don't know how to stop it, though. I don't know what I can personally do. They are on the horizon and planning.

I know the people you speak of. We should all be terrified. :(
Theres Always One

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy