Artificial Grass / Astroturf ?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Artificial Grass / Astroturf ?

Postby Teknosuicide » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:35 pm

I got a 6x10 piece of astroturf this year for my shade and need to seal the edges so it isn't MOOPing all over the place. I have heard 3 different methods but not sure which one is going to work best and be most cost effective. 1) Burn and melt the edges 2) fold the edges over and duct tape it. 3) Sew it. (this might be out of the question as I do not have a sewing machine nor do I have access to one)

Has anyone had experience with this? Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Teknosuicide

Burning Since: 2009

Re: Artificial Grass / Astroturf ?

Postby C187 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:18 am

I'd fold the edge slightly, then take a handheld propane torch to under the fold, but not directly on it. Then duct tape the edge to be extra sure, and to discourage picking of the edge by people. But that's just me. You'll be fine melting the edges and picking off any loose chunks.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:29 am

It's my understanding that astroturf just sheds little bits from all over and that it does not belong on the playa.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:41 am

Last year we just folded tap around the out side edges. We found BRIGHT GREEN duct tape, so it sort of matched better than silver. We had a lot of success with laying the turf out flat, then putting a piece of duct tape half on the turf side- then folding the turf back a couple feet, and folding the unstuck half of the tap onto the back of the turf. Sort of sandwiching the turf between the tap like a hot dog in a bun. It sort of made a bright green border all the way around.

We found that when the Astro Turf if folded or creased it tends to loose more fiber from the folded area.
We figure that when you fold the backing it some how expands the weave and makes it easier for the stuff to come out. That why we just wrapped the tap around the edges of the turf.
Also, we didn't use the pre-cut measures/sizes. We went to the big box and ordered it off the roll. There might be some quality difference.

We also 'break' tested the turf.
1. A couple of us stood around and flapped the turf back an fourth.
2. We rolled it up, with the turf to the out side, then unrolled and rerolled with the backing on the out side.
3. Laid it out flat and dragged our feet all across it.
4. Picked out any fibers that looked loose
5. Vacuumed it two different directions. Sort of like North to south, then East to west.

This whole process pulled off most of the loose fibers.

Also, the part where people walk through our Gnome Garden we painted to look like cobble stones or 'yellow brick road'. The other parts that are just for show, besides set up and tear down, aren't walked on and didn't need extra sealing.

This all sounds like a lot of work and it would take all day, but it really doesn't.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:51 am

From the Burning Blog on playa restoration last year:

For example, we used to have a lot of trouble with feathers, plant matter and Astroturf. We spread the word to the community and asked you not to bring your feather boas, tree branches, straw bales and imitation lawns. And it worked!

Please, leave the astroturf at home. And don't think, "oh, it's only one little 6x10' piece...": multiply that by 5% or 10% of the population thinking that.. Please be the good example, not the sparklepony who thinks their feather head-dress is somehow exempt from the rules.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:53 am

ITYM: Feather head...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby CornMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 am

Eric wrote:From the Burning Blog on playa restoration last year:

For example, we used to have a lot of trouble with feathers, plant matter and Astroturf. We spread the word to the community and asked you not to bring your feather boas, tree branches, straw bales and imitation lawns. And it worked!

Please, leave the astroturf at home. And don't think, "oh, it's only one little 6x10' piece...": multiply that by 5% or 10% of the population thinking that.. Please be the good example, not the sparklepony who thinks their feather head-dress is somehow exempt from the rules.

Even if it's hemmed and put on a poly tarp?
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:04 am

Zeke Chaparral wrote:
Eric wrote:From the Burning Blog on playa restoration last year:

Even if it's hemmed and put on a poly tarp?

Yes, even then. Tiny plastic bits? moopy as all get out.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby misfit » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:10 pm

as with anything, you get what you pay for. quality turf can be purchased at the big box off the role, (as stated by dily). take the time to seal the edges with heat and you'll be fine, just be sure to roll and not fold. i've seen cotton and wool rugs give off their fair share of moop. if you notice your floor covering start to degrade, roll it up and pack it.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby maladroit » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Bad news: it doesn't really matter how much testing and research you've put into your specific roll of astro-turf. If you happily trundle up to Gate and they see something they perceive as a massive MOOP hazard, you will probably being seeing Reno again in a few hours. It doesn't have to be listed as an official forbidden item. Not worth the risk.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Return to Shelter & Camping