portable power pack recommendations

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

portable power pack recommendations

Postby usurpedus » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:48 am

some time ago I saw a thread here about power packs.. does anyone have recommendations for ones they've used?

looking for the type that can run small appliances..
usurpedus

Re: portable power pack recommendations

Postby winger » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:43 am

I have a duracell power pack that is recharged by a solar cell (i think 30w). It is costly (400$) for both. it takes 6-8 hours to recharge on a mild sunny day.. It has three power outlets. This sounds good but i think it is only for small items. It will run two 4" fans for 4 hours. They must be .3w. it will not last long for things like blenders. Any solar power packs that will power up anything significant will be very costly.
winger

Re: portable power pack recommendations

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Here are two threads to get you started. I found them by googling inverter eplaya. You might try some other combos if you like.

gonna buy a deep cycle battery & inverter. Recommendations?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45886

batteries, inverters, and power math for the masochistic
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41699

Check the online retailers for reviews, but try to buy one in your hometown from an auto store or other large place with a good return policy. The well-rated powerpack brands are (apparently) quite good, but they have to be charged fully every 30 days or so, and should not go too long from time of manufacture to first charge, or they fail. Online site reviews suggest that trying to return a bad powerback purchased online is almost always a HUGE pain in the tail.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Return to Power & Illumination