Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby Rice » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:51 pm

I have to point out that Burning Man is not a Festival. One can find any matter of music festival all over the world. Nothing can be compared.

It is very probable that anyone who talks about Burning Man as being a festival has at most attended once, and has failed to realize that it is so much more.

Whew, that has been begging to get off my chest for months.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Great White North, Saskatchewan, Canada
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby wh..sh » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:59 pm

stretch80 wrote:It is very probable that anyone who talks about Burning Man as being a festival has at most attended once, and has failed to realize that it is so much more.

What the point refuting your opinion? You have already decided that those who do has failed to realize that it is so much more.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
User avatar
wh..sh
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby CornMan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:08 pm

I say it is also so much less, and that's what makes it so much more for those who want a participatory experience or to those who want to spectate participatory behavior in other people. I hope its key concepts survive a while longer.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:11 pm

I've been going for many years and it's an integral part of my life all year long. I see it as an arts and cultural festival.
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10691
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Words mean what people decide they mean.
If people call Burning Man a "festival," the word has a broader meaning for them than it does for people who insist it's not one. Arguing about whether BM is a festival is like arguing about whether gasoline is wet (yes if by wet you mean "liquid," no if you mean "watery").
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
User avatar
catinthefunnyhat
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:24 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby BBadger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Is Everest not a mere mountain because there is no other mountain can compare in height (above sea level)?

I really can't think of any other event-genre besides "festival" to place Burning Man; so I use that term without feeling that I'm degrading the event. It's better than calling it a "big party" though I do like calling it "summer camp for adults."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3973
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby Rice » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:37 pm

I really should not post my thoughts when tired and grumpy.

True, enough - we all get different things from BM.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Great White North, Saskatchewan, Canada
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:47 pm

stretch80 wrote:I really should not post my thoughts when tired and grumpy.



(((Rice))) 8)
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
User avatar
catinthefunnyhat
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:24 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby Lonesomebri » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:00 pm

It's more of a FESTIVAL !!!!
http://youtu.be/341qhhEziWg
User avatar
Lonesomebri
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:03 pm

BBadger wrote:Is Everest not a mere mountain because there is no other mountain can compare in height (above sea level)?

I really can't think of any other event-genre besides "festival" to place Burning Man; so I use that term without feeling that I'm degrading the event. It's better than calling it a "big party" though I do like calling it "summer camp for adults."


I have often described it as summer camp for adults, too, after starting off with "It's an art festival in the desert" and mentioning having to bring your own water. (The water business is brisk shorthand.)

"Summer camp for adults" is a weird and underwhelming phrase if not long-considered, but I like it because most folks who went to summer camp know that not only that it was giddy and fun, but that there was an emotional component to it--that one often makes strange, fast friendships in a short amount of time, and the memories endure.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10525
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:37 am

it's a PROJECT, not a Festival.
Attachments
tag.jpg
tag.jpg (79.38 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13869
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:36 am

stretch80 wrote:I have to point out that Burning Man is not a Festival. One can find any matter of music festival all over the world. Nothing can be compared.

It is very probable that anyone who talks about Burning Man as being a festival has at most attended once, and has failed to realize that it is so much more.

Whew, that has been begging to get off my chest for months.


Yay! Can I give you a manly hug?

It's not the freaking Garlic Festival!
It's not a drive-by art & wine festival that any tourist can pencil in to their itinerary!
It's a way of life, and you're either in or you're out. Either you get it or you don't.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16342
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby wh..sh » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:44 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:It's a way of life, and you're either in or you're out. Either you get it or you don't.

Psst... so is Dubstep :lol:
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
User avatar
wh..sh
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 am

wh..sh wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:It's a way of life, and you're either in or you're out. Either you get it or you don't.

Psst... so is Dubstep :lol:



:lol: :lol: :lol:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:44 am

Floor wax
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37462
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Dessert topping!
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10525
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby stinkyfoot » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Actually a festival is exactly what Burning Man is if you care about things like definitions and English literacy.
stinkyfoot
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Ffft! English Literacy! Who needs it? I'm a descriptive grammarian!

Besides, if all labels are tidy, we never have to push the language, English, Latin or Esperanto.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37462
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby lemur » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:31 pm

festivals suck
Don't link to anything here!
User avatar
lemur
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Madagascar
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby wh..sh » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:11 pm

Lemur - here's some sunshine, blue sky, and colors for you.

Image
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
User avatar
wh..sh
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:13 am

wh..sh wrote:Lemur - here's some sunshine, blue sky, and colors for you.



Noooooooooo! Trolls hate sun!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:14 am

wh..sh wrote:Lemur - here's some sunshine, blue sky, and colors for you.

Image


*looks for Dorothy, Tin Man, et al napping....*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25998
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 am

stinkyfoot wrote:Actually a festival is exactly what Burning Man is if you care about things like definitions and English literacy.


If you've been reading closely, you'll discover that this thread is about connotations, not denotations.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16342
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:10 am

I thought it was about strippers and blow?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby oscillator » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:27 am

BM is a giant bacon-eating contest in the desert. That is all.
User avatar
oscillator
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:30 pm
Location: heading north on forever street

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:03 am

It's not a festival, it's a facial!!! :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
User avatar
FIGJAM
 
Posts: 7095
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby jadewombat » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:04 pm

It's not a guide towards something that the world should follow to make a better place either. "Welcome home," I fucking hate when people say that shit. My home has a hot tub and is safe for my youngest to run around and not get dosed by some stupid granola shooting everyone with a water gun because he thinks everyone needs to be at his level. Burning Man is a dream, one week of a lot of fun. Just accept it and don't think it applies to the rest of the world.

The rest of the world doesn't plan food for only a week, everything to run on generators, and a fiery endpoint. Cheese and rice...
User avatar
jadewombat
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:05 am
Location: Mandeville, LA.

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby wh..sh » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:51 pm

jadewombat wrote:It's not a guide towards something that the world should follow to make a better place either. "Welcome home," I fucking hate when people say that shit. My home has a hot tub and is safe for my youngest to run around and not get dosed by some stupid granola shooting everyone with a water gun because he thinks everyone needs to be at his level. Burning Man is a dream, one week of a lot of fun. Just accept it and don't think it applies to the rest of the world.

The rest of the world doesn't plan food for only a week, everything to run on generators, and a fiery endpoint. Cheese and rice...

Thank you!
Seriously, I couldn't agree more.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
User avatar
wh..sh
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:16 am

wh..sh wrote:
jadewombat wrote:It's not a guide towards something that the world should follow to make a better place either. "Welcome home," I fucking hate when people say that shit. My home has a hot tub and is safe for my youngest to run around and not get dosed by some stupid granola shooting everyone with a water gun because he thinks everyone needs to be at his level. Burning Man is a dream, one week of a lot of fun. Just accept it and don't think it applies to the rest of the world.

The rest of the world doesn't plan food for only a week, everything to run on generators, and a fiery endpoint. Cheese and rice...

Thank you!
Seriously, I couldn't agree more.


This is why I always spend my Greeter shifts welcoming people to beautiful downtown Las Vegas.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10525
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Burning Man is NOT a Festival

Postby knowmad » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:24 am

Not to concerend what it might be.
So happy to see what others make of it.
I promised myself to probe all posibilitys and not to draw a conclusion. Basicly because I want to see it forever new.
Then I ran out of mol.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest