Conduit Dome Staking Technique

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Conduit Dome Staking Technique

Postby beer goggles » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:45 pm

I was doing maintenance on my shade shelter (24' 3v dome) when I noticed several struts that had been kinked & bent by driving in the rebar stakes a little too deeply. I made replacements and set about trying to figure out a way to prevent this from happening again. I don't know if anyone else has done this but I'm going to try replacing the bolts along the bottom run of struts with eyebolts and drive my stakes down through the hole in the eye. This ought to work just as well at tying down my structure while preventing any strut damage.
beer goggles
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Conduit Dome Staking Technique

Postby Jackass » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Sounds good to me.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
User avatar
Jackass
 
Posts: 1043
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: way out in left field

Re: Conduit Dome Staking Technique

Postby BAK3R » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Ive been thinking the same thing. My thought was 5 eyebolts following the vertices of the top pentagon would equally distribute the anchor points.
User avatar
BAK3R
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:38 pm
Location: Reno, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Claustrophilia (AEZ)

Re: Conduit Dome Staking Technique

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:22 pm

I wouldn't to that. Eye bolts are not designed for shear strength. Maybe make some loops with wire rope that go around your ground vertices and staple the rope loop to the playa. Sure the playa engineers can suggest more ideas.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
User avatar
some seeing eye
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm
Location: The Oregon
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Conduit Dome Staking Technique

Postby beer goggles » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:03 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Eye bolts are not designed for shear strength.


True, eyebolts don't like being loaded at 90 degrees but as long as I keep the "necks" short and put an eyebolt-anchor at each vertex (15 total) then I don't see any problem. Even taking the large surface area of a dome into consideration, the horizontal wind speed / lifting force required to cause catastrophic failure would be enormous.
beer goggles
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Conduit Dome Staking Technique

Postby Bob » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:42 am

What I've seen in extreme wind storms is that domes POUND up and down as well as try to translate sideways. Might break the bolt head. Consider crossing a pair of stakes at an angle at the vertices and wrapping to the dome w/ cord or light rope. Or ask someone at Pacific Domes up in Oregon what they'd recommend, they've sold a lot of large domes to Burning Man types.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Conduit Dome Staking Technique

Postby melodiousdirge » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:23 am

What do your stakes look like? I have the tops of mine doubled up and candy caned - I haven't kinked any struts pounding them in but I guess I can see how you could. When done like this, these guys are very hard to put in too far because the last 2-3" is much, much harder to drive in than the rest of the stake.

Image
We wouldn't want to alarm the flock, they might start asking questions.
User avatar
melodiousdirge
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: I'm f'n EVERYWHERE maaan.
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Conduit Dome Staking Technique

Postby melodiousdirge » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:26 am

beer goggles wrote:
some seeing eye wrote:Eye bolts are not designed for shear strength.


True, eyebolts don't like being loaded at 90 degrees but as long as I keep the "necks" short and put an eyebolt-anchor at each vertex (15 total) then I don't see any problem. Even taking the large surface area of a dome into consideration, the horizontal wind speed / lifting force required to cause catastrophic failure would be enormous.


I tend to agree with this. The thing with a dome is as long as you can prevent most of the wind from getting underneath, the lift shouldn't be too bad. Stresses large enough to break off 15 eye bolts would likely shred your canopy and bend all the struts first.
We wouldn't want to alarm the flock, they might start asking questions.
User avatar
melodiousdirge
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: I'm f'n EVERYWHERE maaan.
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Conduit Dome Staking Technique

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Those stakes look decent, though I like pairing stakes at opposing angles for the same reason drywall installers often pair nails when rocking a ceiling.

A 60-ft dome with a fitted vinyl cover eggshelled in a storm in 2000. Huge 20-ft dimple on the windward side. By the time I got there, the thing was repeatedly lifting ~6 inches and pounding back on the ground, and they were struggling with adding stakes and throwing guy lines over the top. The original staking was pretty minimal, just 1/2" rebar as I recall. After that incident, the company that made the dome (Pacific) also upgraded from 3/4" to 1" minimum conduit for domes that size.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Conduit Dome Staking Technique

Postby melodiousdirge » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Bob wrote:Those stakes look decent, though I like pairing stakes at opposing angles for the same reason drywall installers often pair nails when rocking a ceiling.

A 60-ft dome with a fitted vinyl cover eggshelled in a storm in 2000. Huge 20-ft dimple on the windward side. By the time I got there, the thing was repeatedly lifting ~6 inches and pounding back on the ground, and they were struggling with adding stakes and throwing guy lines over the top. The original staking was pretty minimal, just 1/2" rebar as I recall. After that incident, the company that made the dome (Pacific) also upgraded from 3/4" to 1" minimum conduit for domes that size.


Yeah 3/4 would be a bit flimsy for a dome that size. I hemmed and hawed about using 1" for my 24 foot. I'm glad I didn't because of the expense, weight and added PITA of forming and drilling it, but quite a number of my 3/4" struts are no longer arrow straight due to me climbing on them.
We wouldn't want to alarm the flock, they might start asking questions.
User avatar
melodiousdirge
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: I'm f'n EVERYWHERE maaan.
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Conduit Dome Staking Technique

Postby beer goggles » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:47 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:What do your stakes look like? I have the tops of mine doubled up and candy caned


My stakes are essentially the same as yours except for the doubled tops. My buddy volunteered to drive the stakes and he put them in the center of the bottom struts. After a couple of days, he took it upon himself to go back and snug them up, this is probably when they were damaged.

BTW - I saw the pics of your dome in another thread and that cover you fabbed is beautiful. I'd like to see some more detailed pics of it and also the method of attaching your platform.
beer goggles
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Conduit Dome Staking Technique

Postby melodiousdirge » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:57 pm

beer goggles wrote:BTW - I saw the pics of your dome in another thread and that cover you fabbed is beautiful. I'd like to see some more detailed pics of it and also the method of attaching your platform.


Thanks very much :) I sent you some info with the eplaya email function. Let me know if that doesn't work!
We wouldn't want to alarm the flock, they might start asking questions.
User avatar
melodiousdirge
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: I'm f'n EVERYWHERE maaan.
Burning Since: 2011


Return to Shelter & Camping

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest