Radio Stations?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Radio Stations?

Postby Wrath » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:42 am

Anything one should know if they wanted to broadcast FM out there? Are all the frequencies spoken for? Will the FCC come steal my gear for not bribing them?
Wrath

Re: Radio Stations?

Postby mrchiff » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:56 am

mrchiff

Re: Radio Stations?

Postby Major Krash » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:18 pm

supposedly the FCC is well aware of the many pirate FM stations at BM each year, but for whatever reasons recently there have been no reports of fines, warnings, etc that I have heard of.

This could change at any time, for all of BM or just one station.

My theory is that BM is so isolated, few outsiders can hear the stations, and the nearest commercial stations are not interfered with. The FCC may have had limited budgets in years past also.

Pick an open frequency (and please register with the site provided), have a good technical set-up that avoids interfering with other frequencies, and try to avoid excessive profanity, etc and you should be OK.

Realize that you are violating federal law unless you stay within the bounds of part 15 rules (then your signal goes a hundred feet or so). Under such circumstances, doing other illegal things is not recommended. For instance, if you get busted for an illegal substance, and they search your camp, they might well decide to also prosecute you for the pirate transmitter found....

and be careful raising and lowering the antenna mast...each worker should have a drink holder so both hands are available
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: tbd

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks