what kind of socks to wear?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby kman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:59 pm

Clar-i-ty wrote:
Boijoy wrote:
Clar-i-ty wrote:Never thought I'd miss 'em but...

http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/Sim ... 03839.html

but wool?? really Clarity? are they flowey/cool enough?

I wore this type of sock with all leather combat boots for 9 years in all kinds of conditions. I find them better than cotton which tend to fall apart, or fall loose inside the boot, which really sucks! Plus they have a padded sole in addition to the reinforced toe.

Never thought I'd be so nastalgic for socks!

Wool breathes better than you'd think.

Witness the resurgent success of SmartWool socks for hikers.

That said, I still prefer ThorLo's, but have nothing against SmartWool, for those that go that route.

There are a variety of boot socks on the market geared for hot weather climates, as well, including some by ThorLo, UnderArmour, Bates, etc.

http://www.uscav.com/category.aspx?catid=86&TabID=1
kman

Re: what kind of socks to wear?

Postby Jared » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:47 am

I'm a BRC virgin but an experienced lightweight hiker (so I'm used to some hardship). Normally I would bring one or two pairs of good hiking socks for a week long hike but it sounds like almost everyone brings 14 pairs of shitty socks for a week at BRC. Is this wasteful glamping or is there something special about the playa that calls for fresh socks?
Jared

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:05 am

The playa consists of alkalai dust that can eat holes through your skin. Washing your feet a couple of times a day and changing your socks afterwards makes a difference to some people. No reason that those socks have to be cheap. I think...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Jared » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:09 am

theCryptofishist wrote:The playa consists of alkalai dust that can eat holes through your skin. Washing your feet a couple of times a day and changing your socks afterwards makes a difference to some people. No reason that those socks have to be cheap. I think...

Right, so the idea is to minimize the dust touching your skin. Since dust-proof (Goretex) socks are impractical, you change socks regularly as they become saturated with dust. Got it - thanks.
Jared

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:18 am

I just like the idea that bringing 14 pairs of socks constitutes "glamping" . . .

Can't fault your hardiness, Jared. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear