Is it just me or...

Fertility 2.0 - Black Rock City is a kind of Petri dish. Theme camps cling in fertile clusters to its latticework of streets, artworks tumble out of it, like pollen on the air. These nodes of interaction mutate, grow and reproduce their kind. Burning Man communities have now escaped this capsule world: our culture in a Petri dish has effloresced - it spreads across five continents. This year's art theme contemplates the tendency of any being or living system to create abundant life.

Is it just me or...

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:46 pm

...does the "vintage" art in the 2012 Survival Guide look like it comes straight out of a Jader Troe's flyer? The style fits the theme and has a certain whimsy to it but at the same time I keep getting the feeling I'll turn a page to see an ad for super-crunchy granola.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Re: Is it just me or...

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:52 pm

Yup. Can you say "Dover Clip-Art"? or "American Science and Surplus"?
I do hope they weren't trying to evoke Ernst or any of the other original surrealists...

I don't hate it, understand, it's just, well, what it is.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Is it just me or...

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:00 pm

I have never seen in the visual art world one thing copied from the next. Never in on-playa art. Ever, whatever! :wink:
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Return to 2012 Theme