Playa Boutique locations and accepting donations?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Playa Boutique locations and accepting donations?

Postby Super Suz » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:37 am

I've been collecting and making costumes this year and have a bin of costumes to deliver to a boutique like Costume Kult, camp community costume tents, Burningdales, Sex Filth Avenue or Black Rock Boutique. Each item has a tag that says a little something about the item. : )

Can anyone tell me about these boutiques or any others in 2012 and where I might find them on the playa? Do they take donations? Do they need help on the playa?

Let's use this topic to get a heads up of where and how to support these folks who give the muggle-wearing folks a second chance to make an alter statement about themselves.

SS
Too many costumes!
Super Suz

Re: Playa Boutique locations and accepting donations?

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:28 am

Yes they take donations. If one doesn't, the next one will. But we are talking about places that give away hundreds, probably thousands, of articles of clothing. A few more should be welcome.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ratty » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:50 am

Kostume Kult does give away THOUSANDS of costumes. I've worked in their dome many days dressing the undressed. I love what they do and I'll continue to help at their camp. BUT...I would suggest you donate your stuff to the costume camp next to center camp. They will respect the time and work you've put into it. They outfit everyone individually and lovingly hang their items like a store. It would break your heart to have these items thrown onto the messy pile in KK's dome.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:05 am

The Black Rock Boutique collects year round. They have been placed for some time on the center camp ring. You can deliver to them on playa too. They are very interactive and have a team of fashion advisors and stylists who can outfit the fashion impaired, like i once was, to find their expression on the playa. You can drop them a note via the theme camp lists with contacts. No doubt they would welcome stylists! Not as familiar with the others, but the more, the more awesome, especially with so many new participants.

One camp of about 150 I was in had its own costume exchange, with a lot of collaboration and playful experimentation. So if your camp has costume geniuses, sharing is caring, even if only in your camp.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby googbox2 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi!
I'm camping w/ Sex Filfth Ave. We're at 3:45 and A this year. We'd LOVE to get your donations! Thank YOU!!!
googbox2

Postby Super Suz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Too many costumes!
Super Suz

Postby psychoalpha » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Hey there! My camp (Camp Anita) has its own art car this year (for the first time!!)

It's called "Well Hung" and it's a giant neon hanger than will roll around the playa, holding costumes for all burners in need of some sweet outfits. We'd also love any donations you have!
psychoalpha

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Anita Cocktail

Postby psychoalpha » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:11 am

Nyurrr. We're at 7:15 and Geranium.
psychoalpha

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Anita Cocktail

Postby BraveNewWorld » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:03 pm

I work in the entertainment industry and haves TONS of unworn/gently used outfits, costumes, accessories, etc. I have extra room in my vehicle, so I plan to bring out a bunch of things to donate to costume camps. Any guidelines about what is/is not acceptable for donations? I know that I shouldn't plan to bring anything that could be turned into MOOP, but other than that, what else should I keep in mind when I'm packing up things for donations? Thanks for any suggestions!
The power of imagination makes us infinite..
BraveNewWorld

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Ratty » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:06 pm

I know from experience that they can't be too 'size specific''. Men's pants that don't stretch won't be as desirable as something that is big that you can wear with a belt (or not). It has to be easy to figure out and can't have a bunch of unattached parts. Every style and color, black or white. Just keep in mind that the weather is very hot and very cold. I'm bringing a ton of costumes to gift and a bin of lingerie. With all the new arrivals it will get worn.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:06 pm

Your contributions will surely be welcome at the myriad of costuming camps! Don't worry about size, Burning Man is all sizes and your donated size fits all! Expert sewers, hand or machine, might check to see if the camps need repairers and alterers and are set up for you to contribute with their own camp machines, thread and needles. The more costume camps the better!

There may be color themes on a certain day, ridiculous is great, formal wear, dresses on guys, ties on girls, kids, scouts, uniforms, funny hats, underwear as outerwear, flouro, standout footwear, superhero, furry, the costumers will mix it in, just bring it!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby BraveNewWorld » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Ratty wrote:I know from experience that they can't be too 'size specific''. Men's pants that don't stretch won't be as desirable as something that is big that you can wear with a belt (or not). It has to be easy to figure out and can't have a bunch of unattached parts. Every style and color, black or white. Just keep in mind that the weather is very hot and very cold. I'm bringing a ton of costumes to gift and a bin of lingerie. With all the new arrivals it will get worn.

Ok, good to know, thank you for your response!
BraveNewWorld

Postby BraveNewWorld » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:21 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Your contributions will surely be welcome at the myriad of costuming camps! Don't worry about size, Burning Man is all sizes and your donated size fits all! Expert sewers, hand or machine, might check to see if the camps need repairers and alterers and are set up for you to contribute with their own camp machines, thread and needles. The more costume camps the better!

There may be color themes on a certain day, ridiculous is great, formal wear, dresses on guys, ties on girls, kids, scouts, uniforms, funny hats, underwear as outerwear, flouro, standout footwear, superhero, furry, the costumers will mix it in, just bring it!

Great, thank you for your reply! I would be so happy if my various costume pieces could be put to use by fellow Burners! I'm excited to gather up some donations!
BraveNewWorld

Postby minuss69 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:26 am

Hello! I run Sex Filth and we would love your donations, here is what I have been posting around asking for donations, let me know if you have any questions or concerns. We can even schedule a pick up if you want!

SEX FILTH AVENUE: The ultimate playa boutique. Lace it up or strip it down! Sex Filth Avenue, the sauciest, sultriest, most scintillating costume boutique on the playa, needs your help to outfit less-fashion-conscious burners. This playa legacy is made possible by your costume donations. Visit us on playa to recycle your naughty playa wear and help others find their inner nymphet. Stop by Sex Filth Avenue at 3:45 and Alyssum to donate your hottest playa get-ups. Bring us a bag-full, a box-full, even an arm-full of costumes to restock this amazing boutique. Cleanup and restocking start at 9:30 AM daily. Volunteers get first pick of the sexy new costumes! So come to help, come to see, come to play dress-up at Sex Filth Avenue, 3:45 &A, right next to BRCU.
minuss69

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: BRCU / Sex Filth Ave. Boutique

Postby alex_ » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:08 am

minuss69 wrote:Hello! I run Sex Filth and we would love your donations, here is what I have been posting around asking for donations, let me know if you have any questions or concerns. We can even schedule a pick up if you want!

SEX FILTH AVENUE: The ultimate playa boutique. Lace it up or strip it down! Sex Filth Avenue, the sauciest, sultriest, most scintillating costume boutique on the playa, needs your help to outfit less-fashion-conscious burners. This playa legacy is made possible by your costume donations. Visit us on playa to recycle your naughty playa wear and help others find their inner nymphet. Stop by Sex Filth Avenue at 3:45 and Alyssum to donate your hottest playa get-ups. Bring us a bag-full, a box-full, even an arm-full of costumes to restock this amazing boutique. Cleanup and restocking start at 9:30 AM daily. Volunteers get first pick of the sexy new costumes! So come to help, come to see, come to play dress-up at Sex Filth Avenue, 3:45 &A, right next to BRCU.

I got a pretty dope outfit from you guys last year :D

Venetian Style Mask + Vest + Burning Man Shirt in ode to American Gothic.
alex_

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: This one place on the esplanade

Return to Clothing & Playawear