If I get a mohawk, how badly am I going to sunburn my head?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

If I get a mohawk, how badly am I going to sunburn my head?

Postby pizzamancer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:56 am

I have had long hair for a while

It might be time to go short. I have always wanted a mohawk, but in 40 years, never really had the opportunity to do it in a socially acceptable manner, not that I care about what society thinks, it is more of an, "I like being employed" type of thing.

I am just wondering if I am going to burn the shit out of my scalp if I do it on the playa.
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Re: If I get a mohawk, how badly am I going to sunburn my he

Postby shykat » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:13 am

You got 40 days to find out, and if ou go out in the sun a lil everyday you will be fine. Just do it now,so you do have time to get your scalp used to it.

DO IT>>>>>
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:19 am

Take it from me, unless you've got some kind of sunburn protection you will sunburn the fuck out of your head. Slather on the sunscreen, bring a small bottle (or a couple small bottles) so you can have it on your person and re-apply as you go throughout the day.

I've been shaving my head for nearly ten years, and I get a fair amount of sun on my scalp over the summer, and getting a crispy melon is still something I have to work to avoid. Fortunately it's really easy work. :D
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:20 am

get a Brazilian instead, and don't worry about it.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby pizzamancer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 am

shykat wrote:You got 40 days to find out, and if ou go out in the sun a lil everyday you will be fine. Just do it now,so you do have time to get your scalp used to it.

DO IT>>>>>

I do have to live in defaultia for the next 40 days. I am not going to do it while stuck here.
pizzamancer

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:32 am

You could get it done on the playa, Barber Ella camp (Barbarella-themed camp run by haircare pros) (in the 9 o'clock plaza, I think) and serving up haircuts starting Tuesday.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby shykat » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:44 am

pizzamancer wrote:
shykat wrote:You got 40 days to find out, and if ou go out in the sun a lil everyday you will be fine. Just do it now,so you do have time to get your scalp used to it.

DO IT>>>>>

I do have to live in defaultia for the next 40 days. I am not going to do it while stuck here.

Long hair vs mohawk don't both get flak from the defaultia world?
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby TomServo » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:12 am

If you're wearing a mohawk...they really only look good when they are "up". That requires some fairly heavy duty products...Aqua net extra super hold unscented, knox gelatin, egg whites or Elmer's glue...all of which require a good amount of washing, to get out. If you can sleep in one position, all night...you can get away with leaving it up. If not, you need to wash it out, or wake up with a sore neck.
Now to the sunburn....if you've had long hair for a while, shaving it right before burning man, is going to leave you with a nice WHITE scalp, ready to burn. Use sunblock on your scalp, and you should be fine.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby lemur » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:15 am

wear a hat.

err

yeah
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:20 am

Zinc oxide your whole head and if the mohawk is a very VIVID color, that will be a hellava look! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby TomServo » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:21 am

lemur wrote:wear a hat.

err

yeah

with a mohawk?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:37 am

You could always use a #3 trimmer on the sides; you dont have to shave them. I have had my hair buzzed for about 10 years, and I have found that even a little bit of hair helps against sunburn.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby inthecolumbiagorge » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:41 am

I have had a mohawk for a few years now, not by choice necessarily but by natural design thanks so very much to alopecia:-( I work outside every day, even in Lake Havasu, AZ without a single sunburn to my head. Sunscreen 1/2 hour before you go in the sun, a hat for a sun break for your head for a 1/2 hour or two here and there, and keep putting on the sunscreen during the day. Don't try to cut it just before the burn or your scalp will be baked and not in a good way. If you are going to do it cut your hair now and give your scalp some time to get tanned and toughened up before the burn. I also use a shade umbrella when I can because I hate how hot and sweaty a hat makes my head. Bandanas soaked in cold water help to cool you down too. A short mohawk is crazy easy to take care of, especially if you don't use gel, and seriously I get more nice comments and compliments on my stupid mohawk than I ever did from my beautiful long blonde hair. Go figure:-)
inthecolumbiagorge

Postby moonrise » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:31 am

They make sunscreen shampoo.
I've added sunscreen to my regular shampoo, cheaper and it works. ;) Then rinse and re-apply more sunscreen while your noggin is still wet.

OR

Neutrogena ultra sheer aerosol spf 100+ is awesome and worth the extra couple of bucks imho.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Lonesomebri » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:36 pm

You can do like I did, wait awhile until ya lose enough hair that your skull gets full sun no matter how long the random strands are, then realize a mohawk no longer has much to work with on my head......and the dream dies.

Don't be like me.

Half of the day is night anyway.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Chowski » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:16 am

Spray-bottle sublock is the only way to go. Particularly for those of us with little or nothing on top. It coats the entire head, neck and ears and you don't have to worry about drips and blobs or getting it caked in the hair you do have. I take one bottle for every two days, and re-apply frequently.

Honestly though, if you're going to shave fresh, do it as far in advance as you you can. Even a few days with a little bit of exposure each day will toughen up your scalp and give you a decent base.
Chowski

Burning Since: 2009

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:18 am

If you seriously wait until right before the burn to shave your head and then go full blast in that sun.. you are going to burn the living fuck out of yourself unless you use full on zinc oxide. Even SPF 50+ is only going to slow it down a bit but I can almost promise you that you'll still burn to an uncomfortable point.

..from a bald guy of 15 years now.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby illy dilly » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:46 am

ranger magnum wrote:You could always use a #3 trimmer on the sides; you dont have to shave them. I have had my hair buzzed for about 10 years, and I have found that even a little bit of hair helps against sunburn.

I'm gonna suggest pretty much the same thing.
Just leave a bit on each side. Like a 3 or maybe even a 4. If you have dark black hair, bleach and dye what is remaining. The bright color with black will be awesome.

Also, try not to bleach and dye, lower than the shaved length. Then when you get home, after your hair has also grown for another week, you can shave off the colored part.

If you have lighter colored hair, mine is blondish/redish, I shave it short on the sides, bleach and dye it. Then when I get home, I just dye my hair the closest to the color that it was before.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Mojojita » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Wow - you have great blue eyes!
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:39 pm

I highly recommend spray sunblock as well. My girlfriend loves it even more than I do, she can re-apply sunblock over fishnets. The easier it is to apply, the more likely you are to actually re-apply throughout the day which is what you really need to avoid getting a burn.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby pizzamancer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:11 pm

Thank you Mojo!
pizzamancer

Return to Experiences at Burning Man