HexaYurts

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: HexaYurts

Postby clocksnmirrors » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:30 pm

jkisha wrote:We decided to go with 6' walls on the other rooms because of the wind, and I really can't see any benefit to going higher, though I've come to believe 8' walls would probably survive the wind OK.

You wouldn't have any pictures would you. that sounds like a pretty cool YurtPlex you have going on there
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby jkisha » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:11 pm

The last frog pictures in this album are our yurt. The first pictures are all the regional effigies and the ones in the middle are the camp serving root ever floats. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1582133449090.47970.1708340831&type=3&l=920fd4d5c5
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby clocksnmirrors » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:00 am

jkisha wrote:The last frog pictures in this album are our yurt. The first pictures are all the regional effigies and the ones in the middle are the camp serving root ever floats. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1582133449090.47970.1708340831&type=3&l=920fd4d5c5

wow! that's an impressive setup! it's like a yurt condo :)
i'm starting to wonder if i'm planning on taking enough stuff to live comfortably for the week. i'll have to do an assessment this weekend
clocksnmirrors

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:54 am

frog pictures?

frog pictures your yurt?

Too early...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TreasureAnn » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:02 am

Hello All! Interested in building a Hexayurt for this years burn. Building the Hexayurt seems simple enough with all the help I have received but my only worry is getting the damn thing out there!! I have a 2007 pontiac vibe that will be attending with me for our sencond year and Im driving up from San Diego about a 13 hr drive any input is much appreciated.

)'( <3
TreasureAnn

Burning Since: 2010

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:40 am

Treasureann, I posted a pic of how we got ours to Symbiosis this year on the previous page. Ratchet straps and shrink wrap!! shrink wrap all pieces together first so that you have one big block of panels.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby clocksnmirrors » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:17 pm

lucky420 wrote:Treasureann, I posted a pic of how we got ours to Symbiosis this year on the previous page. Ratchet straps and shrink wrap!! shrink wrap all pieces together first so that you have one big block of panels.

that is some impressive packing. it looks rock solid.

i'm still trying to get my plan together for bringing everything in the back of my pickup truck. i'm determined to make this happen!
clocksnmirrors

Postby eLPea » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:17 am

lucky420 wrote:
TreasureAnn
To: Craftsmn I wanted to ask what size Hexayurt did you transport on top of your Xterra? Im driving up a Pontiac Vibe this year and wondering how the hell to get the Hexayurt to the playa. Any comments is much appreciated

We also used shrink wrap and wrapped it first before putting it on the cruiser. It worked like a charm. Just be sure to bring some with you so you can wrap up for the trip home. Wrap it length wise and width wise.

For bm we rent a big truck to haul it, but I gotta say this worked out really well and if I didn't HAVE to bring everything I own to bm, I would go this route. :mrgreen:

Dare I say....I'm lovin' it.

Looks dubious as to whether we're going to have access to a trailer this year, and I might be trying to figure out how to get the panels for an 8ft and 6ft stretch yurt out with only a cr-v and a lot of ingenuity. The shrink wrap is an awesome idea.

I've been nervous about rachet straps sinking into the soft panels on the edge. It looks like you have some sort of padding there? I was thinking about a plywood sandwich for added stiffness, but would like to avoid that if it's unnecessary. How did you keep the panels strapped tight without crushing the foam?
eLPea

Burning Since: 2009

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:42 am

I've been nervous about rachet straps sinking into the soft panels on the edge. It looks like you have some sort of padding there? I was thinking about a plywood sandwich for added stiffness, but would like to avoid that if it's unnecessary. How did you keep the panels strapped tight without crushing the foam?

We just used some stiff cardboard bent in an L shape where the ratchet straps were placed. If you shrink wrap it well, you won't need to plywood sandwich it. A big roll of shrink wrap cost us about $22 dollars. Be sure to get the wide roll. 24 inches by 3000 feet. We have plenty left over...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:26 am

I don't know how I've survived forty years of hauling shit on cars and trucks without once using shrinkwrap.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:50 am

oh yeah that shits amazing! The very bold could just be naked and use it as a suit...or as a weight loss helper.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:00 am

Bob wrote:I don't know how I've survived forty years of hauling shit on cars and trucks without once using shrinkwrap.

That's probably because you have exceptional tie-down skills. You can easily tell who has these skills and who doesn't on the exodus lines at BM.

We wrap our yurts in the big tarps that will become their floor and strap them securely with duct tape. They look like big wrapped Xmas packages. I'd imagine the effect is similar to shrink wrapping them though not as easy.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Popobumm » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:36 am

Hi all,

Hope the playa prep goes well! I actually have a ton of Hexayurt panels (precut and taped) that I want to gift to someone. We used them to make two hexayurts (one with 6' high walls and 4' high walls) back in 2010. They worked GREAT (much better than the RV we also had), but unfortunately they haven't seen any action since then. I can't return home this year and they've been sitting in my parent's backyard for awhile so I kind of have to get rid of them. If anyone wants these panels, please let me know or else I'll have to throw them out, and that's just plain wasteful =/

I live in Westminster, CA. Just msg me or email me at popobumm@gmail.com if you think you could utilize them!

I believe they were thermasheath panels that I bought from Home Depot. They edges were taped with gorilla tape. Some may be damaged, but I think most are still in good condition! Pic below:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/ ... 125020.jpg
Popobumm

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:03 am

popobum that's a super generous offer! i just built my first hexayurt and i can't wait to get it out to the playa

it looks like the gorilla tape held up pretty well. i was under the impression that the sun would melt the adhesive. did you find that not to be the case?
clocksnmirrors

Postby Popobumm » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:31 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:popobum that's a super generous offer! i just built my first hexayurt and i can't wait to get it out to the playa

it looks like the gorilla tape held up pretty well. i was under the impression that the sun would melt the adhesive. did you find that not to be the case?

I LOVE gorilla tape. Even though it's black and probably absorbs more heat because of it, it held up like a champ even out on the playa. Regular duct tape though, that stuff basically becomes useless out there.

The biggest thing I learned is NOT to build your hexayurt in the whee AM hours, as the moisture just makes it near impossible to tape the thing together without having to wipe the panels down, which is a real pain in the ass. Also wind sucks =/

However, once you have your yurt up and stable, it's like a bombshelter. There could be a huge sandstorm outside and you wouldn't even know it.
Popobumm

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:51 pm

Popobumm wrote:
clocksnmirrors wrote:However, once you have your yurt up and stable, it's like a bombshelter. There could be a huge sandstorm outside and you wouldn't even know it.

Depending on the size of the bomb, and its proximity, that might not hold for bombs. Or petards...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby snabss » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:02 am

what an awesome thread!!!
i think i have come down with the yurt bug! well there is only one cure... :)

I think i have got the gist of the process. i do have a question about the material used. What is the material of choice these days and how is the availability in san francisco area? any suggestions on what to look for and where? I am planning on building whats called H15 (the one with 6' walls)

thanks
snabss

Burning Since: 2003

Postby clocksnmirrors » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:31 am

snabss wrote:what an awesome thread!!!
i think i have come down with the yurt bug! well there is only one cure... :)

I think i have got the gist of the process. i do have a question about the material used. What is the material of choice these days and how is the availability in san francisco area? any suggestions on what to look for and where? I am planning on building whats called H15 (the one with 6' walls)

thanks

hey there! the yurt bug is totally infectious!! i've been obsessed ever since i saw this little marvel.

material is a bit of a pain. the Rmax panels recommended in 1 inch thickness are not sold at my local home depot or lowes any more.

i opted to combine a .5 inch panel with a .75 inch panel, taping the edges all the way around with foil tape to create a 1.25 thickness that is very sturdy. this was based on someone else's experience and they said it worked well. i haven't playa-tested mine but it looks solid (scroll up the thread to see my pix).

ventilation is highly recommended as well. cutting holes and taping air filters on the outside seems to be the method of choice.

you'll want to order tape immediately because time is short. the "good buy guys" sell the 6 inch filament tape you'll be needing to assemble the yurt. please make sure you do a test build before coming to the playa. you'll be glad you did.

good luck and send us some pics!!
clocksnmirrors

Postby snabss » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:05 am

so how much tape is required for a build?

i am guessing the edges are done with the foil tape and the build with the 6in tape, correct? so how many rolls of both for a 8' yurt ( well with 6' walls so essentially a 10' yurt)
snabss

Burning Since: 2003

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:11 am

I use the 6 in bi-filimant tape to tape all the edges off first. This first taping of the edges will stay year after year. My first yurt the tape on the edges stayed after 3 uses in the big dusty. I am making new roof panels this year as my first ones were cut pretty wonky and I just want a tighter fit.

I use the 6 in tape for all taping. I do use a little of the foil tape for when I have a nick or tear in the foil covering on the rmax. I live in N. Nevada and have no trouble finding 1 inch rmax around here. I would think you could find it somewhere in SF area too. The tape I order from good buy guys. Each roll is 60 yds. Get 4 rolls and you'll have a little left over...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby otakup0pe » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:06 pm

Long time lurker First time poster.

So my lady friend and I are making an eight foot Camp Danger tape hinge semi-folding style hexayurt for our first voyage to BRC this summer. The "plan" was to use 1.5" RMAX for the walls and 1" RMAX for the roof. So here I am talking to our polyiso board supplier and they said that "everyone" has been using 2" RMAX boards. That seems a bit overkill even for the playa (not to mention eating up more precious cargo van space).

I guess my question is will we be "fine" with 1.5" for walls and 1" for the roof ? My gut feeling tells me "yes" but I'm curious as to what others think :mrgreen:
otakup0pe

Postby clocksnmirrors » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:09 am

otakup0pe wrote:Long time lurker First time poster.

So my lady friend and I are making an eight foot Camp Danger tape hinge semi-folding style hexayurt for our first voyage to BRC this summer. The "plan" was to use 1.5" RMAX for the walls and 1" RMAX for the roof. So here I am talking to our polyiso board supplier and they said that "everyone" has been using 2" RMAX boards. That seems a bit overkill even for the playa (not to mention eating up more precious cargo van space).

I guess my question is will we be "fine" with 1.5" for walls and 1" for the roof ? My gut feeling tells me "yes" but I'm curious as to what others think :mrgreen:

Hi there otakup0pe!
I'm a hexayurt virgin too. this will be my first burn. so i really don't want to advise you on the panel thickness. i do want to mention that if you're buying your filament tape online, as most seem to, you may want to get that ordered right away if you have not already. i got mine from the good buy guys, but that's surely not the only source.

good luck!
clocksnmirrors

Postby BBadger » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:43 am

otakup0pe wrote:Long time lurker First time poster.

The Hexyurt playa page says 1" or thicker. They haven't specifically tried RMAX boards though. If they essentially equivalent to others it should be fine.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:15 am

otakup0pe wrote:
Long time lurker First time poster.

I guess my question is will we be "fine" with 1.5" for walls and 1" for the roof ? My gut feeling tells me "yes" but I'm curious as to what others think

Sounds like your polyiso board supplier is trying to squeeze a lil more money out of you. I use 1" for roof and walls and it has been just fine. What's the price diff between the 1, 1.5 and 2" boards?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:22 am

1" is more than adequate for walls and roof. Anything thicker is unnecessary overkill. IMHO
JK
jkisha

Postby otakup0pe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice. When I spoke to the dealer again to order the actual boards he said some bloke came in and ordered several cases of 2" polyiso board and plans on selling premade hexayurts. Price difference between 1" and 1.5" was $5. Dunno about 2" boards as that seemed like hella overengineering.

And yeah I ordered what will hopefully be enough tape from goodbuyguys. And two rolls of glow in the dark polka dots.

BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW.
otakup0pe

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:44 pm

Ah. Yes. You have the right stuff for Emergency Polka Camp
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:41 pm

One thing that is worth mentioning again is that the boards all have an oily coating from the manufacturing process and you should was them thoroughly with a mild soap solution before doing any taping. That was a lesson we learned the hard way. What reminded me of it was the mention of the glow dots.
JK
jkisha

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:48 am

jkisha wrote:One thing that is worth mentioning again is that the boards all have an oily coating from the manufacturing process and you should was them thoroughly with a mild soap solution before doing any taping. That was a lesson we learned the hard way. What reminded me of it was the mention of the glow dots.

i got a dollar store spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol and used it to wipe down the panels. seemed to work pretty good.
clocksnmirrors

Postby hexayurt » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:22 pm

[quote="otakup0pe"]Thanks everyone for the advice. When I spoke to the dealer again to order the actual boards he said some bloke came in and ordered several [i]cases[/i] of 2" polyiso board and plans on selling premade hexayurts. Price difference between 1" and 1.5" was $5. Dunno about 2" boards as that seemed like hella overengineering.

And yeah I ordered what will hopefully be enough tape from goodbuyguys. And two rolls of glow in the dark polka dots.

BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW.[/quote]

*very* interesting - anybody else heard more about the hexayurt workshop? I'd quite like to make that more visible on the site, I've wanted to see (decent, ethical) commercial production for *years!*

Please drop me a line if anybody finds out more!

V>
(inventor of the hexayurt)
hexayurt

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping