Gifting food/drink - NV health permit required? Seriously?!

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Re: correction

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:33 pm

madmatt wrote:just jump through the hoops and get a permit.

Sic Pup

Re: correction

Postby Mosin » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:40 pm

madmatt wrote:Just FYI - you DO NOT need a permit to serve drinks, unless they are fresh squeezed juices. If you're just doing a bar, you DON'T need a permit.

We are planning on making a giant batch of Kool Aid (which is a sublime mix of water, sugar, and the Kool Aid flava packet) and taking it out to deep playa to share. It will be served in dixie cups over ice purchased from Arctica. Do we need a permit?
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Burning Since: 2007

Postby marcgorcey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:53 am

Just wondering if camps did/didn't get inspected by NV State Health Dept this year ?

We received a permit but were not inspected, contrary to our understanding of the process.
marcgorcey

Postby dBrew » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:06 am

I know a couple folks who did food gifting, and they were not inspected either. We ended up doing some spontaneous gifting (we brought A LOT of grilled cheese fixin's, and wanted to give them away rather than waste the leftovers), and no one gave us a second thought, either.
dBrew

Postby Nitevenus » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:26 am

It's a possibility because of it being such a large event that you didn't even know it was happening (the inspection). I have done other public events with food service and have been quietly inspected. I don't believe that they have to inform you they are inspectors. If you were doing it wrong, something would have been said.
Nitevenus

Postby marcgorcey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:57 am

Nitevenus wrote:It's a possibility because of it being such a large event that you didn't even know it was happening (the inspection). I have done other public events with food service and have been quietly inspected. I don't believe that they have to inform you they are inspectors. If you were doing it wrong, something would have been said.

Not likely. Our hospitality area is usually inspected, and the inspector identifies him/herself to the bar manager and goes through the list with him. Neither our kitchen, nor our bar was inspected and I checked with staff as well.

Maybe they had their hands full with real problem camps ?
marcgorcey

Postby big baby jesus » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:07 pm

I see both sides of the discussion, but I tend to side with the permit side of things. I don't see any difference between someone going over food safety guidelines and issuing a permit when I comply and the DMV approving art cars. BRC needs some order to it, whether part of it comes from the State in the form of a health permit or someone approving an art car or laying out the streets. Pick your poison, there is always someone making a decision about something that affects you.
big baby jesus

Postby marcgorcey » Sun May 22, 2011 8:38 am

Nitevenus wrote:It's a possibility because of it being such a large event that you didn't even know it was happening (the inspection). I have done other public events with food service and have been quietly inspected. I don't believe that they have to inform you they are inspectors. If you were doing it wrong, something would have been said.

That is possible, however since I was in the kitchen during all meal times, and since non-kitchen personnel are not allowed to be in the cooking area it's hard to see how this could have happened.

My suspicion is that it just couldn't be scheduled. The inspectors seem to work 9 to 5, which happens to be almost outside the time window for meal service in our camp. They might have caught the last 1/2 hour of breakfast or so.

I don't think that we were inspected.
marcgorcey

Postby marcgorcey » Sun May 22, 2011 8:42 am

Hello ePlaya,

It seems to me that the state of Nevada has changed the process for this year. The form seems to now say that you need a permit for camps serving more than 125 people this year, which is much less restrictive than 30 people as it was in 2010.

Also, they seem to be saying that not all camps will be inspected.

Good news, but if you are running a group kitchen you still need to follow basic safety steps.
marcgorcey

Postby marcgorcey » Sun May 22, 2011 8:49 am

marcgorcey

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 22, 2011 12:04 pm

marcgorcey wrote:

That is possible, however since I was in the kitchen during all meal times, and since non-kitchen personnel are not allowed to be in the cooking area it's hard to see how this could have happened.

My suspicion is that it just couldn't be scheduled. The inspectors seem to work 9 to 5, which happens to be almost outside the time window for meal service in our camp. They might have caught the last 1/2 hour of breakfast or so.

The lack of an inspection report to put on public display tends to support you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Rice » Sun May 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Rice

Postby wraith » Mon May 23, 2011 12:56 am

As a professional cook, I'm amazed at all the bitching that happened earlier in this thread about making people cooking for the public follow elementary sanitary practices.

To give an excellent example of something that happened locally, imagine the fun and exciting participatory experience you could have when J. R. Peabody over there is making kebabs, never having actually been educated to understand that raw chicken carrying salmonella shouldn't be handled at the same time as finished food.

Because I know what I want to do is spend my time in the port-a-johns, dying of heat and trying to crap out what few functioning brain cells I have left. :D
wraith

Postby jkisha » Mon May 23, 2011 4:33 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
marcgorcey wrote:

The lack of an inspection report to put on public display tends to support you.

We have been inspected at least twice that I recall. They checked out our washing station and procedures, serving procedures, as well as the temperature of the freezer. I thought they were polite, helpful and informative. Definitely glad this is a requirement for all the previously stated reasons.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 23, 2011 9:34 am

wraith wrote:As a professional cook, I'm amazed at all the bitching that happened earlier in this thread about making people cooking for the public follow elementary sanitary practices.

To give an excellent example of something that happened locally, imagine the fun and exciting participatory experience you could have when J. R. Peabody over there is making kebabs, never having actually been educated to understand that raw chicken carrying salmonella shouldn't be handled at the same time as finished food.

Because I know what I want to do is spend my time in the port-a-johns, dying of heat and trying to crap out what few functioning brain cells I have left. :D

Yeah, well, some people don't want anyone to interfere with their freedom to spend the entire camping trip that way.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed May 25, 2011 7:58 am

domitron wrote:And believe me with the passive attitudes I see here, so willing to bend over to be fucked a little harder, that day is coming.

I guess this is how any event must become once it gets really big.

Hit the nail on the head. There are too many Ned Flanders on this Board spouting off about liability insurance for this and that, permits needed for this and that. Really, Burning Man is ramping up to jump the shark and land in Disney World.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Re: Gifting food/drink - NV health permit required? Seriousl

Postby RamonaBeeMayhem » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:56 am

What about ice water and tea? (no food)
RamonaBeeMayhem

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: the BuzzInn/SiliconVillage

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:26 am

I'd guess, yes. And seriously, have people bring their own cup. That way you don't have to get into the whole dishwashing thing.
But contact burningman or the NV department of health. Everything I've heard about them indicates that they are very open to working with the event, even thought the idea seems onerous. (I'd hate to give anyone food poisoning. It's nasty.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:46 am

Actually, bring your own cup or plate is breaking the rules too, because of the possibility of contamination; as we were told by the health inspectors. Which is why we provide paper cups. (and collect the trash)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Previous

Return to Food & Drink