How can you protect sensitive Electronic equipment

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

How can you protect sensitive Electronic equipment

Postby mynameisV » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:30 am

Im a dj and i wanted to bring my Dj equipment to the playa including cdj mixer speakers amp ect. I was wondering what would be the best way to try to protect my equipment from the playa dust has best as possible. Or A how to to help other people protect there sensitive electronic equipment
mynameisV

Re: How can you protect sensitive Electronic equipment

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:48 am

sounds like a road down to major stressing and headaches. all DJ equipment and electronics i have seen out there (including computers) have been thoroughly and completely covered in dust. there's no escaping it and the best artists work and move with it and dont stress about it. Simon of the Playa:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=29211

is involved with the biggest sound camp at BM. he would be the one to ask.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:18 am

Now can we make fun of the dj?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:40 pm

The only way to protect it is not to bring it. Anything else you do basically boils down to minimizing damage and wear.

One of the biggest enemies of electronics is heat - once things get hot enough, boards and processors fail. One of the other big enemies of electronics is dust - because dust acts as an insulator, it coats all the stuff inside and makes it run hotter (that heat thing again). Burning Man is held out in a desert that's just loaded with dust. Not just any dust, but alkali dust (as if the heat and the dust weren't bad enough on their own, the dust is corrosive).

To minimize those things, some stuff might seem obvious. Keep your gear stowed in flight cases (or some other excellent case you can seal up) and out of the sun. If you have to bust things out during the daytime, make sure it's under shade. I recommend getting a few cans of compressed air and blasting the hell out of your gear every other day. When you get home, crack the cases on all your gear (including CDJ/amps/mixers/etc) and give it an extremely thorough cleaning (or take it to a professional to do, depending on your experience level/value of your gear). For the exteriors, I take a cloth and soak it in vinegar, wring it out, then wipe everything down to neutralize the effects of the dust. Surf the message board a bit you may find some other ideas in other threads - that's what's worked for me over the years.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Father_Burn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:55 pm

pelican cases
The Bear
Mountain Mayhem
2010-9&A, 2011-2:30&Esplinade, 2012 - 9&A
Father_Burn

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Mountain Mayhem

Postby BBadger » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:53 pm

Maybe you could bring a Bubble Boy suit and do your DJing from within that.

bubble_boy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Bob » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:26 pm

unless your equipment can be put in a dishwasher, run through the scrub cycle in hot water and then still be functioning, it WILL suffer SOME damage.

how much is up to you.

pelican cases, as stated above, are almost Nuke proof, like a Fridge....

first sign of dust storm. bob's idea is the best.

get the Magnums.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:34 pm

on a serious note, especially for cdj's, get the LARGE ziploc storage container and keep it with the cdj at ALL times...when not using PUT IT AWAY and seal that puppy.

it's no joke, the playa will eat your shit and spit it out a dusty tan

we have used lemon or vinegar solutions (pretty weak) to cut the alkali / base.

mini air guns, q-tips, small paint brushes, if you do get it dusty (and you will) during the week.

good luck...

also if this is your first year do you really want to burden yourself with all of this equipment?

maybe spend the week visiting the Sound Camps and seeing first hand what a nightmare it can be before you commit to something might be better.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Just for the record, road equipment does not count as 'sensitive' electronics.
Possibly vulnerable, yes.

There is equipment modified for this, or you could do it yourself.
Put stuff in a bag.
CDs?
Good luck, do your best.

Use heavily heatsinked amps that don't need fans.
If you have shit equipment, you could coat the pc boards yourself.
Avoid sliders, use round pots.
gyre

Postby captain mcguiver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:10 am

They key to protecting any kind of gear is keeping it at home.

Everything I bring to the playa I assume will be destroyed. I bring nothing there I would be bummed about losing. Think really hard about that.

That being said I've had things last for years after the playa and also things die in 10 minutes of getting there. I had a video projector at Xara run for 7 days with an open ceiling (!) and It came home (barely) still working.

In 2005 at the corner SW of Gigsville we built the Zendovibe where we had a large amount of sealed carports linked and carpeted with a Dj booth that we enclosed completely in clear plastic. We literally had a large-gauge PVC cube around the turntables/dj/storage that was wrapped in some sort of large, fairly clear, food-wrap type stuff. We also had an air compressor inside, and a low-tech airlock. The opening of the space was a spiral entrance with the eventual opening opposite the windward side. I tell you, when inside the DJ booth, you could run your finger across a record and see no dust. Please understand that this is crazy. This could never happen. If I didn't experience it first hand , I wouldn't believe it now. We were spinning vinyl in there and it was dustless. You couldn't see the dj that clearly from the outside- he was kind of blurred in there, and dj / crowd interaction was a little less than average, but it was CLEAN. I do NOT recommend doing this. It was a pain, but It was clean!

Every other year I've essentially destroyed things. You will never get that new black metal look, it will always be a little dusty white. Some dust will get down in the circuits and eventually mess something up. If you can't live without it, don't bring it. If it's not yours or a rental, don't bring it. If you can buy another one, bring 2- we need an extra one.

ps. When you get home. Clean the crap out of everything with vinegar/water/soap. Blow it out. You will never really get it clean, but if it sits around for another burn soaking in playa you will probably be throwing it out next time.
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:50 am

I've started a campaign to stop bullying of senseitive electronic equipment. No more will these delicate items start crying and short themselves out. I urge all of you to join me in putting forth this very important issue.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:06 am

Bring a djembe as a backup system. ;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby portaplaya » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:44 am

What makes playa dust corrosive is when it comes in contact with moisture. In the arid air of the playa this is not really a concern, but it is something you want to take care of before you get home.

Use clean garbage bags to transport your gear and seal the bags (twist tie, maybe). Anytime you are rebagging your gear, dust it off first. No sense putting a dusty piece of gear into a bag where the dust is locked in with it. Absolutely make sure you dust as much as possible before the final pack and transport home. Unless you live in another desert, the moisture content of the air at home is going to start activating the corrosive alkalis in the playa dust.

Really make sure you gear is dust free, inside and outside. Blowing with an air compressor or a mattress pump can work wonders in the insides, but you may have to open the outer case of the equipment to blow across the bare boards. I do not recommend canned air. It may have some moisture content, which is what we are trying to avoid.

I would also not recommend using the equipment while it is bagged up. Heat build-up is probably more damaging than the playa dust, if you are making sure you remove the dust before storing the gear.

Ultimately accept that you will not be able to do a perfect job, but your work should be enough that the gear is protected enough that it never fails on you. It almost certainly won't be "destroyed", much as cars are not "destroyed" by travelling to the playa. But there will forever be some signs that your gear have been used there. As long as you are okay with not having pristine gear, feel free to take it to the playa and share some enjoyment with others.
portaplaya

Return to Power & Illumination