Guy Wires for Art Installation This Year

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Guy Wires for Art Installation This Year

Postby pacifico » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Greetings Everyone,

I think something on this may have been posted in previously years but I can't seem to find it. Can someone advise me about Guy Wires. I have a seven foot, 1 inch steel pipe frame, with a 46 inch top pipe. (two sides with a bar across the top), that I am hanging something in/on. I got the pipes cut and threaded and will use elbow fittings to secure the sides to the top piece. I am securing the frame over cement stakes and then through some very heavy umbrella stands that I will stake down. I am pretty sure this will secure the frame. This will be my 6th year doing art on the playa but I have never used guy wires. I am thinking I need to for more stability.

Have thought of drilling a hole below the corners of the top elbow and running a coated wire throught there down to a camping stake/rebar in the ground. Then using a square knot to tie it off? So will have a wire going up, through the hole, maybe wrapped around the top pipe and then down through the hole on the other side to the other camping stake/rebar. So 2 wires I guess. One on each side. Both sides will be supported front and back. Not sure how far out to run the wire too.
Front and back.

I know about lighting and identifying the wires for safety.

Any thoughts or advise on this? I would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have. I am thinking it will work?
Not sure of the coated wire yet... Thanks in advance... a fellow artist....
pacifico

Re: Guy Wires for Art Installation This Year

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:34 pm

Drive fencing T stakes immediately adjacent to the 7 foot long uprights, then U-bolt them together or use several hose clamps.....Unless you are using this for a human swing or something really heavy, then 1" pipe is too wimpy
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby pacifico » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:41 am

Thank you for your suggestion. I misquoted my pipe size. It is much larger than an 1". It will definately do the job and
not wimpy at all. I understand what you mean...though.. this is why I think I need the guy wires..still looking for any advise on how to secure with knots and all... I thought I remembered a thread about this with illustrations but maybe now.. (smile)..

Thanks in advance.
pacifico

Postby DoctorIknow » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:36 pm

I've never heard of using knots with wire.
And why coated? It costs more.
Use a swage tool and ferrels and thimbles for the wire.
Big turnbuckles are not expensive and will let you tighten up the rig very evenly.

Don't try to cut stranded wire with normal wire cutters. You need this kind:

Alternative to doing it better are these things, which are a total pain in the ass and perhaps will fail, but they are cheap. Use two on each connection for safety:

The better way is with "ferrules" (those little aluminum things, also called "aluminum sleeves") and "stops" at the end of the wire. The tool is called either a swaging tool, a ferrule crimping tool, a swager, or a Nico press:

If you don't want to spring for the expensive tool above, there are these things which are fine if you don't have a lot of ferrells to crumple:
SwageItTool.gif
SwageItTool.gif (13.88 KiB) Viewed 561 times
DoctorIknow

Postby pacifico » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 am

Wow... thank you so much. This is just so helpful. I think I may put in some I bolts in the frame and lead the wire from
there. I think the crimping idea is the best. I do appreciate your time and help... Thank you again... J
pacifico

Postby DoctorIknow » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Beware of the eye bolts that are just a bolt bent around into a circle. I have seen them fail.
Get the solid/cast ones like this:

eye bolt.jpg
eye bolt.jpg (21.71 KiB) Viewed 532 times
DoctorIknow

Postby pacifico » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Okay, I will. I am getting those crimper tools too. I think we have figured it out using all your suggestions and help.
Can't thank you enough. If you are going to BM this year, my piece is called, Artemis Moon. Mosaic/Mirrors, in a frame.
I hope you find it and know you have been part of it to share..... thanks again...
pacifico

Postby DoctorIknow » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:39 pm

I'll write your camp info in my BM notepad and try to stop by! Good luck with structure!
DoctorIknow

Postby daft » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Great feedback ( like the fence stakes). I am bringing art hanging on 3/4"emt frame thats 6' tall and 2.5' by 6' on top. Hanging thin heavy so the windload is light. My first thought were rope guylines as they work well on a larger frame say 8 by 12' with a tarp sunshade in baja where its windy a lot. Decided instead and built a 2x4 and plywood supports on each end that go out 90 degrees on each corner. Less maintenance and less likely to get tripped on, of course tripping is an intention of the project.

Bringing guyline stuff for backup. Sewed a loop on light bright nylon fabric -wilderness fabrics-to hang on the guylines in case I do that.

I like performance art so next year thinking about installing an ice chest that I put a couple of 30 paks of natty light in twice a day and ice. Put out a couple of stools and umbrellas. Cost is about the same.
daft

Return to 2012 Art & Performance