Scam Emails- For Amusement Only- Do Not Play

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby jkisha » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:41 am

It's definitely annoying and sometimes amusing when these emails flood your inbox, and for those that are vulnerable, a bit sad as well. I found this article that investigates these scams to be very interesting. I think you might too http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/15/the-chilling-story-of-genius-in-a-land-of-chronic-unemployment/
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby International Incident » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:46 am

I just love these ones!

Good day,

I am Dr. Sarah Lindsey, I am a US citizen, 48 years Old. I am one of those that took part in the Compensation in Nigeria many years ago and they refused to pay me, I had paid over $20,000 while in the US, trying to get my payment all to no avail. So I decided to travel over to Nigeria with all my compensation documents, and I was directed to meet Mr. Michael Craig, who is a member of COMPENSATION AWARD COMMITTEE, and I contacted him and he explained everything to me. He said whoever is contacting us through emails are fake. He took me to the paying bank for the claim of my Compensation payment.

Right now I have received my compensation funds of $1,500,000.00 Moreover, Mr. Michael Craig, showed me the full information of those that are yet to receive their payments and I saw your name as one of the beneficiaries, and your email address, that is why I decided to email you to stop dealing with those people, they are not with your fund, they are only making money out of you.

I will advise you to contact Mr. Michael Craig directly through the below information.

ZENITH COMPENSATION HOUSE
Name: Mr. Michael Craig
E-mail: craig@zenithcompensationhouse.net.tf
Phone: +234-708-508-8880

You really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you and telling you that your fund is with them, it is not in anyway with them, they are only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until you have nothing. The only money I paid after I met Mr. Michael Craig was just $420 for the paper works, take note of that.

Thank You and Be Blessed.

Dr. Sara F. Lindsey, MD

sarahlindsey20@yahoo.com
Childrens Hospital Outpatnt Ctr
Columbia, SC 29203
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:12 am

Banks count as scammers in some cases.

Couple foreclosed on by bank of america, though no mortgage.
They foreclose on bank.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110606/u ... ationyahoo
gyre

Re: Scam Emails- For Amusement Only- Do Not Play

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:05 am

People keep mentioning craigslist for burning man tickets, but that isn't reality for most places.
I have only just now found anything at all in this area.
One guy in Little Rock looking for a drum set for the playa, and tickets for sale in memphis and nashville.

This response is already identified as a scammer.
Does anyone want to have fun or should I just flag them?

You might offer to pick them up, as you are in the area, etc.
Usual response is the tickets are at another location, and so on.
We chase these scams on another forum.

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:18 am

UNIFORM TRAFFIC TICKET #80353

(They included a zip file which I haven't opened. If anyone wants that, let me know.)

New York State — Department of Motor Vehicles

UNIFORM TRAFFIC TICKET

POLICE AGENCY

NEW YORK STATE POLICE

Local Police Code

THE PERSON DESCRIBED ABOVE IS CHARGED AS FOLLOWS

Time

7:25 AM
Date of Offense

07/02/2011
IN VIOLATION OF

NYS V AND T LAW

Description of Violation

SPEED OVER 55 ZONE

TO PLEAD, PRINT OUT THE ENCLOSED TICKET AND SEND IT TO TOWN COURT, CHATAM HALL., PO BOX 117
gyre

Think This Check is Good?

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Re: Ford F100 1977 full size pickup - (Midtown)Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:24 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the quick respond, am really interested buying the item and
I want you to consider it sold to me, please do withdraw the advert from
CL to avoid disturbance, anyway I don't have time to come over to take a
look because of my business but you don't need to bother yourself with the
its condition and with the shipment, I'll take care of that by engaging the
services of a mover, hence I'll be sending a certified check payment and it
will be delivered to you via UPS, so I'll need you to provide me with the
following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.

1.full name on the check.
2.Full Physical address to post the check
3.City, State and Zip Code
4.Home & Cell Phone to contact you.

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS or FEDEX
NEXT DAY SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon as
you have cashed the check.

--
Hope the item still available?
gyre

Subprime Scams Continue

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Bringing Expired Debt Back to Life

Wall Street Journal

No one was more surprised than Thomas Carpenito with the credit-card invitation that landed in his mailbox earlier this year.

The 27-year-old deli owner from White Plains, N.Y., had about $10,000 in old debts and a credit rating 200 points below "good." He recalled thinking the post office had delivered the letter to the wrong house.

Far from a mistake, the offer was part of a controversial and growing partnership between debt collectors and banks that profits both. To get the new credit card, Mr. Carpenito agreed to repay $400 on a seven-year-old debt that had expired under New York's statute of limitations.

"It was totally worth it," he said. Having no credit cards made Mr. Carpenito feel "like dirt," he said, especially when out on dates. His new credit card, stamped with the MasterCard Inc. logo, was offered by Jefferson Capital Systems LLC, the debt-collection arm of CompuCredit Holdings Corp., in Atlanta.

CompuCredit, a leader in the business, collected about $15 million in newly resurrected debts and fees by issuing credit cards to people with banged-up credit in the first nine months of this year, according to a securities filing. It also has drawn scrutiny by federal authorities for allegedly deceptive practices.

Many U.S. banks, hungry for new revenue streams, are eager partners. They receive fees and higher-than-average interest rates by granting debt collectors access to their license with MasterCard. The debt companies typically agree to cover losses to banks if borrowers stop paying.

Some lenders say borrowers have a moral obligation to pay their debts even if they are no longer legally responsible. Others are leery about subprime borrowers. But the debt-driven credit cards show some banks tiptoeing back into subprime lending after suffering big losses during the financial crisis.

Collectors aren't afraid of the risks in issuing new credit cards because they instantly turn a profit on virtually worthless debts—purchased for pennies on the dollar—when people agree to start making payments on them. The credit-card agreements essentially create assets out of thin air.

The cards, born a decade ago, are gaining new momentum as debt-collection firms look for new ways to collect, said William Weinstein, chief executive of Weinstein & Riley, a Seattle debt collector.

No one knows how many of these credit cards, usually stamped with the MasterCard logo, are in people's wallets. MasterCard declined to comment.

[More from WSJ.com: Aging and Broke, More Lean on Family]

Genesis Financial Solutions, of Beaverton, Ore., said it was opening about 100,000 new accounts a year in its "Balance Transfer Program." Unlike typical balance-transfer offers, where consumers are lured with low interest rates to move credit balances, Genesis borrowers move expired debts onto the new card.

Irving Levin, the chief executive of Genesis, said the company's credit cards were an opportunity for consumers in a "very much underserved segment."

"I got a bunch of cards when I was younger, and the companies were basically giving them away," said Mr. Carpenito of his past debt troubles. "I couldn't really handle the bills, and I fell way behind."

Federal authorities have declared some of the offers deceptive because they failed to clearly explain to people they needn't pay back even a penny of the past debts because the obligations had expired under statutes of limitations set by individual states.

Mr. Carpenito's credit card from CompuCredit carried the name of Monterey County Bank, a unit of Northern California Bancorp. In 2010, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. accused Monterey of helping Tighorn Financial Services LLC disguise efforts to resurrect expired debts through new credit-card offers. Tighorn, a debt collector based in Sioux Falls, S.D., didn't return calls for comment.

[More from WSJ.com: Refinancing Deals Get Sweeter]

Bank officials last year agreed to a $3 million settlement without admitting or denying wrongdoing. "Our bank no longer participates in any balance transfer card programs," Charles T. Chrietzberg Jr., Monterey County Bank's chairman, president and chief executive, said in an email in response to questions.

Mr. Carpenito's credit card is now underwritten by another lender. In November, CompuCredit's debt-collection arm got a credit line from another bank, PrivateBancorp Inc. in LaSalle, Ill., according to a securities filing, "to facilitate the growth of this segment's operations."

CompuCredit didn't respond to requests for comment.

Last month, its chairman and chief executive, David Hanna, told investors that the "current economic environment could lead to increased opportunities…as consumers with less access to credit create additional demand."

In 2008, CompuCredit agreed to return more than $114 million to customers after the Federal Trade Commission accused the company of deceptive practices that included failure to disclose high credit-card fees and failure to tell customers that accepting a Majestic credit card—emblazoned with a Visa Inc. logo—essentially enrolled them in a debt-repayment program. The company didn't admit to any wrongdoing in the settlement.

Visa, which declined to comment, is no longer in the debt-collection credit-card business, according to lawyers for debtors who have gotten card offers.

People who stop paying bills earn lousy credit ratings but eventually are freed of old debt under statutes of limitations that vary by state and range from three years to 10 years from the last loan payment.

But if a debtor agrees to make even a single payment on an expired debt, the clock starts anew on some part of the old obligation, a process called "re-aging."

So if borrowers again fall behind on their payments, debt collectors can turn to their usual tools: letters, phone calls and lawsuits. By restarting a debt's statute of limitations, the collectors have years to retrieve payments.

Regulators scrutinize offers to see whether they clearly state that borrowers are agreeing to repay part—or in some cases all—of an expired debt if they agree to a new credit card.

The pitches usually come in the form of a letter.

"Make your fresh start today," said one Emblem credit card offer viewed by The Wall Street Journal. A sentence near the top of the offer said, "This communication is from a debt collector."

Kindra Weaver, an office administrator who lives in Artesia, N.M., said she had no idea the $300 she paid in March for a Milestone credit card from Genesis Financial Solutions settled a debt long past the statute of limitations.

But she said she would happily do it again. "No one else wanted to even work with me," said Ms. Weaver, 26 years old. "I lost my job at one point and couldn't make ends meet. But I feel so much better about my life now that I was able to pay and get back on track."

Ms. Weaver has a $300 credit limit that can go up if she stays current with her monthly payments. Her credit card carries an annual interest rate of 19%, compared with an average rate of 13.7%.

Milestone credit cards are issued by Mid America Bank & Trust Co., a 91-year-old bank in Dixon, Mo. A regulatory filing shows the bank collected $1.1 million in "credit card program fee income" in the first nine months of 2011. The bank had profits of $1.2 million over the same period. Mid America declined to comment for this article.

Card Acquisition LLC says on its website that the Sioux Falls company's Affirm credit card can help debt collectors wring profits out of seemingly lost causes. The cards give "the debtor a positive way to settle their debt," the website said. Company officials didn't respond to calls for comment.

Participating banks say borrowers with poor credit—stemming from lost jobs or other financial catastrophes, for example—deserve another chance.

How to restart lending to them is "a question at the very center of the recovery," John D. Hawke Jr., the nation's top regulator of national banks from 1998 to 2008, said in an interview.

Last year, West Virginia Attorney General Darrell McGraw barred Jefferson Capital Systems, the debt-collection unit of CompuCredit, from offering state residents an Emblem credit card through the company's "Fresh Start Solution Program."

Mr. McGraw said the program was "abusive" because people didn't realize they were agreeing to pay debt that had expired. Other issuers still can do business in West Virginia. Some companies are concerned regulatory scrutiny could slow growth.

Angela Hoover, a 47-year-old laboratory assistant from Strasburg, Pa., said she was ready to sign up for an Emblem credit card in November. After reading the offer letter three times, she realized she would have to pay $434 in old debts before she could get the card.

The letter's "legal hogwash" was confusing, she said. "I am just grateful I didn't accept it."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bringing- ... -life.html
gyre

Postby Sham » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:00 am

I got the best scam ever today!
Hello,

My name is juliana chung, a banker and i have $100,000,000 for you, give
me your account details online login and password, I will pay
$100,000,000, but you have to pay me $10,000.00 by western union to do
this.

Reciever Name: juliana chung
Reciever Address: Marlene-Dietrich-Platz 2, Berlin, Germany 10785

Make payment and send me the MTCN. reply to my sender email....

juliana chung
Sham

Postby TT120 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:48 am

Got this one today. It's amazing that people still fall for this stuff. It must be working for the scammers or they wouldn't be doing it.

Greetings!

I am Dr.Amed Ibrahim. a staff of the Chevron Oil Company, This email is to notify you that your email address as been selected by the Board of trustees as one of the final recipients of this year Chevron Oil Company promotion cash grant donation to celebrate the 30th anniversary celebration.We are giving out the donation of {$850,000.00} USD to 12 lucky recipients as this year promotion in support from the W.H.O, UN, and the EU in-accordance with the enabling act of parliament.
Fill out below information and contact the Chevron Oil Company promotion Department payment center via email contact below:

1)Full Name:
2)Complete Address:
3)Occupation
4)Telephone Number:
5)Sex:
6)Are you a house owner yes/no

Contact Person
[removed by moderator]

NOTE:YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO ACCEPT OR REJECT THIS OFFER
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

MY LAST WILL...

Postby gyre » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:37 pm

MY LAST WILL...

[removed by moderator]

Greetings,

I am sure this mail would be coming to you as a surprise since we have never met before and you would also be asking why I have decided to choose you amongst the numerous internet users in the world, precisely I cannot say why I have chosen you but do not worry for I come in peace and something very positive is about to happen to your life right now and to the lives of others through you if only you can carefully read and digest the message below.

Before I move further, permit me to give you a little of my biography, I am Mrs.Susan Wilcox, 82 Years old and the wife of Late Sir Wilcox Alex a dual citizen of United States and Britain who died with our only daughter Petra in a Plane crash on Monday the 7th of September 1998 GMT 14:22 UK while they were flying from New York to Geneva. Please see website below for more information. http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9809/swissair. ... index.html

After the death of my husband I became the Head of his investment and now that I am old and weak I have decided to spend the rest of my life in my Ranch before i finally leave the world, but before the death of my husband we had a plan to use the last days of our lives to donate part of what we have worked for to the less privilege and charity homes and the other part for ourselves, family members and close friends, and it is so unfortunate that my husband is not alive today to do this with me and I am very weak and old now, hence I have decided to do this philanthropic work on behalf of my late husband.

Presently, I have willed out almost half of our assets to several charity homes and to some of the less privilege in different countries. Despite the agreement between my late husband and I to give aid to the deprived, we also agreed to render support to an individual we have never meet due to the fact that when we were young,we received an anonymous help from an individual we did not know and we have not being able to know this individual till date, the impact we got from such gesture made us to do same.

I am sorry to inform you that you may never have the chance to meet me because I have just concluded the assignment which my husband and I have agreed upon before his sudden death and you happened to be the beneficiary of our last WILL, hence I need you to do me a favor by accepting our offer.

I deposited some fund in the sum of 16,000,000.00 GBP (Sixteen Million British Pounds) with DHL UK a couple of weeks ago to deliver to you, but i was very ill so i could not send you an email until today. what you have to do now is to contact the DHL COURIER SERVICE UK as soon as possible to know when they will deliver your package to you.

For your information, I have paid for the delivering Charge, Insurance Premium and Clearance Certificate Fee of the Cheque showing that it is not a Drug Money or meant to sponsor Terrorist attack in your Country.

You are to contact the dispatch director of DHL COURIER COMPANY immediately for confirmation and delivery of your cheque with the information below;

[removed by moderator]

NOTE: you are not to pay for the delivering Charge, the Insurance premium and the Clearance Certificate Fee of the Cheque because I have already paid for them, the only money you are expected to pay is 970 British Pounds for the security keeping of the cheque so far.

I would have paid the fee but the company insisted that I should not because they don't know when you will be contacting them and to avoid demurrage or further cost.You are to reconfirm the below information to them to avoid any mistake on the Delivery.

Full Names:
Residential Address:
Direct telephone number:

Below is the security keeping code: (SCT/0477/F) of you draft, you are to also present it to them for verification before delivery.

Please, try to contact them as soon as you receive this mail to avoid further delay.

Be also notified that I will no longer be reading my email or surfing the internet as I have retired completely from the outside world to my ranch, at this moment I have nothing to do with cars, emails and other luxuries, all further correspondence should be forwarded to the courier company for the delivery of your cheque to you.

Yours Sincerely,
[removed by moderator]

nice touch
"I will no longer be reading my email "
gyre

Postby JStep » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:18 pm

One thing on the rise suddenly is companies that cold call and set up fake websites to draw in visitors, representing themselves as either tech support for a popular anti-virus product or Microsoft. For the cold calls a common tactic is to state that they're calling because they've been getting a lot of windows error reports (you know when something crashes and you get the window giving you the option to report the problem) from you.

Long story short, they con people into turning over remote access to their machine to install whatever ("to diagnose the problem"), and they then charge people for the service! I had one lady call me (I work for a large online payment processor whom you've undoubtedly heard of) because they convinced her they were turning her control back over so she could sign into [nameless online payment processor's website] and pay them, when she entered the info the guy clicked the button for her and paid himself.

Common thread on those calls is they are Indian companies and they are paying commission to independent sales reps to make/take the calls. Plausible deniability for the company, "It's against our policy for an agent to represent themselves as being from Microsoft."

I hear this crap every day, same with the Craigslist scams. I can usually finish the caller's sentences for them, I've heard the same stories so many times.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Sham » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:11 am

This has to be real---it's the FBI!
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
Anti-Terrorist And Monitory Crime Division.
Federal Bureau Of Investigation.
J.Edgar.Hoover Building Washington Dc
Customers Service Hours / Monday To Saturday
Office Hours Monday to Saturday:
Dear Beneficiary,

Series of meetings have been held over the past 7 months with the secretary general of the United Nations Organization. This ended 3 days ago. It is obvious that you have not received your fund which is to the tune of $850,000.00 due to past corrupt Governmental Officials who almost held the fund to themselves for their selfish reason and some individuals who have taken advantage of your fund all in an attempt to swindle your fund which has led to so many losses from your end and unnecessary delay in the receipt of your fund.

The National Central Bureau of Interpol enhanced by the United Nations and Federal Bureau of Investigation have successfully passed a mandate to the current president of Nigeria his Excellency President Good luck Jonathan to boost the exercise of clearing all foreign debts owed to you and other individuals and organizations who have been found not to have receive their Contract Sum, Lottery/Gambling, Inheritance and the likes. Now how would you like to receive your payment? Because we have two method of payment which is by Check or by ATM card?

ATM Card: We will be issuing you a custom pin based ATM card which you will use to withdraw up to $3,000 per day from any ATM machine that has the Master Card Logo on it and the card have to be renewed in 4 years time which is 2016. Also with the ATM card you will be able to transfer your funds to your local bank account. The ATM card comes with a handbook or manual to enlighten you about how to use it. Even if you do not have a bank account.

Check: To be deposited in your bank for it to be cleared within three working days. Your payment would be sent to you via any of your preferred option and would be mailed to you via UPS. Because we have signed a contract with UPS which should expire in next three weeks you will only need to pay $135 instead of $420 saving you $285 So if you pay before the three weeks 2011 you save $285 Take note that anyone asking you for some kind of money above the usual fee is definitely a fraudsters and you will have to stop communication with every other person if you have been in contact with any. Also remember that all you will ever have to spend is $135.00 nothing more! Nothing less! And we guarantee the receipt of your fund to be successfully delivered to you within the next 48hrs after the receipt of payment has been confirmed.

Note: Everything has been taken care of by the Federal Government of Nigeria, The United Nation and also the FBI and including taxes, custom paper and clearance duty so all you will ever need to pay is $135.

DO NOT SEND MONEY TO ANYONE UNTIL YOU READ THIS: The actual fees for shipping your ATM card is $420 but because UPS have temporarily discontinued the C.O.D which gives you the chance to pay when package is delivered for international shipping We had to sign contract with them for bulk shipping which makes the fees reduce from the actual fee of $420 to $135 nothing more and no hidden fees of any sort!

To effect the release of your fund valued at $850,000.00 you are advised to contact our correspondent in Africa the delivery officer John Will with the information below,

Email: j.will@***********

You are advised to contact him with the informations as stated below:

1) Your full Name:
2) Home/Cell Phone:
3) Full Home address
4) Occupation:
5) Age:
6) Sex:

Preferred Payment Method (ATM / Cashier Check)

Upon receipt of payment the delivery officer will ensure that your package is sent within 24 working hours. Because we are so sure of everything we are giving you a 100% money back guarantee if you do not receive payment/package within the next 24hrs after you have made the payment for shipping.

Yours sincerely,
Lawrence Story
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535

Note: Do disregard any email you get from any impostors or offices claiming to be in possession of your ATM CARD, you are hereby advice only to be in contact with John Will of the ATM CARD CENTRE who is the rightful person to deal with in regards to your ATM CARD PAYMENT and forward any emails you get from impostors to this office so we could act upon and commence investigation.
Sham

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:11 pm

Organized crime targeting people in financial trouble

The scam continues and most of the money is already out of the country.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/phantom-d ... 9EzP1L0Ts0
gyre

U.S. Debtor's Prisons

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:15 pm

gyre

How many red flags can you count?

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: House
Monday, June 18, 2012 7:19 PM
"Wells Went" <wentwells@yahoo.com>

Hello,

Thanks for emailing me regarding the house is still available, but presently I'm on business trip to West Africa. I bid for a portion of petroleum land sometimes ago in West Africa and fortunately I won, so I have to move quickly down to Africa to have my company set up. I came over here with my wife, we both bought the house when we got married. As soon as we settle down here I had a thought of selling the house, so I have to look for an agent and getting one we strike a deal but later my wife advised me on selling the house. I reasoned with her and accepted her advice. So I contacted the agent back and requested for my keys and documents. Later we decided to have the house rent out, we would have given the same agent this job also but the truth of the matter is that the agent would want to handle it professionally and the occupant may not be able to reason along with him later and moresome I do not have anyone in the area I can leave the keys behind with so that is why I posted ad myself. If you notice, you will discover that the price we are offering is far below standard price and I sense this is enough for you to know that we are not after the rental fee but the absolute care for the property. I know there is no way I can be sure that you are the right person to live in the house because we won't be able to see physical before sending you the keys and the documents to occupy the space. The house is available for as long as you want and if you drive by the house you may see a sign there,you have nothing to worry about it belongs to my previous agent so you have absolutely nothing to worry about and you don't have to call them because they do not have access to the house anymore. the property includes facilities such as water and heat laundry facilities, air condition, internet and telephone access and a garage and other necessary facilities, also comes with trash collection, pets are allowed as well as long as they are not destructive.

Here is the address: 4867 Lorece Avenue, Memphis TN 38117
Rent is $700 Security Deposit is $500...

Cats And Dogs are Allowed...

Please if you are ready now to occupy the house kindly provide the information below for record purpose,the way you fill it will give us the benefit of doubt to allow you rent the property..

LEASE APPLICATION FORM....

Full Name__________________________________________________ Home Phone ( ) ________________________

Date of Birth_________________________________

Other Phone ( ) ___________________

Best cell phone number to reach you__________________________

Current Address_______________________________Apt#________ City__________________ State______ Zip________

Reasons for Leaving____________________________Rent $__________Phone ( ) ____________________________

Are you married____________________________

How many people will be living in the house____________________________

Do you have a pet____________________________

Do you have a car____________________________

Occupation____________________________

Move In Date____________________________

How long you intend staying____________

REFERENCES ___________________________

Your pictures if available_______

When can you pay the deposit__________________

Smoke___________ Drink___________

P.S: YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO VIEW THE INTERIOR PART OF THE HOUSE BECAUSE I HAVE THE KEYS HERE WITH ME YOU ONLY VIEW IT FROM THE OUTSIDE.

You can call or text me on +2348086138788 OR 0112348086138788

Thanks.
Best Regards.
Ben Starkie
gyre

Postby BBadger » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:42 pm

You should probably remove the email/phone/address info from that email.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Mine are filtered, and no secret anyhow.

I've sort of warned people not to respond.

So you don't think I should rent this house?

Original post -
Convincing?

$700 / 3br - great deal! wonderful home in one of the best neighborhoods
Date: 2012-06-18, 6:46AM CDT

great deal! wonderful home in one of the best neighborhoods in memphis. homeowners just bought last yr and have been transfered. gorgeous new kitchen featuring 42" kenmore duel fuel 5 cook top. park like back yard, repainted, new plumbing/elec.

cats are OK - purrr
dogs are OK - wooof
gyre

Postby Bin Noddin » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Interesting story here about why we see the same "obvious" scams over and over again. It makes sense to me. Back in the day when these and other scams were done by mail, my aging mother fell for some and we had to monitor her mail all the time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/06/22/why-nigerian-e-mail-scams-are-so-crude-and-obvious/
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:12 pm

Manager/Ceo

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:07 PM
"rovt darj" <rovtdarj4@msn.com>

Manager/Ceo

How are you and your family? I hope this letter finds you good.
Well I intended to established and come to operate a very viable business
as a means of investment in your country. But I do not know how this is done
in your home town, so I will need your help in this regard.
My preference is any good profit yielding business and I would appreciate any
viable ideas you could come up with, Though I will also need you to help me look
for properties like homes and lands for sale as I am proposing to invest in your
country the sum of Thirty Million United States Dollars ($20,000,000.00 USD) for this operation.
However I do not know if you can be able to be of help to me ?
My need for this business proposition and to acquire these properties is
very urgent as I am planning to reallocate out of this country with my family down to
your country. I want you to also help in finding a good home where my family and
I will live. Please I expect your good and prompt reply so that we can
proceed swiftly.
For Further information/better clarification,contact me on my personal
email address (darjrotd@datafull.com) and I will need your phone number for easier communication.
I am in a sincere desire of your humble assistance.

Best Regards,
Mr.Darj Rotd
gyre

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:16 pm

$700 / 3br - great deal! wonderful home in one of the best neighborhoods

great deal! wonderful home in one of the best neighborhoods.
homeowners just bought last yr and have been transfered. gorgeous new kitchen featuring 42" kenmore duel fuel 5 cook top. park like back yard, repainted, new plumbing/elec.

cats are OK - purrr
dogs are OK - wooof

I tracked down the real agents for this house.
They said this is a common scam these days.
The same people had posted dozens of this type.

The house is for sale for a high price.
Not for rent at all.
The sales ad is simply pasted.
gyre

Postby Turtleburp » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:30 am

From a friend's hacked email account:

Hello,

Morning, Hope you slept well ? I’m with family on vacation in Spain,Madrid. We got mugged last night in an alley by a gang of thugs on our way back from shopping, one of them had a knife poking my neck for almost three minutes and everything we had on us including my cell phone, credit cards were all stolen,quite honestly it was beyond a dreadful experience for us but looking on the bright side we weren't seriously hurt or injured and we are still alive so that is whats important.

I've reported to the cops here and canceled all our cards,it appeared I had acted quickly enough or they almost would have succeeded in cleaning out my bank account.I'm really having some difficulties clearing our hotel bills and also need to pick up a voucher ticket at the counter for us to catch a flight back home as soon as possible.

All we need right now is €2,850 Euros but anything you can spare pending when we get things straighten out will be appreciated and I promise to refund as soon as we arrive home safely.You can have it wired to my name via western union around you.

Write me back and let me know how soon you can get it to us asap. Let me know if you can help.

James x.
Amateur shirtcocker

Simon's left sock and cat porn photographer

Turtleburp

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Barbie Holiday Village - Soap Supplied!

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:30 am

Yeah, I've heard about that one. It seems rather detached. "One of them had a knife at my neck for almost three minutes". Oddly precise about something we have trouble measuring (time), especially as this is one of those cases when time "slows down" for many people...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:36 am

I'm sure everyone has seen one of these by now.

Be sure to forward this stuff to the real paypal.

Note the almost believable address used.

Notification of Limited Account Access RXI034

"service@paypall.com" <service@paypall.com>

Hello

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal
system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.

We requested information from you for the following reason:

A recent review of your account determined that we require some additional
information from you in order to provide you with secure service.

Case ID Number: PP-409-544-366

This is a second reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log
in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.

Be sure to log in securely by using the following link:
Click here to login and restore your account access

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your
account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account
safety.

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain
limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your
account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further
limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your
PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to
make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution
Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further
clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting
the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that
this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We
apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

PayPal Account Review Department

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account
and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1999-2012 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal Email ID PP522
gyre

Switzerland Needs Help

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:45 am

Ever seen one from "Switzerland" before?

I guess it's because they have no banks there capable of helping?

Three different addresses?

"HR Tommer" <tommerhza snplmbv.com>

To:
hans.rtommer rocketmail.com

Hello,

First, I must apologize for intruding into your private email address, but I humbly ask that you take due consideration of the importance and immense benefit that this communication brings to you. However strange and surprising this contact might seem to you as we have not met personally or hand any dealings with you in the past.

My names are Hans Rudolf Tommer from Switzerland and I am a legal consultant/Broker. I am representing some members of the Independent Committee of Eminent Persons (ICEP), Switzerland. (ICEP) is in charge with the responsibility of finding accounts in Switzerland belonging to non-Swiss indigenes, which have remained dormant since World War II. For more information please kindly check: http://www.crt-ii.org

My clients and close associates who are members of (ICEP) discovered a dormant account with the sum of Forty Eight Million United States Dollars ($48M) including accumulated interests. My associates required my assistance in find best possible ways to legally transfer the funds with my supervision as an experienced legal consultant/broker. Due to this opportunity, my clients at (ICEP) have confided in me to help search for a foreign partner that will assisting putting the funds into the banking system and also assist in investing part of the funds into profitable business ventures for mutual benefits.

Because my associates at (ICEP), Switzerland have mandated me to search for a foreign partners, hence my aim for contacting you. Please do not despair because I got your email contact from a business search engine on the internet before deciding to contact you. I have known my associates for almost more than 15 years and I do not wish to fail them on this project due to my responsibility and capacity as their legal consultant.

I and my associates have well established contacts with the Claims Resolutions Tribunal (CRT) responsible for handling and processing of all claims on accounts due to non-Swiss citizens. The claims for this project will be processed under an expedited procedure due to the uncomplicated nature of the claims.

I have also made contacts with the Legal Escrow Company responsible for the Dormant Account Recovery (DAR) in the United Kingdom since the original beneficiary of the funds in question is domiciled in the UK. I and my associates have finalized arrangements with the Legal Escrow Company to take over the funds by the new beneficiary legally which you will be representing.

I and my associates are willing to offer you as much as 20% (USD $9.6M) of the entire funds plus investments after the completion of the project. There is no legal risk involved in this project and all process of administrative claims will be legally achieved to transfer the funds to your name as the new beneficiary without any hitch.

In conclusion, if you are willing and ready to assist I and my associates claim the dormant account smoothly, please kindly indicate in your return reply to: hanstomr gmail.com and I will furnish you with comprehensive details on how the project will be completed including my direct contact telephone number so that you can call me for questions and clarifications where necessary.

I and my associates look forward to doing more deals with you.

Best regards,

Hans R. Tommer
gyre

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:32 am

Anyone want to guess about this one?
It does have that urgency scammers always use.
Definitely not english speaking, but that isn't a rarity here.

desesperate !!i want buy Klipsch speaker with walnut box
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

recently i broke the klipsch speaker of my brother now him is terrific angry. then him want i replace the speaker, was a bad day of beer . whenever you have some klipsch please let me know. email me number.. please . i want to buy a pair.

I asked him what he was looking for.
Vague answer.

i dont know what is the model but just know the color is like wood the woofer like 12 inch , but let me know wht do you have if you have pic is better , please , i need replace to my brother the speaker . good bless.
gyre

Postby Sham » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:32 am

INTERNATIONAL POLICE AUTHORITY UNITED STATES SECTION
---------------------------------------------------->

JOHN F. KENNEDY RESIDENT AGENCY
ANTI-TERRORIST AND MONITORY CRIMES DIVISION
JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
NEW YORK, NEW YORK 11430

We, office of the International Police Authority (IPA) hereby write to inform you that we stopped a courier personal by the name Mrs. Mary Cole at (John Kennedy International Airport) here in New York with a consignment box filled with cash valued at US$10,500,000:00 (Ten Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars).
In the course of our interview and investigation on the courier personal she said that the consignment box belongs to you and that she was sent by a Joseph Bunowa to come deliver the consignment box to you not knowing that the content of the box is money.

Now, this courier lady is under detention and custody of the office of (IPA) security in JFK airport N.Y, and we cannot release her until we carry out our proper investigation on how this huge amount of money managed to be yours. So, in this regards you are to reassure and prove to us that the money you are about to receive is legal by sending us the Award Ownership Certificate showing that the money is not illegal.Note, that the Award Ownership Certificate must to be secured from the office of the Nigerian Senate President, because that is the only office that will issue you the original Award Ownership Certificate of this funds, this is because the fund originated from Nigeria.

You are advised to forward immediately the Award Ownership Certificate if you have it with you, but if you do not have it, we urge you to contact back the sender of Mary Cole to help you secure the Award Ownership Certificate if at all you do not have it.
Below is the contact information of the person that sent Mrs. Mary Cole as provided by her;

Name: Joseph Bunowa, Email: joseph_oluwa@XXXXXX.com or josepholuwa@XXXXXX.com and Phone: 0112348088034788

Furthermore, we are giving you only but 3 working business days to forward the requested Award Ownership Certificate. Please note that we shall get back to you after the 3 working business days, and if you don’t come up with the certificate we shall confiscate the funds into the government account then charge you for money laundering and smuggling of currencies as stipulated in the United States Patriot Act bill on money laundering related activities, signed into law (P.L.107-56) by President Bush on October 26, 2001 and the United Nations Chatter on money laundering., but if you forward the Award Ownership
Certificate then we will release courier lady to come deliver to you your consignment box also gives you every back up on the money.
Thanks for your understanding and co-operation.

Yours Truly,

Agent Anthony Davidson

JOHN F. KENNEDY RESIDENT AGENCY
ANTI-TERRORIST AND MONITORY CRIMES DIVISION
JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
NEW YORK 11430 USA

CC: Canadian Federal Police
CC: GENERAL INTELLIGENCE DEPARTMENT (GID)
CC: Asia Pacific Group on Money Laundering (APG)
CC: Egmont Group
CC: FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION (FBI USA)
CC: European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
CC: Financial Action Task Force (FATF)
CC: International Monetary Fund (IMF)
CC: International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO)
CC: International Banking Security Association (IBSA)
CC: International Air Transport Association (IATA)
CC: Institut de Formation Interbancaire (INSIG)
CC: World Customs Organization (WCO)
CC: Inter-American Development Bank (IADB)
CC: Offshore Group of Banking Supervisors (OGBS)
CC: WORLD CENTRAL BANK (SW)
CC: NIGERIA POLICE FORCE (NPF)
CC: NORTH YORKSHIRE POLICE (UK)
CC: ECONOMIC FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC)
Sham

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:45 am

Good one, Shambala.

Anyone have any guesses about the Klipsch guy?

Seems legit so far.
He wrote that he destroyed both woofers!
I referred him to my speaker repair tech.
Haven't heard back from him, so I hope that helped him out.
If the picture he sent me is accurate, very expensive to replace both entire speakers.
There's a drinking story.

He used the name Byny Parr Parr.
If it isn't slavic or russian, maybe british slang related to heavy drinking?
gyre

The Rest of the Story ...

Postby gyre » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:32 pm

I've been trying to help this guy out.
Seem to be having trouble getting him to understand how many models are out there.

Latest though -

I ready buy yesterday two pair one heresy II and one pair is a big klipsch the name is Cornwall III black color and nad receiver and amp Macintosh all for 850 . Then my brother him need know which one like. The amps my friend said is a high end technology these is for me . Tanks ___. Good bless. Yes:yes:yes

Happy ending, I think.
gyre

Actual Letter

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:17 pm

gyre

"Meet In A Public Place ... "

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:40 pm

This guy robbed me and my girlfriend yesterday he called wanting to sell us iPads and when we met him he robbed up and drove off license plate number was 452 LPP police are working hard to catch these criminals also have the watch he dropped they are checking for fingerprints so they won't be doing this scam for long if I see you before they catch you it's going to be trouble it's a small world remember that but I'm sure the police will find you they have your phone number license plate and the watch you had on and I will press charges to the extreme

http://memphis.craigslist.org/ele/3231074196.html
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion