watchtowerwolf wrote:I understand, I just thought it would be a good idea to ask people who have already experienced it.
Don't feel bad. Eplaya is like any other forum on the internet: full of people who probably mean well but who don't communicate that in a particularly empathetic manner.
There are rideshare resources that will work fine for you, but you have to understand that being self-sufficient is key. It's not survival-camping, but it's still potentially uncomfortable. If you don't prepare properly, other people have to take care of you, which takes up their time and energy.
Here are some basics you need to understand though:
* There is no such thing as a 'shuttle' that'll take you from some random store to Burning Man. There is no such thing as a store where all the Burners congregate on their way to the playa.
* It is a seriously long ways from Reno or Sacramento to the playa. From Reno, we're talking 2 hours if there's no traffic.
* If you don't have a ride to and from the playa, you need to find one or consider not going. Again, there is no shuttle that the event puts on. Burning Man is not a 'festival' where you can show up and expect to be taken care of. You need to find a way to carpool with people from Reno (or somewhere else), or you need to rent a vehicle to get you and your stuff to the playa. This isn't a joke or an overstatement: Burning Man is not a for-profit festival, and there are NO official shuttles or any sort of transportation whatsoever to get you to and from Black Rock City. Seriously. None.
* You seem to recognize that you're going to have to transport a substantial amount of supplies into the event. That's good, as you will. Minimally, you need enough food and water to survive while you're there. Of course, these supplies take up room, so you need to find a vehicle or ride share that has the room for you to transport that stuff.
* I'm excited that you're so excited to come your first time! It's going to be an awesome year! You're going to have your mind blown a billion times on the playa. But you have to be prepared or your time will be annoying and shitty. So please take the above seriously. Msg me if you have questions or want to chat about what you need to do to ensure that your time en playa is awesome.