First time burner back packing in (Anxious)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

First time burner back packing in (Anxious)

Postby watchtowerwolf » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Hello!
I'm from the east coast of Canada. Halifax to be exact I've been trying to make it for years and finally I have done the nessicary to do so.
Im planning on flying in but after that I have so much I feel like I don't know or need to learn more about so here is whats on my mind. Hopfully
you can offer some advice.

-Getting to the fest from the airport (I have read there is a store on the way were alot of people tend to meet)

-Transporting supplies in. (as strong as I'am I do not think it is realistic to carry the ammount of water and food + gear from the store to the fest I heard somthing about a shuttle however)

-Getting back to airport in time to fly home

-Last but not Im really really excited to experience this I hope to meet some of you along the adventure!
watchtowerwolf

Re: First time burner back packing in (Anxious)

Postby Canoe » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:31 pm

You need to do some more reading.
First two, and lots more, are available through the links below.
Pay attention to "rideshare".

Hope you have a plane ticket already or soon. The stats claim that Reno airport at the Burn is as busy as most airports at Xmas. If not, look into it.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:36 pm

If you haven't already bought airfare, you could fly into Sacramento and there's a burner-friendly rental car dealership that could help you out. (PM me and I will give you the necessary info.) That way you could: 1) drive yourself to and from the airport; 2) transport your own supplies in; and 3) get yourself back to the airport. One of the shining lights of Burning Man is "Radical Self-Reliance". Please don't take this personally, but you seem to exhibit none of that. You need to get off your ass and figure these things out while there's still time.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby watchtowerwolf » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:28 pm

I understand, I just thought it would be a good idea to ask people who have already experienced it.
sorry.
watchtowerwolf

Postby DrYes » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:53 pm

watchtowerwolf wrote:I understand, I just thought it would be a good idea to ask people who have already experienced it.
sorry.

Don't feel bad. Eplaya is like any other forum on the internet: full of people who probably mean well but who don't communicate that in a particularly empathetic manner.

There are rideshare resources that will work fine for you, but you have to understand that being self-sufficient is key. It's not survival-camping, but it's still potentially uncomfortable. If you don't prepare properly, other people have to take care of you, which takes up their time and energy.

Here are some basics you need to understand though:

* There is no such thing as a 'shuttle' that'll take you from some random store to Burning Man. There is no such thing as a store where all the Burners congregate on their way to the playa.

* It is a seriously long ways from Reno or Sacramento to the playa. From Reno, we're talking 2 hours if there's no traffic.

* If you don't have a ride to and from the playa, you need to find one or consider not going. Again, there is no shuttle that the event puts on. Burning Man is not a 'festival' where you can show up and expect to be taken care of. You need to find a way to carpool with people from Reno (or somewhere else), or you need to rent a vehicle to get you and your stuff to the playa. This isn't a joke or an overstatement: Burning Man is not a for-profit festival, and there are NO official shuttles or any sort of transportation whatsoever to get you to and from Black Rock City. Seriously. None.

* You seem to recognize that you're going to have to transport a substantial amount of supplies into the event. That's good, as you will. Minimally, you need enough food and water to survive while you're there. Of course, these supplies take up room, so you need to find a vehicle or ride share that has the room for you to transport that stuff.

* I'm excited that you're so excited to come your first time! It's going to be an awesome year! You're going to have your mind blown a billion times on the playa. But you have to be prepared or your time will be annoying and shitty. So please take the above seriously. Msg me if you have questions or want to chat about what you need to do to ensure that your time en playa is awesome.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:08 pm

No need to be sorry, asking questions and getting feedback is how you learn. This crazy culture of ours places high value on being radically self reliant, so there's a certain expectation among many that you may have taken the time to read the easy-to-find-and-read Survival Guide and First Timer's Guide before getting this far.. but so long as you're able to figure stuff out and plan a successful adventure then woohoo!

This thread's got some great advice in it so far, but do take a look at those guides and then skim the boards a bit. Do post the questions you have and can't find answers for. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby watchtowerwolf » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:38 pm

Thanks guys, yes I guess mabye I did not take the term self sufficent as heavily as I should. Yeah I just sort of went by things I have been told and information
on the survival guide. I will most deffinatly be checking out ride share. Any other good advice?
watchtowerwolf

Postby BBadger » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:16 am

Other advice: take the "self-sufficiency" even more seriously. Other bikers/backpackers/etc. usually have everything lined up for them by others at some camp they join up with. You don't sound like you've made such arrangements.

Burning Man takes place at one of the least hospitable locations on Earth and this year promises to be even nastier (we hope). There is nothing provided for your survival aside from toilets, $3 bags of ice (until they run out), and coffee (should you buy it). Don't expect people to share their provisions or have spare/free food/water on hand, and certainly not in the quantities you'd need to survive

Unless you get a good ride lined up, ready to transport all your supplies, maybe you ought to bite the bullet, rent a vehicle, and ensure you have all the provisions you need especially if this is your first burn and you are soloing it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Sham » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:31 am

Watchtowerwolf, think of all the aspects for your adventure.
Shelter for high winds up to 70 mph (112 km/h), cold nights as low as 30 degrees (0 C), hot days up to 100 degrees (40 C).
Prepare for violent dust storms, hot, blistering sun, cold night clothing and a sleeping bag to support the cold temps.
Water, food and most everything listed in the first timer's guide.
There are no concessions or food trucks, so you really have to plan on taking care of yourself for virtually everything.

The playa surface is very dry and dusty after a nearly rainless winter. Expect the conditions of the surface to be like that of a public beach. You will need to bring some transportation like a bike if you wish to get around easily.

The past few years have been rather easy as far as weather and playa conditions. This year will be very different. Prepare for the worst scenarios.

With just around 6 weeks to go, there is really no time for sugar coating things.

See you on the playa!!

Sham....
Sham

Postby Canoe » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:49 am

watchtowerwolf wrote:... I just thought it would be a good idea to ask people who have already experienced it.

People who already experienced it, and have updated information for this year, wrote those.

DrYes wrote:* There is no such thing as a store where all the Burners congregate on their way to the playa.

But there are many where many Burners do. For examples, look under rideshare.

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/
to http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... index.html
to http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... rport.html
and there's tons more along the way
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:58 am

I would plan on having a car. Also, get in touch with your regional peeps if you haven't done so. I've known a lot of people who solo, but usually not till they've been for a few years.

Heed the very kind advice on the board. Re-read everything about prep.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:00 am

FWIW, Reno has taxicabs, and hitchhiking is illegal.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby watchtowerwolf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:17 pm

very good to know thank you!
watchtowerwolf

Postby watchtowerwolf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:24 pm

How realistic is it actually getting a ride through rideshare?
watchtowerwolf

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:30 pm

Odds are pretty good, afaict. Burners tend to have a inter-type generosity thing going on. (It's partly a matter of cultural emphasis.) The problem I've heard is missed connections on the way out, but the reno airport shuttle does seem to work. I've never used it, so I don't have the personal experience to really say.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby watchtowerwolf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:36 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Odds are pretty good, afaict. Burners tend to have a inter-type generosity thing going on. (It's partly a matter of cultural emphasis.) The problem I've heard is missed connections on the way out, but the reno airport shuttle does seem to work. I've never used it, so I don't have the personal experience to really say.

What shuttle is this you speak of?
watchtowerwolf

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Dammit. My body was making urgent noises, that's the only reason I used the word "shuttle."
There is no shuttle. There will likely never be a shuttle because of insurance and profits never making it worth while to set it up for just one week a year. I'm sorry I used the work.
The ride share from reno airport to the playa seems to work, and usually it seems to be possible to organize something for the way back out.
Again, sorry.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby watchtowerwolf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Dammit. My body was making urgent noises, that's the only reason I used the word "shuttle."
There is no shuttle. There will likely never be a shuttle because of insurance and profits never making it worth while to set it up for just one week a year. I'm sorry I used the work.
The ride share from reno airport to the playa seems to work, and usually it seems to be possible to organize something for the way back out.
Again, sorry.

ahha no its ok I was pretty postive there was not one. I hope hope hope somone finds me luckily im traveling alone which will help my case.
watchtowerwolf

Postby pink » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:04 am

There is the To Flame bus starting up this year. The latest Jack Rabbit Speaks mentioned they were booking service to the playa from Reno as well as other cities like SF, LA, and possibly Sacramento.

Www.brc.toflame.com

And if you don't currently subscribe to JRS, I suggest you do. Todays issue was the one chock full of info and links on burner friendly businesses and services available in the towns around the Burn.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:28 am

...and pack all your clothes in zip-lock baggies......
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby gyre » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:19 am

Least hospitable it's not.
Come visit here or death valley.

Really damned inconvenient it is though.

Why is it there again?
gyre

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:39 am

because Dr.Dre mandated it
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:15 pm

Of course.
gyre

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks