Paradise Motel returns for more gay nerds serving snowcones

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Paradise Motel returns for more gay nerds serving snowcones

Postby KestrelSF » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:19 am

Good news, everyone! Everyone's favorite spot for snow cones and progressive beats will be returning again this year! Over the years we've worked to provide a "chill" space where weary travelers can relax by our "pool" and get out of the sun for a while. We draw people in with the best snow cone stand on the playa, where we try to ensure all guests are thoroughly teased and taunted (show us your junk and go the the head of the queue!)

Last year we added a 40' x 30' shade structure and some fabulous light up palm trees. This year our LA crew is working on a pink dome and tower.

As we've grown as a camp the last few years, each year we have taken on a number of new people each year who are first timers and integrate them into our camp. And all these new folks must work at least one shift in the snow cone stand where they will get to interact with a lot of community members and learn about how gifting works, so all our burgins have a way to participate their very first year that is definitely "doable". We'll be down quite a few members this year so would be able to take on some new people. We are especially in need of a camp DJ this year.

Camp activities are mostly during the day so we will usually venture out as a group at night as a group and become what I call a human lava lamp. That's where you start off in one big clump, but you start to get separated into blobs, which may come back together later.

Our camp is mostly queer but have a few breeders in the bunch. We generally do a meal plan (which involves much bacon) but are in need of a cook this year. There aren't any other "amenities" provided so looking for folks that are self sufficient on their camping needs.

If you'd like to find out more, go to our camps wiki http://desertparadise.org/ and take a look!

Here are more pics from 2011:

and 2010
KestrelSF

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Re: Paradise Motel returns for more gay nerds serving snowco

Postby alt12 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:34 pm

KestrelSF wrote:Good news, everyone! Everyone's favorite spot for snow cones and progressive beats will be returning again this year! Over the years we've worked to provide a "chill" space where weary travelers can relax by our "pool" and get out of the sun for a while. We draw people in with the best snow cone stand on the playa, where we try to ensure all guests are thoroughly teased and taunted (show us your junk and go the the head of the queue!)

Glad to hear you will be back this year. I saw your earlier posts regarding your ticket issues. I'll be sure to stop by for a snow cone!
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby redarius » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:04 pm

I'm looking forward to coming back this year; lots of changes, but that's what this is all about right?

We have a great group, and hopefully we'll incorporate more dedicated and driven folks this year that we'll know for years to come. I'll second everything Kestrel said; if you have specific questions let us know on this board or on our wiki he linked to.
redarius

Postby BuddhaNic » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm a virgin burner this year, and this camp is one of the few that seems virgin friendly. Let me know if I can help, I'm in need of a camp!
BuddhaNic

Postby KestrelSF » Mon May 28, 2012 8:17 am

Our camp is doing a monthly fundraiser in San Francisco. Please come join us next month for Gay Pride. We'll be having special guest DJ Kimberly S

Here is some pics from past events:

KestrelSF

Postby Tiahaar » Mon May 28, 2012 11:26 pm

Horray for Paradise Motel! And Snow Cones!! A fave daily stop last year, glad you're coming :D
Tiahaar

Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby shroom » Tue May 29, 2012 9:17 am

snow cones are awesome on the playa
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Eric » Tue May 29, 2012 10:55 am

Aw, Brandon's in one of your shots! I still haven't made it to the Paradise, I'll have to try harder this year (I'll be working Bootie on Pink Saturday so I'll miss the fundraiser)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Foxfur » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:07 am

Slutty, nerdy gayboys serving sno-cones?
Yay!
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby Cheyenne » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:55 pm

Certainly saved my bacon last summer with a much needed snowcone whilst I was getting over enthusiastic on my bike with a dune

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby KestrelSF » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:10 am

If you are in the SF Bay area we'd love it if you'd come join us for our last monthly fundraiser before the burn.

Kimberly had so much fun with us last time that she's coming back for another month! Come join the usual cast of misfits as we invade the Stud with our pool toys and vintage video games. StudlyCaps will be joining Kimberly as opening DJ, and blondknaut will be doing visuals as usual.

$10 cover.

KestrelSF

Return to 2012 Theme Camps