New LIFEPO4 battery

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

New LIFEPO4 battery

Postby oscillator » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Just got a Shorai LIFEPO4 battery for one of my motorcycles - awesome!

It occurred that these woulds be imminently suitable for mobile-oriented LED suits, etc. *Very lightweight* and smaller than equivalent lead acid.

http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/l ... RQodFSGKIw

PROS
• Significantly smaller and very lightweight
• They don't need a special charger, a regular trickle works
• More aH per inch3
• Working life is 2x > LA
• Much less discharge over time

CONS
• They are little spendy: ex: US$114 vs US$50 for 9aH
oscillator

Re: New LIFEPO4 battery

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:43 pm

Interesting. I'd like to see where/how this technology ends up in a few years. The main issue is indeed the cost but the case dimensions as well for something like an LED suit. I prefer something flat as to not be quite as obtrusive.

Cool to see a better mousetrap on the horizon though!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Li batteries must balance the cells or else bad shit happens. I suspect there is a circuit built into the battery to allow it to be a drop in place replacement of a lead acid.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Canoe » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:01 am

capjbadger wrote:Li batteries must balance the cells or else bad shit happens. I suspect there is a circuit built into the battery to allow it to be a drop in place replacement of a lead acid. -Badger

Each battery pack should have a Battery Management System (BMS) built into the pack to manage the cells.
viewtopic.php?f=278&t=39560#p812011
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:14 am

Yeah, they do. The circuits are so commonplace and small that they can slap it into anything now. We get custom/test LiPo packs all the time from our supplier in China and they're complete with a micro balance/short/overcharge protection PCB laid in the pack. You can't even tell its there from the outside.

Now if we could just get these as cheap as LiPo's are rapidly becoming. We're down to getting 5000 mAh 10c single cells for $6 that aren't much bigger than a credit card..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Canoe » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:58 am

junglesmacks wrote:Yeah, they do. The circuits are so commonplace and small that they can slap it into anything now. We get custom/test LiPo packs all the time from our supplier in China and they're complete with a micro balance/short/overcharge protection PCB laid in the pack. You can't even tell its there from the outside. Now if we could just get these as cheap as LiPo's are rapidly becoming. We're down to getting 5000 mAh 10c single cells for $6 that aren't much bigger than a credit card..

The credit card size/shape is the standard cell for building smaller packs. Like the battery packs for the cordless tools, also with internal BMS. Most people don't realize that most pack failures are due to a single cell. Replace it, and you're usually good to go.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Return to Power & Illumination