Top Asshats of 2011 Burning Man

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Top Asshats of 2011 Burning Man

Postby Mojojita » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:24 pm

I have an RV but we don't run the generator, and we set up in a manner to be highly interactive although we are not a theme camp - we like having people come in to talk. With that said, Harinama, since you already have such a well developed prejudice against running generators, maybe you should rethink being a Ranger. You seem to have a big "you're doing it wrong" attitude about how people set up their own camps too. There really is enough there to see and do without bitching at others about their "wall of RV". Just move along - there is plenty that sparkles just around the corner. Why do you think that insisting others conform to your desires is any less onerous than a running generator?
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:11 pm

Harinama wrote:Yes i did go a bit overboard on the generator rant, but some people are really selfish sociopaths(like ringing your camp with RV's, and placing the generators on the outside without baffels!)

Generators are ok, if they are run for short periods and are properly baffled, but most energy needs can be served with a solar array/battery system.

As a Ranger this year, i'll be able to provide them selfish generator addicts with some friendly "neighborly" advice.

Good idea Pink to use a marine battery for CPAP Machine!

this is bullshit. not in the job of a Ranger........throwing weight around, to enforce your own set of ideals and procedures.

and who are you, to judge how anyone "does it"?
mind you own business, unless some one is being rude with the genny, stay the hell out of it.

and, from whence do you base a statement like:
energy needs being served by batteries and solar.
you have no idea as to an individuals wants and needs.
or dust related to solar, etc.

I run my Honda, when I please.
Yes, I consider those around me,
yes it's quiet.

but, please, trot over and tell me not to..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby BBadger » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:36 pm

As a Ranger, I will do my best to abuse my authority by fighting my own pet-peeves within the community!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Harinama wrote:As a Ranger this year, i'll be able to provide them selfish generator addicts with some friendly "neighborly" advice.

I'm in total agreement with what others have said - this statement just reinforces my opinion from last year that the newer Rangers are a couple of Segways shy of becoming the Black Rock Mall Cops, losers who want to strut around like khaki peacocks pretending to have an air of authority by shouting "I'm in charge here!"

I have nothing but respect for long term Rangers, but you new ones (by the actions of the ones I watched last year and your very public post here) are slaughtering the image they've worked hard to achieve.

Please. Stay home.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Zhust » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Remember, kids, if you think what you're reading is messing with your ideal burn, stop reading. Whatever you read is microcosm, bullshit, and a microcosm bullshit: almost nothing that is said will happen, and that that does will probably not happen anywhere near you.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:57 pm

I love your post Zhust
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:24 pm

Zhust wrote:Remember, kids, if you think what you're reading is messing with your ideal burn, stop reading. Whatever you read is microcosm, bullshit, and a microcosm bullshit: almost nothing that is said will happen, and that that does will probably not happen anywhere near you.

In most cases I agree with you, when it comes to the newer Rangers I don't. We coined the phrase "Black Rock Mall Cop" around Thursday last year, watching the newer ones strut around with the same attitude as this poster and have total interaction fails. I can't say that all the newer ones are that way, but I saw enough to make me worry.

Of course, after we laughed at them & wrote the lingo down we went back to drinking, so all worked out for us at least...

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:30 pm

Oh, shit. Every snarky phrase someone comes up with inspires a new costume idea.
Now I want to be a khaki peacock. Literally, I mean.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby Harinama » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:14 am

I want to apologize for the angry, flippant statement I made regarding generators in this thread. It was spontaneous, and hurtful to many that rely on them for important power needs for themselves and their camps on the playa. I'm sorry that it detracted from a honest discussion about the difficulties we face as a community on the playa.

There are proper ways of dealing with our neighbors in Black Rock City (with compassion and respect), and my post did not represent that ethos. I want everyone to know that i have never, and would never do anything to negatively affect the functioning of another camp, including especially it's generators. In whatever capacity i serve BRC this year, I will work extra hard this year to use honest, open communication to work through issues with fellow burners, and the difficult situations that will inevitably arise. I will also watch that my own passions do not become so inflamed so as to cause me to speak against BM principles.

Again, please accept my most humble apologies for my egregious statements in this thread. They did a disservice to all burners who work hard to make BRC the thriving, creative community it is.
Harinama Das
"inner peace is but a universe away"
Harinama

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:42 am

Damn.. that's a nice shade of red lipstick. Goes well on eplaya's butt cheeks..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby wh..sh » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:52 am

junglesmacks wrote:Damn.. that's a nice shade of red lipstick. Goes well on eplaya's butt cheeks..

:lol: :lol:
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Bob » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:47 pm

In my experience, Rangers are best ignored. They're either screaming at you for violating trivial rules that exist only in their imaginations, or completely unresponsive to legitimate calls for help (eg threatened assault, in one case). They do make some people comfortable, and it's always amusing to hear them give visitors insanely ass-backwards directions to something two miles away that isn't actually there. Kind of scary that the "smart" ones graduate to Gate & Perimeter.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:48 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Damn.. that's a nice shade of red lipstick. Goes well on eplaya's butt cheeks..

Yeah, but in the internet age it's kind of nice to see someone actually admit they may have been wrong, instead of staying on the attack side. It's almost like real communication, and honestly, it can't hurt.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby ranger magnum » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Remember ranger, if you come upon a situation that pushes your buttons, you can always kick it sideways.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:00 pm

ranger magnum wrote:Remember ranger, if you come upon a situation that pushes your buttons, you can always kick it sideways.

LOL Wut?
Gunslinger

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Bob wrote: Kind of scary that the "smart" ones graduate to Gate & Perimeter.

I see you've met Ygmir.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby ygmir » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:
Bob wrote: Kind of scary that the "smart" ones graduate to Gate & Perimeter.

I see you've met Ygmir.

"Peter Principle".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:57 pm

ygmir wrote:"Peter Principle".

I was just playing that game this afternoon.

Wait. What was the question?

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby ygmir » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Eric wrote:
ygmir wrote:"Peter Principle".

I was just playing that game this afternoon.

Wait. What was the question?

smmf brople micny gabble remf.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Harinama wrote:Yes i did go a bit overboard on the generator rant, but some people are really selfish sociopaths(like ringing your camp with RV's, and placing the generators on the outside without baffels!)

Generators are ok, if they are run for short periods and are properly baffled, but most energy needs can be served with a solar array/battery system.

As a Ranger this year, i'll be able to provide them selfish generator addicts with some friendly "neighborly" advice.

Good idea Pink to use a marine battery for CPAP Machine!

I don't think I've ever wished for a bonk more. You sir, are the very definition of not getting what Rangering is about.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man