Aluminet 50%

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Aluminet 50%

Postby fresh » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:12 pm

I found some aluminet on the large online auction site. The seller was receptive to my requests to create a piece to the dimensions that I need for my monkey hut. A 15' x 24' piece, taped and grommeted for about $150. A good deal I think considering other sites I have seen. They would go up to close to 19'8" x 24' at no additional cost since that is the stock they would use. The only thing is that it is 50% aluminet. Most of what I hear people using is 60 or 70%. Has anyone used 50% for their shade structure? I have pondered whether or not I should make the investment in the aluminet or just go with the heavy duty silver tarp I bought already. That one is 16' x 20' and I will have to make adjustments to the current pvc setup I have. The thought for the addition 5 feet of rib length is to maybe get some regular shade cloth to cover the bottom 2-3 feet of space I have now instead of altering the pvc. This would allow some airflow but still give shade.

This is my first attempt at it, any advice would be great. :?:
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot
fresh

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Re: Aluminet 50%

Postby Boijoy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:25 pm

My 2 cents. 50% will not be enough if this is your only source of shade. I used 70% doubled & still get filtered light.
Go with the solid stuff & throw the 50% over your tent or something. see ya in the dust! :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:21 pm

I've seen aluminet (not sure of the %) over the top of shade cloth. Worked quite well. The whole structure is kind of a rectangular tunnel about 35' long, open at both ends. Quite comfortable at mid-day, and moreso with a mild breeze flowing through.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:02 pm

A price of 30 to 35 cents per square foot is pretty good for any shade mesh made into grometted tarps. 50% is better than 0%, and you can toss your vinyl tarp over it in case of rain. Everything gets coated with dust out there, so 50%-70% aluminet is probably nearly as as good as 50%-70% black or green shade mesh.

NOBODY on the eplaya or ANYWHERE to my knowledge has EVER produced actual onsite temperature data for comparison of different shade schemes on the Black Rock Desert. I've used an infrared temperature gun and found that solid light-opaque tarps yield a 10-15 degree temperature drop, but YMMV. UV infiltration? Who knows.
Last edited by Bob on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:04 pm

Bob wrote:I've used an infrared temperature gun and found that solid light-opaque tarps yield a 10-15 degree temperature drop, but YMMV.

Proving once again that Bob is cool...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:26 pm

this time of year grab what you can. greenhouses are buying the stuff like crazy and many suppliers will be lucky to fill your order in time.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby fresh » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:48 pm

Maybe I can use smaller piece on to cover the 5' gap between the tarp size and PVC config I have now. Two piece split into 3' - 4' sections for each bottom sides. Provide more shade but with some airflow. These people seem like they will do any size fitting.
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot
fresh

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:17 pm

As Bob said, 50% is better than 0%, but I don't know that it'll be enough that you'd be happy/comfortable. As with everything, your mileage may vary.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:08 am

Tarps are sails and shade cloth or camo net is less a sail. Monkey huts well built with tarps deal well with wind, especially if the ends can be closed off in big storms. Since silver tarps are a fraction of the price of shade cloth, and shade better, and you have them, the choice is clear.

Suggest touring the playa when you get there, gathering ideas for future structures, making sketches and photos, talking to people. What we do on ePlaya can never match that. (though we have value for planning in advance)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Bob » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:16 am

If you already have a tarp just make that work. You could use the mesh to drape the back end.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Return to Shelter & Camping