How to get your tickets...

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

How to get your tickets...

Postby DeusRegit » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:55 am

How to get your tickets in the middle of the Nevada desert, (or how to ensure the Post Office doesn't chuck your BM tickets in the round file because you gave them an undeliverable address by mistake):
"Mr. Jarman, this is Mandy at the post office. Your plane tickets have arrived and we need your signature."
(In some rural Nevada towns it's best for Burners to keep a low profile. Just sayin'.)

Sandman
http://www.burningmanzeroseven.com
I'm not burnt, just lightly toasted.
DeusRegit

Burning Since: 2007

Re: How to get your tickets...

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:13 am

Okay, I'm completely confused. As far as I can tell there are two totally separate things jammed together here to make...one wtf, perhaps.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:32 am

If you gave an undeliverable address, then there'd be no such interaction and helpfulness from the post office - they just play the Elvis song and return to sender, address unknown. I'd recommend forwarding a copy of the shipment notification email that you received from Burning Man Tickets to partiserv@burningman.com, alerting them to the error in your address (that you did not notice or correct either at the time of purchase or in the 5 months after). When the tickets are returned to Burning Man by the post office, you can hopefully get something sorted out.

Now if you entered the wrong address, but that address may be deliverable (in a fit of dyslexia or bad typing a couple numbers got entered backwards and that's an actual address down the street, for example), then it may depend upon the honesty of others. The person at that address could refuse it ("nobody by that name lives here") in which case it'd get sent back, see the same instructions as above. If they sign for it and accept it (sometimes you sign for stuff at the door before you even look at the name on the address label), then you've got to find and connect with them to get your ticket order. If they're honest, that shouldn't be a problem.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby DeusRegit » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Oh man, now I have to explain what a dumbass I am.
I actually did the right thing when I realized BM had sent my tickets to the wrong address (which I gave them - it was MY error NOT theirs.)
I have two addresses, 1) my physical address that FedEx and UPS delivers to, and 2) my P.O. box which the postal service delivers to. Either one will not deliver to the other.
When I got the email last week that BM had sent my Burning Man tickets, I realized I had a brainfart when i gave them my mailing address. For some reason I gave them my physical address, (which by the way BM received from me as an address change and accordingly DID send to the address I had changed to, like they were suppose to.)
But when I realized it was going to go instead to the post office, I knew that when I had done that in the past, the post office returns it to sender as "undeliverable", even though I have a P.O. box under the same name.
And this is where my attempted humor in my posting comes in: I live in a rural town in central, NV of which the description "staunch conservatism" doesn't even come close to describing this place.
Making a mistake like this is something that, if you can catch it soon enough before the delivery arrives at the post office AND you give them a heads-up that it is coming, AND you can come across as humble as possible and convey the sentiment (with your tail between your legs) that you sincerely appreciate everything they have ever done for you and that postal clerks are God's gift to the human race, THEN you just might get lucky and not have to email Triloblyte or whoever that your tickets are being returned to BM because you screwed up.
NOW, with all that said... the lesson that can be learned from this, as well as provide a helpful tip to the next unlucky dumbass burner that repeats my mistake, is that there are 2 things you might do:
1. Don't tell them the tickets are Burning Man tickets because, (well I don't even need to explain that), tell them they're airline tickets, and
2. Don't let the postal clerk know that you are a burner unless you are pretty certain that they are sympathetic to the misfortunes of stereotyped communist hippie pinkos or the clerk is a burner her or himself. In my town I can count the burners on one finger.

The call from the post office when the tickets came in really did happen as described. The name of the postal clerk was changed to protect the innocent, and boy was I relieved when her sweet little voice told me my plane tickets had come in. Yes, there really is something good to be said about living out here in Fuck Me, NV.
I'm not burnt, just lightly toasted.
DeusRegit

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Making a mistake like this is something that, if you can catch it soon enough before the delivery arrives at the post office AND you give them a heads-up that it is coming, AND you can come across as humble as possible and convey the sentiment (with your tail between your legs) that you sincerely appreciate everything they have ever done for you and that postal clerks are God's gift to the human race, THEN you just might get lucky and not have to email Triloblyte or whoever that your tickets are being returned to BM because you screwed up.

Your understanding of human nature has single-handedly turned around your initial error. :lol: Well done. Also, hilarious. Glad you got your ticket.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion