Anyone traveled Route 50 across Nevada?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Re: Anyone traveled Route 50 across Nevada?

Postby Playa+Tom » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Highway 50 is one of the Great Drives. You can get an award from the State of Nevada for having a 'passport' stamped at the various towns on the way. There is traffic on the road, not crowded by any means but if you have trouble you will not be without help very long in the daytime. I have never driven it at night but suspect that it does become very lonely then. Get gas in Ely and Fernley or Fallon it is available in Eureka and Austin but is expensive. Heading west the best place to spend the night is Ely, there are plenty of cheap motels, decent places to eat and it is a reasonably easy drive from there to BRC.
It is a historic route, following much of the Pony Express route and the Lincoln Highway. There are still remains of the Pony Express stations and a few mile markers from the Lincoln Highway along the way. Stop and walk around Eureka and Austin they are both very interesting little towns and good places to stretch your legs.
Stop at Middlegate for a burger at the saloon, good food and usually some colorful locals in attendance.
It is a good drive, highly recommended, make sure your vehicle is in decent shape and of course watch for cows, antelope, deer, horses, coyotes and bicyclists.
Playa+Tom

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:27 pm

In the meantime, if you're still planning on traveling down I-80, note that the route follows the path of the Humboldt River from Ely all the way to Fernley. This is the same as the old Emigrant Trail Route to California, which really started to get heavy use in 1849 with the start of the gold rush days. I found a wonderful little website which has a LOT of early Nevada historical writings and is good for a few laughs as well at http://www.nevadaobserver.com

In southern Nevada, less than a hundred miles from Las Vegas, is the site of the last and only camel charge in the U.S. The story behind that is GREAT. Nevada is FULL of history.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2013

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby mgb327 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:22 pm

Last year I drove from Va to BM, by myself. What a nice drive. Plenty of beautiful scenery, took tons of good tunes, and my Suburban is a comfy ride. I especially enjoyed Rt 50 across Nevada. I would stop now and then to get out and enjoy the view. Nice "shortcut" to Reno, as I came all the way across the country on 70. Only thing that got to me was....up the hill, down the hill, drive the flat area, up the hill, down the hill, drive the flat area, up the hill, down the hill, drive the flat area...ad infinitum. But, none of that mattered, because I was on my way to BM! Take the road, just be prepared.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:40 pm

i love that road.

one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Ratty » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:27 am

Nice. Thanks for the road trip.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby goathead » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:31 am

Fallon to Utah one traffic light in Ely if I remeber right.
3 or 4 stop signs.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:37 am

US-50 reminds me a lot of 447. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:52 pm

Savannah wrote:US-50 reminds me a lot of 447. :)

yeah, it's only 397 less after all............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Bin Noddin » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:47 pm

mgb327 wrote:Last year I drove from Va to BM, by myself. What a nice drive. Plenty of beautiful scenery, took tons of good tunes, and my Suburban is a comfy ride. I especially enjoyed Rt 50 across Nevada. I would stop now and then to get out and enjoy the view. Nice "shortcut" to Reno, as I came all the way across the country on 70. Only thing that got to me was....up the hill, down the hill, drive the flat area, up the hill, down the hill, drive the flat area, up the hill, down the hill, drive the flat area...ad infinitum. But, none of that mattered, because I was on my way to BM! Take the road, just be prepared.

It's that basin and range thing...
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby Sail Man » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:11 pm

I'll miss the drive out west this year. Consolation prize was Lakes of Fire and a trip to our cabin in N. Ontario in a couple weeks. Now that, is way over do so it should be nice.

Course, it will be just me and my adopted Mom. Pray for me. Or her. LOL
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:07 am

Roberto Dobbisano:

Thanks for posting that Youtube video. It was relaxing.

This year I'm doing the 'history and gemology jaunt'.

Before I get to the playa, I aim to find the remnants of Fort Ruby in the Ruby Valley, and gaze upon what used to be the 'most undesirable posting in all of the US Army". I'm also going to visit the Fort Churchill State Park site as well. Fort Churchill was started during the Civil War by then-Colonel (later Brigadier General P. Edward Connor. This was partially in response to the Battles of Pyramid Lake in May and June of 1860. There were a number of Nevada outposts, forts, and encampments where various units of the 1st Nevada Infantry and 1st Nevada Cavalry were stationed. The first troops in the area were from the 3rd California Volunteers, who were later relieved and augmented by the Nevada units.

After the playa, I plan on hunting opals (the only precious opals in the US are from Nevada), and perhaps turquoise in the middle and eastern part of Nevada.

Opportunities abound out there for a relaxing voyage of personal discovery, not only at the playa. I'm looking forward to it.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2013

^Rhino!

Postby pink » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:46 pm

Ever since I got to Sacramento and saw at the start of 50 the sign saying 'Ocean City, Maryland 3073 miles', I've wanted to drive 50 from one end to the other. I had already seen the sign in Ocean City saying 'Sacramento, CA 3073 miles'.

One day...hopefully soon! :mrgreen:
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby ^Rhino! » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 am

pink,

There are some really neat towns on the way. US 50 goes through the Oklahoma panhandle, most of the east-west distance of Kansas, and Missouri from Kansas City to St. Louis. You'd be welcome. Midwestern hospitality is pretty good.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

^Rhino!

Postby fresh » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Great road. Except someone cut down the shoe tree!
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot
fresh

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Previous

Return to Transportation