Have not received tickets yet. Have you?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
fenwick

Re: Have not received tickets yet. Have you?

Post by fenwick » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:23 pm

by Savannah » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:50 pm
rubymermaid wrote:
Just to assuage fears. No email or ticket for me yet either but I have a charge on my bank statement so I am not worried.

Same here . . .
Misery makes good company - Savannah and rubymermaid, you are not alone - I too wait for E-mail, followed by delivery, but there is a bank charge.

Tomorrow is a new day and a new chance - hope for notice and hope not for disappointment.

I know BMorg (sucks) MUST improve at general communication regarding contracts or in this case a license. Wonder if they processed mail orders alphabetical (last name) or by zip code? Once ticket received, feel much better....

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:29 pm

I am not miserable. :) I hope you aren't either. To have a ticket is fortunate!

I refuse to be nervous for some time yet.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

attemptress
Burning Since: 2012

Post by attemptress » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:15 pm

Machina wrote:So I'm moving August 1. No ticket shipping email yet. I'm in Canada. Eeek. I hope they make it...
I am in the same situation (except not just moving, storing all my stuff and will be on the road for 5 weeks including the Burn) and thinking of calling the ticket folks tomorrow. I don't want to be the annoying person but at the same time... I kinda need my ticket.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:21 pm

Being that annoying person will not get your tickets mailed out any faster. You may want to consider making arrangements to have someone pick up your mail (or pick up mail at the forwarded/new location).

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:26 pm

Ironically, If you had picked "Will Call" instead of having your ticket shipped, you would not be worried about getting your ticket. Just pull up to Will Call, park. Show some photo ID and vola, you would have your ticket.

I did the stressful shipping thing my first two years, now I do Will Call. Sure, I might have to wait in line for 15 minutes, but I know where my ticket is.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:37 pm

stretch80 wrote:Ironically, If you had picked "Will Call" instead of having your ticket shipped, you would not be worried about getting your ticket. Just pull up to Will Call, park. Show some photo ID and vola, you would have your ticket.

I did the stressful shipping thing my first two years, now I do Will Call. Sure, I might have to wait in line for 15 minutes, but I know where my ticket is.
That stress is why I choose to have the tickets delivered. I'd rather have two in hand than in the booth in case some computer glitch or some mistake shows there aren't any tickets assigned to me. Then what do you do? Of course I haven't heard any accounts of that ever happening so maybe my concerns are unfounded.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Rice

Post by Rice » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:44 pm

BBadger wrote:
stretch80 wrote:Ironically, If you had picked "Will Call" instead of having your ticket shipped, you would not be worried about getting your ticket. Just pull up to Will Call, park. Show some photo ID and vola, you would have your ticket.

That stress is why I choose to have the tickets delivered. I'd rather have two in hand than in the booth in case some computer glitch or some mistake shows there aren't any tickets assigned to me. Then what do you do? Of course I haven't heard any accounts of that ever happening so maybe my concerns are unfounded.
Never heard of it happening either. I bring printouts of all emails, confirmation numbers, etc. I use my passport as ID. Have not had any issues.

Sure, I was a bit anxious the first time I used will call... Then I realized, heck. I don't have to worry about losing my ticket on the 3000Km drive down, getting it confiscated at the border, or something like that. No Problem. Its not like I can just buy a ticket if I forget it at home.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

bubbavic

Post by bubbavic » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:48 pm

I, too, am of the Ticketless and Waiting. Kind of like Sleepless in Seattle but with more ass-less chaps. :)
aka FlyingSquirrel =)

Rice

Post by Rice » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:51 pm

bubbavic wrote:I, too, am of the Ticketless and Waiting. Kind of like Sleepless in Seattle but with more ass-less chaps. :)
At least you are not dealing with a postal strike, like we were last year...

My Canadian peeps were stressed out, wondering if their tickets were going to show up at all. Mail was taking 2 weeks to cross my city and a much longer to get across the country. I kinda felt bad, knowing my tickets were waiting for me. (But I digress, Will Call - good, for some ppl)
Love Rice

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:56 pm

stretch80 wrote:
BBadger wrote:

Never heard of it happening either. I bring printouts of all emails, confirmation numbers, etc. I use my passport as ID. Have not had any issues.

Sure, I was a bit anxious the first time I used will call... Then I realized, heck. I don't have to worry about losing my ticket on the 3000Km drive down, getting it confiscated at the border, or something like that. No Problem. Its not like I can just buy a ticket if I forget it at home.
The first time I did Will Call I found it kinda disconcerting too, to drive up there without my ticket in hand. But I agree with Stretch, it's probably safer to have the tickets at Will Call. It just doesn't quite feel that way. ;)

Rice

Post by Rice » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:34 am

SnowBlind wrote:The first time I did Will Call I found it kinda disconcerting too, to drive up there without my ticket in hand. But I agree with Stretch, it's probably safer to have the tickets at Will Call. It just doesn't quite feel that way. ;)
So, it boils down to trust.

I trust that Burning Man LLC will have my ticket at the Box Office for my pickup when I arrive on the playa. I do not trust USPS and Canada Post to succeed in getting my ticket to my door. Simple. I used to pay the extra shipping costs just to have some sort of insurance on actually getting my tickets. Now I know that they are somewhere safe.

I see several people stressing out on getting their tickets. Due to moving or travelling or whatever. Would you not agree that in those cases, Will Call would have been a better choice? It is pretty simple, tickets at Will Call will be there no matter where you travel or if you move, whatever.

This is my opinion, observation, and feeling. You (and anyone else) are welcome to have differing opinions. Whatever you do, hold those tickets close when you get them. If you have them mailed, make sure you have them with you as you leave, are at the edge of your city, 1/2 way there and ready to give to Gate staff before you reach the gate.
Love Rice

dwonj

Post by dwonj » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:21 am

We got ours via Pre-Sale, and still no tickets or email as of 7/6/12. I will not freak out...I will not freak out...

attemptress

Post by attemptress » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:04 am

trilobyte wrote:Being that annoying person will not get your tickets mailed out any faster. You may want to consider making arrangements to have someone pick up your mail (or pick up mail at the forwarded/new location).
Yes. I'm on the road with no fixed address after the end of this month. I am hoping I can switch the address and have a care/of for signature on a pit stop in another city I'll be in before the Burn. Alternately, there is will call.

It'll all work out. Thanks trilo.

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:11 am

dwonj wrote:We got ours via Pre-Sale, and still no tickets or email as of 7/6/12. I will not freak out...I will not freak out...
Me neither, and I too am presale.

This jives with other presalers I've seen on here though.

As with anything, better communication would help so so much.

A simple: "Tickets are being mailed. We anticipate them all being sent by July 15."
Sic Semper Spectatores

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:05 am

Savannah wrote:I am not miserable. :) I hope you aren't either. To have a ticket is fortunate!

I refuse to be nervous for some time yet.
You are being too sensible.
Panic now!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:15 am

Trillo maybe you can shed some insite. It seems like less people have tickets in hand then emails have gone out. Seems like ALOT of people have not gotten emails. I cant say out of my 45 burner fb friend any of them have gotten emails or tickets yet. Any insite into what the heck is going on at BM org. Seems like only 100 tickets are going out at this pace. Kinda was under the understanding the rest would be out at the end of this week. This is going on 2 weeks of them sending tickets out. If they had them all out it would be 5000 a day they would have sent out. Does not seem like that high of a number if you figure 5 people working on them or 8 hours that makes 125 tickets done an hour by person in a 8 hour day. ok yeah a little high so if we had 10 people working on them 62 an hour 20 people 31 and hour. So I say hire on 20 people for 2 weeks and all of them would be sent out. Of course this is all by hand but with sort of scanning system this could be streamlined and 10 people could get it done.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:00 am

tg
Remember that 45 is not much of a sample of 50,000. One tenth of a percent isn't necessarily a representative sample. Wildly guessing how long it takes to stuff the envelope and coordinating it with the tracking number and email isn't really helpful. At your stats you have each person stuffing more than 100 envelopes in an hour. I don't think that they can do that. Not while taking the care that the tracking takes. And I'd hate to be the person who only got one of the two tickets s/he'd paid for, because the stuffer was trying to keep to an overly ambitious quota.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:17 am

@attemptress - it's too late to change your address, but tickets will have gotten to you before the end of the month.

attemptress

Post by attemptress » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:30 pm

cheers....

...exhale.

zifra

Post by zifra » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:19 pm

OK, I understand the electric energy, I feel it too! I have been checking my email looking for that tracking number, waiting for the mail lady. But math? Really?? Take a deep breath, the event is not until August, for goodness sake. No one at BM is working any slower than necessary, it's s a big job. And one of many, I am sure, as they prepare for our week of fun. So enjoy the wait. The anticipation. Think of it like Christmas. It's actually better before you open the presents than after.

When you get too analytical you loose the moments...

Z
Zifra

Cannot wait top get home!

"Feel it, Live it, Share it!"

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:26 pm

I wonder if tickets (tier 2) were sent out in alphabetical order according to the names on the tickets? Mine were sent out on the 28th and my last name is close to the beginning of the alphabet. A friend with a last name at "P" reported yesterday (5th) having got his (tier 1).

I'm betting like most things that there is no correlation though.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:30 pm

zifra wrote: Think of it like Christmas. It's actually better before you open the presents than after.

Z

Christmas is on the same day every year so I know when I will be getting them :P lol. Does not help one of my buds, the one who convinced me to go this year, just posted a big picture of him and his tickets. Blah! lol

BBadger wrote:I wonder if tickets (tier 2) were sent out in alphabetical order according to the names on the tickets? Mine were sent out on the 28th and my last name is close to the beginning of the alphabet. A friend with a last name at "P" reported yesterday (5th) having got his (tier 1).

I'm betting like most things that there is no correlation though.

My friend who got his in the mail today his last name starts with a T And he was a $320 tier. I'm a P and in $420 camp tickets.

Rice

Post by Rice » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Possible methods of ticket shipping:
  • Random Zip/Postal codes
  • Alphabet
  • By Region
  • Dart board
  • Credit card number
  • Random
  • Most Burner to least
  • Greatest Sparkle Pony to least
  • Best Friends first (think school team pick)
  • Monkey's throwing poo
  • Shoe size
  • Number of years attended (most to least)
  • Perceived value to BRC
  • Weighted determination based of BART schedule
  • Something seemingly logical that no one has guessed
Love Rice

newburn85

Post by newburn85 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm trying to be patient. I just get nervous when they say end of June and at the end of June they say "going in the mail now." A week later, I don't even have an email, which means they won't arrive for probably a full week after ??? who knows? Bottom line, they need to communicate better. If the jackrabbitspeaks newsletter said "they're starting to go out now and should arrive to everyone by the end of july at the latest" I would be relaxing right now. Instead it said they went out, and my email says otherwise.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:52 pm

You know they've never done this before. Maybe they just don't know. I do find that the llc tends to hold its cards close to the chest, and I see it cause them problems, but I don't expect any different any more. And the way that no matter what they do, some people find a way to blame them leaves me chary of the blaming itself...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

number3
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: French Quarter

Post by number3 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:23 pm

I haven't gotten mine either. I feel a lot better that I'm not alone though, and I'm waiting for JRS newsletter today to see what the status is.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:30 pm

there is one coming out today? One just came out June 29th.

number3
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: French Quarter

Post by number3 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:33 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:there is one coming out today? One just came out June 29th.
I think so, since it's coming up I think they start doing weekly ones. I could totally be off on that though...

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:39 pm

The main site describes JRS as "weekly" so that people aren't too startled by the pace of the newsletters in the summer. In the slower parts of the year, it's seen (approximately) every 4 weeks.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Maybe some of the SF residents should mossie over to HQ and volunteer for envelope stuffing.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”