leave to pick someone up and return

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

leave to pick someone up and return

Postby bazzafly » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:05 pm

So my partner is only able to attend Thurs to Sunday and I am trying to work out how to get her from Reno and then back on Sunday. I will be camped in the French Quarter my other camp mates are renting a car at and driving from Reno I am coming from Colorado with most of the camp gear.

Any suggestions on how to work this I am a virgin so still working through all the ins and outs.

cheers
bazzafly

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: French Quarter, Cafe fin de lu Monde

Re: leave to pick someone up and return

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Here ya go.

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... rvice.html

Don't leave without your stub and a re-entry chit (and anything else the folks of Gate may require).
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby lemur » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:20 pm

do not leave the event .. (untill..)

.. on the way out you stop at the gate and get your needed stuff for returning .. a ticket stub isnt enough .. youll need to buy the in/out pass.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby glitteranddust » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Yep, you can do this. Don't forget to purchase an in/out pass. I'd keep your stub, receipt, and ID with you just to be prudent.... better well prepared than delayed/stuck outside.
"A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows."

Sober on the playa? http://www.runfreecamp.com
glitteranddust

Postby bazzafly » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:47 pm

great thanks. Can i drive out and then back in? Is there an area where cars are parked that are not DMV registered but are intended to be used for such cases.

cheers
bazzafly

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: French Quarter, Cafe fin de lu Monde

Postby International Incident » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:06 pm

You can drive your vehicle in and out of your camping spot (as long as it isn't in the walk in camping zone) as long as you are coming into or leaving the event. Just drive slow!

It will become much clearer once you are in BRC.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby Rice » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:06 pm

bazzafly wrote:great thanks. Can i drive out and then back in? Is there an area where cars are parked that are not DMV registered but are intended to be used for such cases.

cheers

Well, yes. You will need to pay for a reentry pass at the gate.

Make sure that you can get your vehicle out of your camp when you want. Frequently, it will get boxed in by other cars, tents, trailers, rv's and such.

Make sure to go the speed limit in the city and on gate road.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Just set aside the $300 for the taxi ride to BRC from reno and use it for the taxi ride. No meet up time differential conflicts no extra time out of the city and well worth the $$. No problem getting from gayte to the city(just hitch a ride). Make sure the arriving party knows how to navigate in BRC before hand, The exact address of camp and all is good. Hell. hang out at greeters and have a blast until your party arrives.
My 2c.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Rice » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:35 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:Just set aside the $300 for the taxi ride to BRC from reno and use it for the taxi ride. No meet up time differential conflicts no extra time out of the city and well worth the $$. No problem getting from gayte to the city(just hitch a ride). Make sure the arriving party knows how to navigate in BRC before hand, The exact address of camp and all is good. Hell. hang out at greeters and have a blast until your party arrives.
My 2c.

Uh, You will need to get to the gate if you are catching a taxi to Reno. Greeters is inside the city. aka: Gate is not greeters.

The Taxi driver will not be allowed into BRC unless they have a ticket. (Each occupant of a vehicle is required to have a ticket.)

If trying to get into BRC, your Taxi will have to drop you at the gate. It is about a mile walk from the gate to greeters. Gate staff probably wont like you walking from gate to greeters since the road is very dusty and people disappear in the dust.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby glitteranddust » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:21 am

I do all sorts of stupid things and I wouldn't really want to walk that stretch.... I can say this from doing that on a bike. Too many cars not paying attention because nobody is really used to seeing pedestrians (or even cyclists) on that stretch and so they're looking for massive amounts of steel in the dust. It's like "Oh, no one is there..." and then "SURPRISE!"... at least on a bike if you see a car that doesn't see you coming, you can peddle your ass off to GTFO of the way but on foot it'd probably be like *thump!*. There's also just the fact that being behind all those cars sans windshield is a bit like having your own personal mini dust storm to contend with.
"A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows."

Sober on the playa? http://www.runfreecamp.com
glitteranddust

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:58 am

To the OP. There will be an online rideshare board up, a rideshare BBS on playa and a rideshare desk at the Reno airport. There will be a way to send the exact location of your camp to your sweetie by text or email. It is possible on playa texting will be available for navigating the last 100 feet.

So they could get a ride from the Reno airport. Another option which would be special is to have her fly in/out by Advantage Flight with just enough luggage to walk back to your camp in a wagon.

Connecting on the playa and rides are iffy, so it helps to go into it with that attitude.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby jkisha » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:57 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:Just set aside the $300 for the taxi ride to BRC from reno and use it for the taxi ride. No meet up time differential conflicts no extra time out of the city and well worth the $$. No problem getting from gayte to the city(just hitch a ride). Make sure the arriving party knows how to navigate in BRC before hand, The exact address of camp and all is good. Hell. hang out at greeters and have a blast until your party arrives.
My 2c.

If she's going to pay that much money, she'd be better off sharing a charter on one of the small airplanes and fly right into BRC airport. It would be a much more interesting experience, and would make for a great story of her first time arrival on the playa too!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:10 am

jkisha wrote:
My 2c.

If she's going to pay that much money, she'd be better off sharing a charter on one of the small airplanes and fly right into BRC airport. It would be a much more interesting experience, and would make for a great story of her first time arrival on the playa too!

JK, This idea would be very cool.

The reason I suggested a Taxi is that there are no deadlines or schedules and in the case of aircraft no weight restrictions. Yeah it is expensive but it is the amount I was quoted to get from the Hospital in Reno back to BRC and was lower than the meeter charge. I watched the driver look it up.

Stretch, Thanks for reminding me that gate is not greeters. :wink:
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:19 am

Forgive me if I missed this suggestion and the reason it wouldn't work but,

If 95% of her gear is being driven out, why can't she catch a ride at the Reno Air Port?
If she has 1 small carry-on type bag it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, possibly chat up some folks on eplaya and in the ride share and see if anyone else is leaving Reno on Thursday.

Last year my sister was not able to arrive until Wednesday. After she got her rental car she picked up a couple of random burners that needed rides to BRC. Though, by Thursday the waiting line could take hours for someone to pick her up.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Return to Transportation