Early Arrival Question

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Early Arrival Question

Postby psychosam666 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:53 pm

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no, but I'm going to ask anyways just in case there has been some change since last year.

Black Rock City gates open at 12AM Monday (Midnight Sunday). The shuttle service "To Flame" has many shuttle times prior to that time. If I were to take the Sunday shuttle, would I be able to sit outside until the gates open at midnight?

Again, I am pretty sure the answer is no since last year it specifically said "Do not come to the event site before our Gate opens" but just in case there's a chance there was a change in the rules, my fingers are crossed! Thank you :)
psychosam666

Re: Early Arrival Question

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Okay, this is the first I;ve heard of this shuttle.

But the pre-opening shuttle runs (presuming that they exist at all, yes, I looked at the website) would be for people who also have early entry passes. Imagine how much it would suck sitting outside the gate waiting for the next day's shuttle to pick you up and take you to Reno...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:34 pm

no.

you cant be in the closure area without proper authorization ...in the case of before the gate opens to general public that means having an early access pass (and a ticket).. in the case of after the gate opens it means having a valid ticket.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Rice » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:20 pm

You could wait for a shuttle to take you into BRC after the gates open.

Do not try to wait by the gates. There is no a waiting area. You will be asked to leave.

If you do not leave, you will have a conversation with law enforcement . . . (remember, Burning Man is on Federal land: 1st trespassing ticket ~ $150, 2nd trespassing ticket ~ $300, 3rd trespassing- free ride in back of BLM SUV with handcuffs... All tickets are federal and would result in a federal arrest warrant if not paid. Anyone from outside of the USA would not be welcome in the USA as a result.) - I cannot remember exact ticket costs.

Do yourself and everyone at Gate a favour - If you do not have an early entry pass, stay off the playa... (aka: stay in Reno)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:05 pm

stretch80 wrote:If you do not have an early entry pass, stay off the playa... (aka: stay in Reno)

+1...and aka: Cedarville if'n yer coming in from the north...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Rice » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:38 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
stretch80 wrote:If you do not have an early entry pass, stay off the playa... (aka: stay in Reno)

+1...and aka: Cedarville if'n yer coming in from the north...

Pull off the highway completely onto a rest lane!! Stopping on the highway is dangerous and will attract LE attention.

Stopping on the gate road is also dangerous (think big clouds of dust) and will also get you some attention... If you are lucky, perimeter staff will stop and have a chat. If you leave you should be ok (they might make note of your vehicle, license plate, occupants, etc). If you are not lucky, a BLM Park ranger will stop for a chat -- good luck with that.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:32 pm

Word on the street is folks wait at the Walmart in Fernley until gate opens
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby Canoe » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm

ranger magnum wrote:Word on the street is folks wait at the Walmart in Fernley until gate opens

And most of the other walmarts in Reno. (there's one in the South tucked in behind other stores that gets a lot less Burner traffic - obvious in number of Burners there, and the look on the staff's face)
And the Ride-Share locations (Keystone, etc.).
And flocking to a Starbucks for one last internet access before the burn.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby illy dilly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 am

ranger magnum wrote:Word on the street is folks wait at the Walmart in Fernley until gate opens

And its an F*ing blast!
Also, if you're having vehicle trouble, this is the place to stop and take care of it!
There is an Auto parts (O'rielly's if memory serves) store an 80 yard walk from the parking lot. There is also a break shop right there.

Even more importantly, there will be burners coming through who can either help you fix your shit, or explain how to fix your shit!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:46 am

Thumbs up on Fernley Wally Mart if you are coming from the East. Great time there and they are very burner friendly. Here are some pics of the lot from Sunday afternoon before gate opens:
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Rice » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:39 pm

I have staged in Fernley more than once myself. The Wallymart is well stocked as is the grocery store across the main drag. There is a RadioShack there as well (I think).

Just plan your drive to hit the playa around midnight and you should be fine. Unless you hate waiting in line, which will happen, so then I suggest leaving Fernley around 6AM Monday. (or some such time)

My experience might be different that yours. - every year seems to be different...
Love Rice

Rice

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:19 pm

One thing to keep in mind, but obviously something that should not be planned for since the official gate opening time is still 12AM Monday morning, is that Gate opened at 6pm Sunday evening in 2010 and 2011 due to the volume of traffic plugging up 447.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Rice » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:41 pm

CapSmashy wrote:One thing to keep in mind, but obviously something that should not be planned for since the official gate opening time is still 12AM Monday morning, is that Gate opened at 6pm Sunday evening in 2010 and 2011 due to the volume of traffic plugging up 447.

So, if people show up around 6pm on Sunday, won't that create additional issues??

Personally, I would be trying to encourage people to show up when they are supposed to. BRC is under the watchful eye of BLM and participants who ignore the requirements of this permit put unnecessary strain on the event...
Love Rice

Rice

Postby portaplaya » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:13 pm

Addressing the original question about getting on the shuttle bus:

The bus should be checking everyone boarding to make sure they have an early entry pass. Otherwise the Gate would be acting within their policy to have the vehicle turned around and sent back to Reno without unloading. People are never allowed to wait at the Gate, for anything.
portaplaya

Postby Homiesinheaven » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:25 pm

stretch80 wrote:
CapSmashy wrote:One thing to keep in mind, but obviously something that should not be planned for since the official gate opening time is still 12AM Monday morning, is that Gate opened at 6pm Sunday evening in 2010 and 2011 due to the volume of traffic plugging up 447.

So, if people show up around 6pm on Sunday, won't that create additional issues??

Personally, I would be trying to encourage people to show up when they are supposed to. BRC is under the watchful eye of BLM and participants who ignore the requirements of this permit put unnecessary strain on the event...

FYI, according to the 2012 Survival Guide the official gate opening this year is 6 PM on Sunday 8/26.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Rice » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:34 pm

Homiesinheaven wrote:
stretch80 wrote:

FYI, according to the 2012 Survival Guide the official gate opening this year is 6 PM on Sunday 8/26.

Have not seen the 2012 Survival Guide. So, everything I see on the BM website reflects the 2011 info.

Therefore, Just saying what I know :)

So, since the gates open (according to the 2012 guide I have not seen) at 6pm on Sunday, it does not mean that its ok to show up at noon....
Love Rice

Rice

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:04 am

Homiesinheaven wrote:FYI, according to the 2012 Survival Guide the official gate opening this year is 6 PM on Sunday 8/26.

Excellent.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:07 pm

First it's 12:01 and everyone starts showing up at 6 PM on Sunday. Now it's 6 PM so everyone w/b showing up at noon. This will go one for a coupla years, then it w/b opening at noon, on ad infinauseum....
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:14 pm

That's my take, too. Maybe they can be more affective at turning people back on 447. Don't knwo why that would be, but daylight makes some things easier.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:47 pm

Or BLM could stop granting the permit because we keep fudging the time! :(
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Rice » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:51 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:That's my take, too. Maybe they can be more affective at turning people back on 447. Don't knwo why that would be, but daylight makes some things easier.

If they start putting flaggers in Gerlach and on the highway for the entrance as well as exodus, it should improve some of the traffic issues. (aka: if people know, for sure, that they cannot get in and should not be in line, they may be inclined to wait elsewhere...) But I doubt they will listen anyhow :(
Love Rice

Rice

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Next early arrival question:

At what point does an early-arrival pass become moot because of traffic stacking up? Specifically, in order to get our saloon built and running by the time the event opens, we have to get on the playa early, but don't want to abuse the privilege by showing up -too- early, and don't want to give our early-entry passes to crew members who are just going to get stuck in traffic.

Thankee y'all!
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Rice » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:13 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:Next early arrival question:

At what point does an early-arrival pass become moot because of traffic stacking up? Specifically, in order to get our saloon built and running by the time the event opens, we have to get on the playa early, but don't want to abuse the privilege by showing up -too- early, and don't want to give our early-entry passes to crew members who are just going to get stuck in traffic.

Thankee y'all!

The early arrival pass will be valid starting a certain day. That information will be on the pass. As long as you do not show up the day before the pass is valid you will be fine.

Traffic is good most of the week prior to the gate opening. It gets a bit busier (15 minute wait) on Friday, (20-40 min wait) on Saturday. Sunday is "interesting" and there will be longer lineups.
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:32 pm

stretch80 wrote:Traffic is good most of the week prior to the gate opening. It gets a bit busier (15 minute wait) on Friday, (20-40 min wait) on Saturday. Sunday is "interesting" and there will be longer lineups.

From past experience Sunday can turn into a cluster-fuck, and with Gate opening early this year I would warn my people to avoid arriving after noon that day.

We have "weekend" early arrival this year, we plan on arriving early Sat to get set up done (fairly simple arrangement, we are a newspaper & not a bar, luckily!)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Rice » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Eric wrote:
stretch80 wrote:Traffic is good most of the week prior to the gate opening. It gets a bit busier (15 minute wait) on Friday, (20-40 min wait) on Saturday. Sunday is "interesting" and there will be longer lineups.

From past experience Sunday can turn into a cluster-fuck, and with Gate opening early this year I would warn my people to avoid arriving after noon that day.

We have "weekend" early arrival this year, we plan on arriving early Sat to get set up done (fairly simple arrangement, we are a newspaper & not a bar, luckily!)

My "Interesting" is a very polite way of saying "clusterfuck" - I would avoid trying to use early entry on Sunday after say 8am, the traffic will be bad...
Love Rice

Rice

Return to Transportation