DEAR SOUND CAMPS.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: DEAR SOUND CAMPS.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Does that make you Nixon or Mao?

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:16 pm

both.

dj's are like cats...

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:

dj's are like cats...

With usually less talent.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:47 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:

dj's are like cats...

With usually less talent.

doc, i respectfully disagree.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:42 am

I'll be damned if I can recall seeing a video that made less sense than that one. Though the babe in the orange top was kind of hot.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:44 am

thats because you're on old fogey....

i may be the same age as you, but i'm not....

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby The CO » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:29 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:For the record. I like my beats four on the floor and "on the one"...

Dubstep is for seizures.

M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:59 pm

ok, here is one of of those split the baby in half decisions. I was ready to pounce, but then i read it.

Three cheers...I LOVE the coil, it is truly magnificent, and indeed a work of art and a labor of Love.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/338 ... galaxatron

it's an Art Project run by a Sound Camp.

I think I'm more than all right with this.

i'm simon of the playa, and I approve of this message.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby remi » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:19 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:ok, here is one of of those split the baby in half decisions. I was ready to pounce, but then i read it.

Three cheers...I LOVE the coil, it is truly magnificent, and indeed a work of art and a labor of Love.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/338 ... galaxatron

it's an Art Project run by a Sound Camp.

I think I'm more than all right with this.

i'm simon of the playa, and I approve of this message.

This is my first year, so I have a question about donating. If I decide to donate, however the target amount is not met (meaning the project will not be built,) do I get my donation refunded?
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:01 am

As always, read the terms and conditions on the site you're looking to use. But generally speaking, the way kickstarter works is if the project doesn't meet its target by the deadline set, then money's refunded and they get nothing (don't feel too bad, they set both the financial goal and the date). If they do hit the number in time, then they get all those donations (less some kind of processing fee that the site charges, I believe).

I too am all for the return of the Nexus Galaxotron.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:05 am

Just a quick observation of the obvious.

The friction that exists between the different factions of burning man must end.

Sound Camps...i dont know about you personally, but for me, i am a Burner First, and a Raver Second.

Burning Man is NOT A RAVE, electronic dance music has become a large part of the festivities, but i have seen the change, since 1996 (and there are many others out there who have witnessed an even Longer Arc) and i think a Balance Must be struck or we risk ending up Coachellized and Bonnarood.

The Rolling Stone Article comes to mind.

this is NOT a good thing, trust me.

it is one thing to want recognition, maybe even a kiss and a reach around from the Bmorg, because i do think the LSC's provide a gift, and Art to the playa....However, it is NOT the reason to go to Burning Man, those are vast and very individualistic.

I am with Root Society, one of those Massive Sound Camps. I am Nixon going to china. I want to make it clear that the element that attends EDC, DAYGLO, COACHELLA, etc etc etc who are merely concerned with popping x and dancing around in fluffy neon clothes without regards to anything except their own instant gratification sickens me.

they do not belong at burning man unless they adopt and take to heart the principles that it follows.

we have room for all types of Burners, but notice, the word BURNER comes first.

i dont give a shit who the fuck you are out in defaultia, it's how you behave on the playa that i judge a person.

Dear Sound Camps, we are not here to Take Over Burning Man, we are here to participate in the beautiful patchwork quilt that is Black Rock City.

not overwhelm it.

I am walking a tight rope here, but it must be done. We have to consider the Moores Law curve of Increasing popularity of EDM (electronic dance music) and it's affect on the population of Burning Man.

Large Sound Camps, it is up to us to TEACH THEM BEFORE THEY GET HERE, and then continue that process all week...im talking heavy indoctrination here, boot camp for the ponies, to turn them into mules.

It Is SURVIVAL CAMPING, INCREDIBLE ARTWORK, COMMUNITY, and MUSIC all in a balance...

if this balance is upset, and i fear it is, bad things happen.

I hate to sound like Cassandra, but beware, the Barbarians ARE at the gate, be prepared to disarm them, charm them, and change them before they destroy the culture that the petri dish of Burning Man has grown.

They are not the enemy, they are just not Dusty, Yet.

Help Them Get Dusty, Please.

if this wonderful experiment is to continue onward we must protect the original seed stock, as well as welcome hybridization and new strains.

hopefully, all of these growing pains will shake themselves out over time, Just as other Watershed years have produced changes and the project has evolved. this year will be one of those years, without a doubt.

I am Confidant that we CAN do it, Burners are the most Intrepid, Enthusiastic, Graceful, Learned, Improvisational, Mindful, Artistic, Varied and Eccentric, Wild and Wonderful People i know....the list of Adjectives goes on and on but you get my drift.

I WILL fight to protect Burning Man...I WILL fight to protect the Black Rock Desert and surrounding Area...i Will fight for the Sound Camps and their right to be Burners too...

i will not fight for stupid consumer based fad followers who hop on bandwagons.

root society has been on the playa for almost a decade in on form or another.

we have had many campers thru the years join our family.

We Burn. And we're getting better each and every year at it.

and i plan on keeping it that way...and spreading this message to all of our guests.

Dust First, Dance Second.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:19 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:... we risk ending up Coachellized and Bonnarood.

(if I may suggest "Bonnarude"...)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby shykat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:21 am

Bmorg should just dump their publicty dept. Really, they don't need it anymore...There are now enough return burners to spread the word and get new people out there ,that will be schooled somewhat on what the event is.

Overheard: "Burning Man doesn't even pay the artists,i would rather spend my money at Chocella" (she was talking about musical artists/acts)

I belive most people who have not attended, think TTITD is a big rave/chochella type event and it is very important to let them know it's not.

I also have a harder time explaining what the event to 20somethings, compared to someone older. Not in all cases , but in most.

The event is so much more then 2 and 10 o clock.... i do love to get down and shake it................
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:29 am

shykat wrote:Bmorg should just dump their publicty dept.

Okay, I'm confused here. They have people who talk to the media and put out press releases, but they don't have a "publicity department" as I understand the term. In true burner spirit, we did the advertising. I know I can't compete with the rolodex of a successful sparklepony, and I have a hideous dislike of hyping anything thing, so obviously, I fell down on the job...

And all this time I thought I was helping by not bringing in more people...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby shykat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:46 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
shykat wrote:Bmorg should just dump their publicty dept.

Okay, I'm confused here. They have people who talk to the media and put out press releases, but they don't have a "publicity department" as I understand the term. In true burner spirit, we did the advertising. I know I can't compete with the rolodex of a successful sparklepony, and I have a hideous dislike of hyping anything thing, so obviously, I fell down on the job...

And all this time I thought I was helping by not bringing in more people...

Ok. I'm not trying to blame the Bmorg. Just that most press makes the event look a big wild dance party and it's a tough to make poeple understand it's not just that.
The RS article about EDM, metioned BM and a couple of camps, i belive it had pictures in the article, does the Bmorg need to give RS, permission to use the images????

Selfishly, i have stopped gushing about the event to people....
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:24 am

I think they have a sisyfan (sp) struggle here. Even if they are able to educate the reporters about the event, that doesn't mean that the editors are educated, or the money people are educated. For the press, the predictable sells. (Ironically...) Throw in a couple of sparklepony pictures, talk about raves, toss in a few more cliches rather than doing the footwork, and you're home free!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 am

it was suggested by Pop-Tart at our friends at Ba'al Mart that one way to address this issue is to NOT RELEASE line-ups prior to the burn.

i wholeheartedly agree with this.

if you wanna find out who's playing, go to the camp and look for the sign in dusty sharpie, nailed up with a dusty hammer, but NOT BEFORE.

I'm Sorry, Kate 'Rock-star' Librarian, but this year, you may have to wait to publish the history of who played what and where and when until AFTER the event.

as it should be, IMHO...

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:37 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:it was suggested by Pop-Tart at our friends at Ba'al Mart that one way to address this issue is to NOT RELEASE line-ups prior to the burn.

if you wanna find out who's playing, go to the camp and look for the sign in dusty sharpie, nailed up with a dusty hammer, but NOT BEFORE.

I'm Sorry, Kate 'Rock-star' Librarian, but this year, you may have to wait to publish the history of who played what and where and when until AFTER the event.

as it should be, IMHO...

That is a great idea.

A fun surprise . . . randomness . . . chaos . . . is very much in the spirit of the event. Advertising that a DJ will play is . . . Default.

We've got the rest of the year to know almost exactly what's going to happen to us on a daily basis.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:38 am

For instance, I love this series, because it makes fun of the way people write about burningman, just as much as it makes fun of burningman.
Alas, I've only found a link for Day 7...

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Homiesinheaven » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:40 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:I am walking a tight rope here, but it must be done. We have to consider the Moores Law curve of Increasing popularity of EDM (electronic dance music) and it's affect on the population of Burning Man.

Large Sound Camps, it is up to us to TEACH THEM BEFORE THEY GET HERE, and then continue that process all week...im talking heavy indoctrination here, boot camp for the ponies, to turn them into mules.

i'm all for that too Simon but why hasnt Root Society updated their website since 2010? just curious. btw, i know of a Nixon in China documentary if you're interested.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:52 am

homie, as a student of American History and also a major in international relations i probably have seen it... 8)

as far as the website goes we are working on that, it is a technical matter that is being fixed and the site changed.

we intentionally changed our outside persona's name and it is an different entity altogether.

this has been discussed with BMorgs legal team etc and we remain transparent in our attempts to not infringe upon community standards, and in fact bolster them and spread the ten principles to the EDM community at large.

we are trying as hard as we can, and will continue to do so.

we love Burning Man too much not to.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Homiesinheaven » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:03 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:homie, as a student of American History and also a major in international relations i probably have seen it... 8)

have you seen the one that came out 4 months ago from the Nixon Presidential Library? it's got never before seen footage. my friend made it and it's pretty cool. 8)

glad to hear the website will be updated to inform the masses!
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:14 am

Homiesinheaven wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:homie, as a student of American History and also a major in international relations i probably have seen it... 8)

have you seen the one that came out 4 months ago from the Nixon Presidential Library? it's got never before seen footage. my friend made it and it's pretty cool. 8)

glad to hear the website will be updated to inform the masses!

no, i dont think so...but thanks for the tip, im googling it now because im a history nerd, and nixon in particular fascinates me because my parents worked on the McGovern Campaign and i was 9-10 yrs old when he resigned.

it was a weird time.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:18 pm

Savannah wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:it was suggested by Pop-Tart at our friends at Ba'al Mart that one way to address this issue is to NOT RELEASE line-ups prior to the burn.

as it should be, IMHO...

That is a great idea.

A fun surprise . . . randomness . . . chaos . . . is very much in the spirit of the event. Advertising that a DJ will play is . . . Default.

We've got the rest of the year to know almost exactly what's going to happen to us on a daily basis.

Love this, and what it would do to the phone apps and OCD planner-types.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:35 pm

indeed.

you remember what happened last year with my list of 10 things that were must do's...

we batted 0 for 10...

oh well.

Still had the best Fudging time EVER!

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:50 pm

In my experience, the people I know who like to dance and go to BM could teach BM a thing or two about its professed values. And some of the DJ's grew up with BM and represent the values much better than most.

BM is aging out and will die out without dance music.

Publishing DJ lineups in advance publishes it to people with tickets once tickets are unavailable. And the old lists are harder to find than what the LSC's put on their websites and funding show promotions. It's the mass media you need to worry about promoting the "wrong image", not librarians.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Camp Name: Woo

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:57 pm

some seeing eye, i love the librarian and all the work she does, im suggesting we hold our cards until we get to the table...

just think of all the fun speculating will be... :twisted:

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Pop_Tart » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:27 pm

some seeing eye wrote:BM is aging out and will die out without dance music.

I disagree. If it wasn't electro, it'd be dub step, or salsa, or polka, or the waltz. Music comes and goes, morphs and blends. Mozart is still selling well I hear. I bet he would play really well over the systems of a big sound camp (or twelve in conjunction).

One of my favorite musical experiences last year was the 16 person brass band playing from the balcony of the french quarter... which was largely ignored by the candy ravers walking off to the wub wub wub in the distance.

In 2009, my favorite was when an old friend randomly started pole dancing in a goth club to a slow, dark, sultry beat...

BM is whatever we make of it. I like to dance, and I even enjoy the dubstep sometimes. But BM will only continue to grow. The genie is out of the bottle, and as theme camps and participants, our best bet now is to simply decide in which directions we want to attempt to guide the growth. I agree with Simon. Let's focus on converting the next generations rather than simply entertaining them.
Pop_Tart

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: MalMart

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Do what you like. Just sayin' that librarians have nothing to do with BM becoming Bonnaroo or the Electric Daisy Carnival, it's media mecca, and increasingly YouTube. So there is a good argument for a YouTube etc. BM takedown.

Yes music will continue to morph. BM needs to morph too. I'm increasingly unwilling to stereotype people, for instance, as candy ravers, ravers or "". Yes we have a moop problem because a small percentage will always moop, and the law of numbers concentrates them at the LSCs. I think Simon has a good plan. But I don't think anyone needs to convert a generation.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Camp Name: Woo

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:09 pm

indeed.

you remember what happened last year with my list of 10 things that were must do's...

we batted 0 for 10...

oh well.

Still had the best Fudging time EVER!

If your must do includes visiting me this year, I will hunt you down if I must. Enforced meet n greet at random.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy