Think Globally, Camp Locally

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Think Globally, Camp Locally

Postby bartholomew » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:37 pm

After reading a pile of e-playa mails about this year's experience, I have noticed an interesting trend. I keep reading things along the lines of "the art/burn/org sucked, but I didn't care because I was camping with the greatest folks on the planet". Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but it's interesting that so many are so happy with the tribe they are with, regardless of how they feel about the event in general.

On reflection, I think that this is a good thing, as it means that there is a built-in buffer against nonsense from above. People who love each other and care about each other will return regardless of rule changes, Yahoo-ness, or the prevalence of nasty, noisy, @#$%^-ing bulhorns and gopeds.

Your Milage Will Vary,
Bartholomew
bartholomew

~

Postby sparkletarte » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:15 pm

My personal fav, courtesy Rob Brezny in his fabulous book The Televisionary Oracle, is: lust globally, fuck locally.
sparkletarte

Postby geekster » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:43 pm

Darn it! I was thinking of bringing a bullhorn ... now you went and spoiled the feeling for me. Actually, according to one of our camp members, a bullhorn is properly called "A Yelling Thing".

Anyhow, I want one that will record and play amplified .wav files. Want to do rooster crows at dawn, crickets at sunset, pigs squeeling at juffy lube ... you know, the usual stuff.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Re: ~

Postby bartholomew » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:10 pm

sparkletarte wrote:My personal fav, courtesy Rob Brezny in his fabulous book The Televisionary Oracle, is: lust globally, fuck locally.

Dammit! Just when I thought my bumper was gonna stay sticker-free, you bring this one up. Love it.
bartholomew

Postby bartholomew » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:18 pm

geekster wrote:Darn it! I was thinking of bringing a bullhorn ... now you went and spoiled the feeling for me. Actually, according to one of our camp members, a bullhorn is properly called "A Yelling Thing".

Anyhow, I want one that will record and play amplified .wav files. Want to do rooster crows at dawn, crickets at sunset, pigs squeeling at juffy lube ... you know, the usual stuff.

I LIKE it! Understand, I have no problem with bullhorns manned by folks who give it some thought, what annoys me are dimwits that think that simply cranking up the decibels on an obscenity makes it witty.
"Hey, if me shouting FUCK makes my friends giggle nervously, shouting it endlessly into a bullhorn ought to make EVERYONE realize what a cool dood I am!".

Yes, they have a right to do it, and yes, I have a right to be bored by it. It reminds me of 4-year olds screaming "Pee-Pee!!" in a mall simply because mom said not to.
bartholomew

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities