How to cover RV logos

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

How to cover RV logos

Postby sensei_88 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:27 pm

Returning to the playa this year from Australia and need some advice on how to cover or alter the logos on a rented cruise America RV. Last year was pretty lucky to get an rv with no logos, but this years is branded to the max and for the enjoyment of my fellow patrons id like to figure out a way to make it more visually appealing, without doing any lasting damage (e.g.via melted masking tape).

Any suggestions anyone out there may have are much appreciated! :D
..............)'( !
sensei_88

Burning Since: 2009

Re: How to cover RV logos

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:45 pm

One thing I see a lot on here is the suggetion to mix playa and water and then painting (if that's the correct verb) it on. Then when you do the obligatory car wash visit, it will come off with the rest.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:06 pm

I wouldn't worry about it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:18 pm

Yeah...it's no big deal. You'll see logos on everything...although we've got it easy with our El Full Monte RV.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:42 pm

Yeah, you do see logos, but I'm not going to pretend that it's no big deal.
One of the things I love best about the Burn is the fact that advertising is not the default there. I think the constant moving through the advertisement sphere of our culture is a real drain on my mind and heart. So, there is a respite on playa. Yeah, I'm not going to knock on your rv and ask you to cover it. I will silently thank you as I go by if it is obscured. In some way logos offend me more than plug and play camping. It's very in my face and, thus far, I haven't run into the other.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:24 pm

Get creative with $10 worth of painters masking tape.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Rice » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:09 pm

simple solution:

Take some playa, add water - paint over logo. Wash off when back in civilization... Paza
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Elliot » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Somebody once suggested spraying... I think it was some sort of cooking oil onto the logos. The dust would quickly stick in the oil and obscure the logos, yet the stuff would wash off. This is only something I remember reading -- I don't know much about cooking oils. Sure would be nice to get rid of the commercial logos, yes.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:43 pm

There is a truck rental company that went by the name of Hengehold Truck Rental. The letters were re arranged to read "age old fuck rectal"

We laughed our asses off for years....
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:07 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: I will silently thank you as I go by if it is obscured.

I feel silently thanked, already...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Canoe » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:05 pm

Canoe wrote:...The dollar store (same brand I saw in other stores) sticky no-residue kitchen shelf liner worked fantastic on the table, the floor where I used it, and on the outside of the RV to cover RV company's logos.
Prep was a damp cloth wipe, wipe dry and apply before playa dust settled.
Some of the edges came loose on some of the outside stuff, but it all stayed on in the wind and sun.
Peeled off with little force, no logo or paint damage - YRMV.

Even worked for the logo across the top above the cab (not in photo).
Green Painter's tape should work too; costs more?

Red circles show covered logos.
Green circle shows window that has green Painter's tape over the middle vertical Window seam to keep dust out. Window at right rear wasn't taped, as I kept it easily openable for fresh air (on cool mornings, no wind).
My 2010 RV - tight.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby C187 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:10 pm

If it wasn't for the wind wrapping paper plus painters tape would be wonderful to see. But the wind man, the wind.
Any way, if you happen to get this on the side of your rental..
...Please for the love of all things unholy cover it up. You have no clue how much that bird fucks people up.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:24 pm

For some of us, that's a perfect reason not to cover it...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Worry about something substantial. Nobody gives a flying fuck that you came in an RV, it's fucking stupid to try to disguise it, and you're bound to cause annoyance for the underpaid peons in the rental yard cleaning up after your botched attempt to look fashionable.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Rice » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Doing nothing is by far the simplest action.

Mud is more effort and will not damage either the paint job or the decals on the RV.

70, 80 MPH wind gusts will probably rip anything wider than tape off.

Here is my question:

Why exactly are you trying to cover the advertising up? You, after all, did rent the vehicle. If you truly disliked advertising, why are you driving a gigantic billboard?? This seems to be hypocritical to me..
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Canoe » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:21 pm

I, like others, hate looking at advertising.
It was cheap, easy to do, and came in wide rolls. It didn't come off in the wind, didn't damage the surface and left no residue (test? after driving back to Salt Lake City after pulling it off, nothing to clean up).
To each their own.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:41 am

Bob wrote:Worry about something substantial. Nobody gives a flying fuck that you came in an RV, it's fucking stupid to try to disguise it, and you're bound to cause annoyance for the underpaid peons in the rental yard cleaning up after your botched attempt to look fashionable.

+1

It's like trying to piss in the wind.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby CaptainPickles » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:57 pm

We have rented a cruise america RV too. Our plan is to get some painters tape and make it "Tom Cruise's America." Full disclosure: I saw this on a cruise america RV last year and couldn't stop laughing. But, this year it is even more relevant with him being the media so much. Now if only I can find a larger than life picture of Tom to glare at passerbys from the window...
CaptainPickles

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:00 pm

Invite your neighbors to drop by and have a "Tom Cruise Art Contest" with some sharpies and paper...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby sensei_88 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks for your responses all.

Playa and water seems like the easiest fix! And it may be a late, but in response to the person calling me a hypocrite above - the reason why I ask about methods is because I know there are people at the Burn who do care about covering this stuff up. I don't think there is anything wrong with hiring an RV from a commercial company, but I do think there is something wrong with joining a community for the weekend and completely ignoring the fact that some people in that community don't want to see advertising. If I can take a small amount of my time and effort to consider that sentiment, I'm more than willing!

:D
..............)'( !
sensei_88

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Rice » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:51 pm

I think I did that. I really should not post here when I am tired and cranky.

I did also suggest the playa and water too...

Anyhow, I hope this thread helped.
Love Rice

Rice

Postby DrYes » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:57 am

sensei_88 wrote:Thanks for your responses all.

Playa and water seems like the easiest fix! And it may be a late, but in response to the person calling me a hypocrite above - the reason why I ask about methods is because I know there are people at the Burn who do care about covering this stuff up. I don't think there is anything wrong with hiring an RV from a commercial company, but I do think there is something wrong with joining a community for the weekend and completely ignoring the fact that some people in that community don't want to see advertising. If I can take a small amount of my time and effort to consider that sentiment, I'm more than willing!

:D

I think your efforts are great. I don't like seeing brandnames on the playa either, and obscure logos on my trailer, backpack, shoes, etc.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby StaceyS » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:37 pm

I saw one Cruise America RV at BMan with a really clever cover-up: This particular RV had the spectacular scenic landscape shot with the wholesome family smiling broadly in the foreground. The renters had taped out speech bubbles above each of their heads and gave each wholesome family member a very non-wholesome comment on going to Burning Man. (such as "The landscape here doesn't look anything like the f**king advertising!", etc). I laughed for a good hour, and then I laughed for another hour thinking (hoping) that they had put the tape on BEFORE leaving for Burning Man!
StaceyS

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:36 am

I don't know. It seems dishonest. We're supposed to pretend that we're not renting vehicles to participate in the Burn?

Just wondering.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:43 am

Everybody knows that we buy and rent and commit all sorts of commerce to get the the playa, and all year round.
We usually know where the trucks and rvs are rented from as well. But I believe that advertising is a form of lying and that it has long-term harmful effects. But covering logos we are challenging that regime of mental take-over. And most of us are sophisticated enough to see both levels. And holidays are, among other things, supposed to be times with different realities and different rules. I see no hypocrisy, just attempts to be honest about things that don't fit together in a tidy way.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Zhust » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:15 am

Elliot wrote:Somebody once suggested spraying... I think it was some sort of cooking oil onto the logos.

I heard the same thing and it stuck with me. I recall it was olive oil, although any cooking oil would work. They sell the stuff in sprays now too which would make things Banksy easy.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Zhust » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:17 am

Bob wrote:Worry about something substantial. Nobody gives a flying fuck that you came in an RV, it's fucking stupid to try to disguise it, and you're bound to cause annoyance for the underpaid peons in the rental yard cleaning up after your botched attempt to look fashionable.

[snark]Absolutely. Burning Man is only for professional artists. Do not attempt to be clever or interesting. Do not express yourself. Conform.

And most of all, make sure you impress the rental agency! Gold star for that![/snark]
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Hoolie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:02 pm

StaceyS wrote:I saw one Cruise America RV at BMan with a really clever cover-up: This particular RV had the spectacular scenic landscape shot with the wholesome family smiling broadly in the foreground. The renters had taped out speech bubbles above each of their heads and gave each wholesome family member a very non-wholesome comment on going to Burning Man. (such as "The landscape here doesn't look anything like the f**king advertising!", etc).

I was going to mention that one too. It was great. So, for the OP, one option is to alter the existing logo/graphics in an interesting or humorous way.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Return to Shelter & Camping