Tiny House on Playa

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Tiny House on Playa

Postby Schwarttzy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:00 am

Hey Burners!

I'm on a sinking ship for a project that I want to bring to playa this year, which as the title says a "Tiny House," and I guess I'm just posting this because maybe I'm looking for closure or maybe I have just a little bit of hope left in me.

Either way the point of this project was to bringing the "Tiny House" movement to Burning Man 2012. The "Tiny House" movement is all about this idea of not having a mortgage, the ability to literally move at a moments notice, and focus on what is really important in your own life. I have a dream of being nomadic, living in a small home built upon a trailer, just going where ever my heart decides to leads me that day.

While I don't believe this is a life everyone can live, I know this movement has something at it's core that tugs on all of our strings. And it's not just the novelty of the idea, but the premise of cutting back to just the essentials and focusing on quality of things, not quantity. Funny it might be that, as you cut back for the sake of quality the quantity of quality begins to rise. Then again, maybe it's this idea of simplistic living, but simplistic living in it's self is complicated process of deciding what is and isn't needed. Which also involves a complicated process of trying to get the most functions out of the fewest amount of things. How do you decided what the minimal amount of function that you need to be comfortable? And what couldn't this be applied too?

Now my idea why these "Tiny Houses" are so popular is because we are all waking up to the idea that we are wanting to change the way we have balanced things out in our lives. First let me say, "I love the house my Father built," but we have rooms in our house that are basically a waste of resources going completely unused. It's nothing against my Father, just an observation. And just like the wasted rooms in my house, I bet you have some piece of clothing that you almost never wear, or worse, don't like it. With the process of eliminating things, we find focus and time for the stuff that we really rank high among the priorities in our life.

This maybe why Burning Man is truly so amazing, because we are realizing a profound amount of things lacking that do not really matter. This is my message that I want to bring to this year's burners and hopefully I still can.

I know this is bit of a repeat of my project on http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/129 ... urning-man , and if you watch the video it is a bit dated now because the idea was constantly evolving. We have / had planned to redo the video but that might not happen now so...

I want to hear what you guy think, your normally very creative with these comments.
Schwarttzy

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Tiny House on Playa

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:13 am

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Joshua! » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:15 am

Hey there!

All I have to say is that I am also building a "tiny house" to bring to burning man and live in. I am not, however, running a kickstarter to fund it.

Others are doing the same. Check out Figjam's thread on playapods.

This crowdsource funding bullshit is wearing thin.

Joshua
Joshua!

Camp Name: Gigsville

Postby masho » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:37 am

Right on. Cool idea.

Sure it's a chicken and egg thing but In my experience folks want to know you are committed before they will commit. Show folks what you are building, and that it is real.

It sounds like you already have a viable trailer right? So you're half way there. In my neck of the woods you could salvage almost everything else you need from construction sites, goodwill, the dump, or craigslist. Windows, doors, siding, lumber, etc.....Here's a house made mostly from scrap, it can be done and it will probably be far more interesting. Don't give up, honestly accept the problem, get creative and make it work. :wink:

pm me if you want to discuss this further. Cheers.

masho

Postby Rice » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:45 am

so, you want us to pay for your mortgage free house??

Why exactly would I do that? What are you contributing to burning man?

Your fundraising page says exactly the same thing as your post. Not giving us any reason to contribute.

As far as I am concerned, you are trying to con burners to pay for your shit... No perceived contribution to Burning Man or BRC in what you are doing whatsoever.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby BBadger » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:57 am

WARNING: DELUGE OF HIPPY PLATITUDES DETECTED

The essence of hippiness: having everyone else pay for your alternative lifestyle.

Move along hippy. Burning Man is not a hippy festival.

Build it. Bring it. Don't expect everyone else to pay for it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Rice » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:01 am

BBadger wrote:WARNING: DELUGE OF HIPPY PLATITUDES DETECTED

The essence of hippiness: having everyone else pay for your alternative lifestyle.

Move along hippy. Burning Man is not a hippy festival.

Build it. Bring it. Don't expect everyone else to pay for it.

So, I am not the only one that picked up on that.

Why the hell do some people thing that life should be free and easy. It isnt! Deal with that and grow the fuck up....
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Schwarttzy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:25 am

Ya this idea would look stupid if I wasn't offering anything in return, but it's probably my fault that didn't explain it good enough.

The big thing We hoped to do, was to first meet all of Nevada's Cooking Regulations at BM, and then serve up an insane amount of Bacon in the hundreds of pounds of the stuff which turns out is quite pricey. Then of course if you were to be interested in building one of these things we planned to share our design, and having it actually blueprinted, that plus sharing our mistakes and ideas to anyone (not just supporters).
Schwarttzy

Postby Schwarttzy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:31 am

masho wrote:It sounds like you already have a viable trailer right? So you're half way there. In my neck of the woods you could salvage almost everything else you need from construction sites, goodwill, the dump, or craigslist. Windows, doors, siding, lumber, etc.....Here's a house made mostly from scrap, it can be done and it will probably be far more interesting. Don't give up, honestly accept the problem, get creative and make it work. :wink:

Actually, we have bunch scrap left over in a garage, doors, windows, etc. that we plan to raid. Only a bit of the cash will go into finishing touches, where as most will be in the actual rewards part.
Schwarttzy

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:52 am

You will find that burners are quite good at cooking up vast amounts of bacon and building more creative structures than this.
But thanks for playing.
Last edited by Ugly Dougly on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby BBadger » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:12 pm

Schwarttzy wrote:The big thing We hoped to do, was to first meet all of Nevada's Cooking Regulations at BM, and then serve up an insane amount of Bacon in the hundreds of pounds of the stuff which turns out is quite pricey. Then of course if you were to be interested in building one of these things we planned to share our design, and having it actually blueprinted, that plus sharing our mistakes and ideas to anyone (not just supporters).

Actually, we have bunch scrap left over in a garage, doors, windows, etc. that we plan to raid. Only a bit of the cash will go into finishing touches, where as most will be in the actual rewards part.

If you don't reach your Kickstarter goal, will you still bring the Tiny House, especially since it only needs "finishing touches"?

I mean, yeah, we won't see the bacon, but Kickstarters are not for pooling money to buy pledge prizes (like the bacon), but rather to fund a project. It seems like you have most of that done from what you've stated above. Anyway, the bacon seems like an afterthought, and the powers-that-be may not even allow you to serve it up. So you could just bring the house itself.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Schwarttzy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:32 pm

BBadger wrote:If you don't reach your Kickstarter goal, will you still bring the Tiny House, especially since it only needs "finishing touches"?.

Na, I would rather save the gas and camp in a tent.
Schwarttzy

Postby masho » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:You will find that burners are quite good at cooking up vast amounts of bacon and building more creative structures than this.

Dougly makes a good point (as usual). As does Stretch80.

Stretch80 wrote:so, you want us to pay for your mortgage free house??

Now all I can offer up outside of irony is that $4000 buy's a shit ton of bacon + swag ~
masho

Postby masho » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:42 pm

Schwarttzy wrote:
BBadger wrote:If you don't reach your Kickstarter goal, will you still bring the Tiny House, especially since it only needs "finishing touches"?.

Na, I would rather save the gas and camp in a tent.

Please tell me your trolling now lol
masho

Postby Rice » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Ah, so this is a "Pay for our trip to Burning Man" thing...

I am happy to kick money towards art that is going to be on the playa.

I have contributed to my regional C.O.R.E. project, knowing some of that money is going to be used towards fuel.

I am not paying for anyone besides myself to go. I expect people to work towards going themselves. After all, nothing good is easy. And if you have put some effort, time, energy towards getting yourself to Burning Man -- you will get more out of your experience.

What happened to: Working hard, saving money and paying for your own way? You know - like it has been done for all of time.... No one deserves anything!!
Love Rice

Rice

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:55 pm

I have come to the conclusion that super-insulated houses are the way to go.

I can go into detail about why the numbers on this are so deceptive.

The whole affordable home thing goes back forever.
I even talked to Fuller about it.

Unfortunately, cheap is about double what it used to be, only recently.
gyre

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:36 am

Fun idea, but I've personally never been a fan of the 'pay for my burn' fundraising.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:57 am

gyre wrote:I have come to the conclusion that super-insulated houses are the way to go.

I can go into detail about why the numbers on this are so deceptive.

The whole affordable home thing goes back forever.
I even talked to Fuller about it.

Unfortunately, cheap is about double what it used to be, only recently.

proof or it didnt happen.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:05 pm

yawn
gyre

Return to 2012 Art & Performance