When can I arrive?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

When can I arrive?

Postby seantildawn » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:52 pm

I read 6am and now the Survival Guide says 12:01am. Anyone know when it is? I have to asume the SG is correct.
seantildawn

Burning Since: 1998

Re: When can I arrive?

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:58 pm

This actually a difficult question. For the past couple years, entry was at 6 pm Sunday evening, even though all the literature said Midnight plus one minute Monday. The arrival time was forced by there being too many people waiting to get in, and the Nevada Highway Patrol and other government entities allowing the time to move up in the name of safety. This year, things are actually saying 6--I presume--pm Sunday. What things? I've forgotten, but I think the permit. Apparently, the opening will be tweeted, giving you the option to wait around in Reno until that message goes out rather than overwhelming Gerlach and Empire.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Box Burner » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:07 pm

You can arrive any time you want. However for the best experience it is recommended that you arrive sometime between Aug 27 and Sept 3. :P
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby Rice » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:12 pm

seantildawn wrote:I read 6am and now the Survival Guide says 12:01am. Anyone know when it is? I have to asume the SG is correct.

Well, The "Official Gate Opening Time" is 1 second after Midnight. So Monday, August 27th @ 00:01.

If you plan for that arrival time, you should be 100% good. If you are staging at Fernley, plan to arrive in Gerlach about 20 minutes before that and you should be on the playa at about the time the gates open...

If you arrive too early, you might end up in D-Lot (the penalty box of Gate) which would possibly keep you from entering the city for up to 4 hours after the gates open... Having ended up there myself on a couple occasions, I strongly suggest you wait. :)

Rumors are all fun and dandy, but listening to them and showing up too early puts unnecessary strain on the Gate staff, the Perimeter staff and on law enforcement. Plus, the permit for Burning Man could be placed at jeopardy.

YMMV
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:30 pm

Watch for the skycap holding up the sign saying "Sean's Lane This Way -->>".
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:16 pm

You've been a member of eplaya for 3 years now, been burning for at least 11 years, and you don't know when the event starts?

Words fail.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby danibel » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:39 pm

I just got my survival guide and on page 3 it says not to arrive before 6pm on SUNDAY, August 26th. I also read something on the permit PDF to that effect.

The "official" gate opening is at 12:01 am Monday the 27th, but for whatever reason it has moved up to the time they have been letting people slip in for the past two years.

If I had my way, I would have an EA and get in on the Thursday before opening, but alas, this is not to be. I am happy to have my golden in my hand. Fortunate. :D And I will be arriving sometime on Tuesday afternoon. No worries about the gate being open, but wondering if this year's gate wait will be longer than last years...3.5 hours from pavement to ticket check.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby seantildawn » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:12 pm

[quote="junglesmacks"]You've been a member of eplaya for 3 years now, [url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30238&p=483806#p483806]been burning for at least 11 years,[/url] and you don't know when the event starts?

Words fail.[/quote]

Hey genius, I used to show up anytime after midnight Saturday and drive in. Now I hear about D lot and shit. Just asking a question. If you have nothing to contribute, mind your own business.
seantildawn

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Rice » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:14 pm

seantildawn wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:You've been a member of eplaya for 3 years now, been burning for at least 11 years, and you don't know when the event starts?

Words fail.

Hey genius, I used to show up anytime after midnight Saturday and drive in. Now I hear about D lot and shit. Just asking a question. If you have nothing to contribute, mind your own business.

I just ignore the snark. Getting into a flame war with someone on ePlaya is fun to watch, but kinda pointless to participate in. (IMHO)

Anyhow,

Guess 07 was the first year for D-lot (spent over 4hrs there on opening night). From what I can tell, 07 was also the first year that they really started to restrict entry times.

This year the BM Org is on probation with BLM so the probability of adherence to the proscribed entry times is high. I have not seen a 2012 survival guide, so as far as I know - the gates open at the end of Sunday (1 minute after midnight, Monday Morning)...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:42 pm

We pulled into the entry queue about 6 PM on Sunday last year. We didn't pass Greeter's until about 5 hours later...major suck!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:25 pm

danibel wrote:The "official" gate opening is at 12:01 am Monday the 27th, but for whatever reason it has moved up to the time they have been letting people slip in for the past two years.

No one was allowed to "slip in". Gate was opened early at the request of the powers that be due to the congested road conditions from gate road back to Ferntucky.

If I had my way, I would have an EA and get in on the Thursday before opening, but alas, this is not to be. I am happy to have my golden in my hand. Fortunate. :D And I will be arriving sometime on Tuesday afternoon. No worries about the gate being open, but wondering if this year's gate wait will be longer than last years...3.5 hours from pavement to ticket check.

Rumor has it more lanes have been added to try and cope with the insane amount of traffic trying to enter all at once on Sunday night. This will of course depend on Gate getting enough volunteers to staff any changes accordingly.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:37 pm

What CapSmashy said, there was no slipping, the BLM made the decision on site to start sooner. This year they've taken the additional step of making that call in advance. The gates will open at 6pm on Sunday night. The event's official start time is still 12:01am Monday (and my understanding is that the Playa Events Calendar will only accept listings after then).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Transportation