Anyone else compromising your ideals?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Anyone else compromising your ideals?

Postby nerp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:59 am

I'm in the step program (I think... I got like 3 emails saying I was in at different times ... so I *guess* I'm in STEP. No way to verify this).

I've set my email account to alert me via text, telephone, and everything short of relentlessly blinking all of the lights in my house if I receive an email from Burning Man (which has been set off every time I get a Jack Rabbit speaks - but that's another story...).

My husband and I have started a couple of small projects for our camp. It's his first burn so we're going to be a little chill. :P We have started our packing (At least the list of what we are bringing and what we need).

But, we still don't have tickets. Only the hope of STEP and the potential that sometime in the next 60 or so days someone will add enough tickets to STEP that we will be able to get tickets.

The last time *I* went to BM was a long long long time ago. None of our friends are burners. I'm looking forward to making a lot of new friendships on the Playa.

We're flying blind and it's scary. We want tickets and have enough money to go to eBay and buy tickets, but we don't want to compromise the spirit of the burn. I *know* that the vast majority of people in the world are greedy and as soon as they have their physical tickets, they will sell them online if they cannot go or were never planning on going in the first place. Only a very small amount of people will send their tickets back through STEP. I know this. We don't know where we are in the STEP line, and we don't even know if some clerical error will cause us to never be able to even register as a STEP participant (Why three emails? If we signed up three times to STEP, maybe they just deleted us all together because we had duplicates - who knows?).

We are faced with a moral decision: we have to draw a line. As the time for the burn nears and no information about STEP is forthcoming, the line moves ever closer. At some point, we will break down, and buy tickets from a scalper. At some point, we will compromise our ideals and pay up to 10 times the proper amount for a ticket - perhaps getting scammed in the process.

Immediately afterwards, no matter when we cross the line - my phone will ring and somewhere on a lonely Google server in the middle of Oregon, a robotic email rule will set the speakers in the house adrift with lovely music indicating that Burning Man just emailed me with a lucky STEP email.

If BMORG would just TELL us if we're still in the program, where we are in line, and what the current STEP rate is - we could better determine where we should draw that line. Without data, it's purely a test of our willingness to compromise the ideals of the burn. With data, it's still a test - but at least it's a little more practical.

When will you cross the line?
nerp

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: The Friend Zone

Re: Anyone else compromising your ideals?

Postby wraith » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:14 am

I'm a habitual line-crosser.

But my honest answer is 'maybe next year?', since I've lost interest in the whole struggle for tickets this time. :D
wraith

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:57 am

Wh..sh compromised mine once.. but I kind of liked it. I'm still walking funny.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby ygmir » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:29 am

junglesmacks wrote:Wh..sh compromised mine once.. but I kind of liked it. I'm still walking funny.

lucky dog!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:33 am

I never compromise and tell. At least, not ideally.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:55 am

nerp wrote:I *know* that the vast majority of people in the world are greedy and as soon as they have their physical tickets, they will sell them online if they cannot go or were never planning on going in the first place. Only a very small amount of people will send their tickets back through STEP. I know this.

Don't believe everything you know. Yes, people seek to maximize their "wealth", but money isn't the only available wealth. It could be that being a "burner" effectively counteracts "greed" in some (many?) cases, and there are other things that bear as well. And when people have physical tickets, they will not be able to sell through STEP. Only will call tickets can go into the program.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby nerp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:29 am

"Only will call tickets can go into the program"

Wow really? I wasn't aware of this. Ugh. Makes things feel even worse.
nerp

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:31 am

The logistics of getting hard copy tickets into STEP are onerous. Up until tickets were printed and mailed out, all tickets were STEP-able.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby delle » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:47 pm

I thought this date had already passed.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Yes, it has. I used the past tense... Do I really have to say "...and now that the date has past, mailed tickets won't be going into STEP anymore"?
*sigh*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:07 pm

If back on February 29th you got through during that short window of time, and received a confirmation email saying that your registration info had been received, then yes you are in the queue. There were no 'false confirmations'.

At this point, only will call tickets may be contributed into STEP. Tickets to be mailed have already been printed, and the process of getting those orders mailed out is already underway. That does reduce the potential flow of tickets into STEP, but as we get closer to the event, more people who may have been on the fence are making their decisions whether or not to go. Every year, a lot of people who get tickets end up choosing to take the year off - so there is still hope. STEP shuts down on August 7th, if I remember correctly. On the upside, plenty of people who have just received (or are about to receive) their tickets may be making the decision not to go, so you may be able to get a ticket through the aftermarket (as many people do, every single year).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby nerp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:03 pm

trilobyte wrote:...There were no 'false confirmations'....At this point, only will call tickets may be contributed into STEP. ... STEP shuts down on August 7th, if I remember correctly. ...

Good info ... thank you. I wish Jack Rabbit would put this in the newsletter - or a bulk email to the people still in line for STEP. If STEP shuts down 8/7, I guess that's my line. So, right after I get back from DefCon in Vegas ... I'll have about 18 days to get a couple of tickets. I guess that's not bad. :roll:

*fatigued and sleepless*
nerp

Postby mshaman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:36 pm

Nerp, tickets are freeing up and will continue to do so. The longer you are willing to wait, the easier it will be to get a ticket at face value. A friend of mine just got her two tickets awarded through STEP. It's late enough in the game that she's like "fuckit, I made plans for Scotland instead", so she's selling off her two tix to a friend at face value. Try checking out the Facebook group for your region (mine are Denver Burners and Colorado Burners) to go to the local burner meet-n-greets. Meet burners in your area. Let them know you need tickets. While we couldn't get tickets when we needed them to plan our theme camps and art collectives, now that many have given up, tickets are getting looser.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:31 pm

mshaman wrote:A friend of mine just got her two tickets awarded through STEP. It's late enough in the game that she's like "fuckit, I made plans for Scotland instead", so she's selling off her two tix to a friend at face value.

Not if she got them through STEP - STEP tickets can only be sold back into STEP, they're held at will-call & under the purchasers name. If the purchaser doesn't show up with legal ID - no tickets will be given out. Your friend would have to drive out to the playa, pick up the tickets & hand them to the purchaser, which would be frowned upon (to say the least)

From the FAQ:
Q: Can I transfer tickets I buy through STEP to somebody else after I buy them?
A: No, tickets purchased through STEP are non-transferable. Both tickets will be held at Will Call under the name of the purchaser. If both parties are arriving separately, the buyer of the ticket may collect both tickets and then leave the second under the other name at the Will Call window.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:54 pm

She will be really surprized at gate.
gyre

Postby wh..sh » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:46 am

junglesmacks wrote:Wh..sh compromised mine once.. but I kind of liked it. I'm still walking funny.

*bats eyelashes*
who, me?
:D
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby BBadger » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:31 am

(addressed to OP, not the entertaining stuff afterwards)

Oh cut the bullshit. BMOrg is making it difficult for people to predict whether they can acquire a ticket through STEP. However, to claim that BMorg, or anyone else, is compromising your ideals in this situation is an absolute lie. Only you can compromise them, because you are setting the limits to which you will compromise them. If anything it's the opposite: you would be compromising someone else's ideals by being willing to pay above face value if the need arises.

Own your decision and don't give any excuses.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby BetaBox » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:12 pm

What about scalpers only charging a little Xtra
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tix/3112369463.html
See you in 2014
BetaBox

Postby nerp » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:50 pm

BBadger wrote:(addressed to OP, not the entertaining stuff afterwards)

Oh cut the bullshit. BMOrg is making it difficult for people to predict whether they can acquire a ticket through STEP. However, to claim that BMorg, or anyone else, is compromising your ideals in this situation is an absolute lie. Only you can compromise them, because you are setting the limits to which you will compromise them. If anything it's the opposite: you would be compromising someone else's ideals by being willing to pay above face value if the need arises.

Own your decision and don't give any excuses.

You're right, actually. It's about owning my decision. I could more correctly say that BMORG is enabling excuses for me to compromise my ideals (which I have adopted from Burning Man). Despite your obvious trollbait, it's a useful point of view.

Nerp
nerp

Postby nerp » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:55 pm

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D

-- OMG --

While I was typing that message ... I got my STEP email. TICKETS ARE SECURED. Serendipity? I HAVE TICKETS! Karma? OMG!

Nerp!
nerp

Postby wh..sh » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:58 pm

nerp wrote::D :lol: :D :lol: :D

-- OMG --

While I was typing that message ... I got my STEP email. TICKETS ARE SECURED. Serendipity? I HAVE TICKETS! Karma? OMG!

Nerp!

:D Congrats Nerp!! Gald you are saved from compromising your ideals.

Now, the real question is, who will save junglesmacks?

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:21 pm

wh..sh wrote:
nerp wrote::D :lol: :D :lol: :D

-- OMG --

Nerp!

:D Congrats Nerp!! Gald you are saved from compromising your ideals.

Now, the real question is, who will save junglesmacks?

It's too late to save Junglesmacks!

Drive. DRIVE. :shock:

*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:09 pm

I love it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby wh..sh » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:46 pm

*wiping away tears of laughter*

I love this place!

-Bob
wh..sh

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion