Gate opening early this year

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Gate opening early this year

Postby Lowz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:16 am

Early opening was better last year
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby moonrise » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:16 pm

Does anyone know if we can still stay until Weds the 5th? I like to stay and help MOOP, avoid exodust, rest up, pack leisurely and roll away by noon-ish. ;) Gratzi!!~
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:51 pm

moonrise wrote:Does anyone know if we can still stay until Weds the 5th? I like to stay and help MOOP, avoid exodust, rest up, pack leisurely and roll away by noon-ish. ;) Gratzi!!~

I'd look at this desire as an opportunity for a research/expirimentation project. Keep your self busy mooping, helping with tear down, packing up your own stuff, helping take down a non burnt art instillation and returning green yellow bikes to center camp and see what the result is. I'm sure the official results of this experiment would be interesting for people to know and you just may find that which you seek.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby moonrise » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Ten Four, Motz (I'll have my afterburn report ready in 3013)

MOOPing (with rake & shovel) are at the top of my list. I also enjoy chucking more wood onto the man burn site in the evenings...I meet the strangest people 8)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Moonrise, mooping and helping out will probably insure that you can stay on the playa until Wednesday Sept 5th. But so would being drunk 24/7 those last couple of days. Oh hell, do both. Drunk mooping
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:29 pm

lucky420 wrote:Drunk mooping

And once again, a careless dropped phrase results in a whole new www entry...and a new burningman subculture was born.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ano » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:41 pm

I'm glad they are opening at 6pm.... I aimed to hit the gate by midnight last year, and I wasn't in camp until 4am... total noobie mistake, I know. Well, entering the Playa for my first time + acclimating on no sleep = awful. I'm going to shoot to hit the gate by 5:30pm (which, with traffic from where I'm coming from, will be more like 6:30 so hopefully I can be at camp by midnight to set up and catch a nap on Playa before hitting the first day.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:47 am

How was that a noobie mistake?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Ano » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:15 am

I figured I'd be in my camp by midnight-ish instead of way-too-late, and I figured I'd be able to set up a camp rather than look at the shiny things in the distance, which meant I got to skip a night of sleep without really wanting to, which made acclimation a lot tougher...lots of things, hehe.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby shykat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:02 am

Ano wrote:I'm glad they are opening at 6pm.... I aimed to hit the gate by midnight last year, and I wasn't in camp until 4am... total noobie mistake, I know. Well, entering the Playa for my first time + acclimating on no sleep = awful. I'm going to shoot to hit the gate by 5:30pm (which, with traffic from where I'm coming from, will be more like 6:30 so hopefully I can be at camp by midnight to set up and catch a nap on Playa before hitting the first day.

You and 30k or more people,you should wait till monday aroound 8 am................sleep in reno on sunday night.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:20 am

Ano wrote:I figured I'd be in my camp by midnight-ish instead of way-too-late, and I figured I'd be able to set up a camp rather than look at the shiny things in the distance, which meant I got to skip a night of sleep without really wanting to, which made acclimation a lot tougher...lots of things, hehe.

This happens to me every.. year. No way I'm sleeping until sunrise no matter what time I get there. Too many damn shiny objects to see!

shykat wrote:You and 30k or more people,you should wait till monday aroound 8 am................sleep in reno on sunday night.

Yes absolutely. :D

Please, please don't come until Monday afternoon.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:23 am

I always aim to get there as early as possibly Monday and never make it in before dark, so I suppose I should aim for 6pm Sunday (sorry). I can never sleep the night before anyway, and adrenaline will make it possible to set up my camp at any hour, after any wait, so I may as well aim to maximize my time on the playa.

Last year was my first time staying til Tuesday, and it was wonderful, but I didn't like the roaming herds of 'officials' telling me to 'get the fuck out'.
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Zhust » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:24 am

stretch80 wrote:In 07 the Man burned on Tuesday. So, Tuesday was the new Saturday...

Then on Easter Thursday, the Man rose again.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:06 am

Ano wrote:I'm glad they are opening at 6pm.... I aimed to hit the gate by midnight last year, and I wasn't in camp until 4am... total noobie mistake, I know. Well, entering the Playa for my first time + acclimating on no sleep = awful. I'm going to shoot to hit the gate by 5:30pm (which, with traffic from where I'm coming from, will be more like 6:30 so hopefully I can be at camp by midnight to set up and catch a nap on Playa before hitting the first day.

This post is so filled with wide-eyed optimism it's downright cute!

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mrchiff » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:55 am

moonrise wrote:Does anyone know if we can still stay until Weds the 5th? I like to stay and help MOOP, avoid exodust, rest up, pack leisurely and roll away by noon-ish. ;) Gratzi!!~

I wouldn't count on it. The event ends on Monday and I know they will have asked you to leave at least one time if you are still hanging around on Tuesday.
mrchiff

Postby pinemom » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:39 am

mrchiff wrote:
I wouldn't count on it. The event ends on Monday and I know they will have asked you to leave at least one time if you are still hanging around on Tuesday.

False. Check with Center camp Moonrise...they should have a directory towrds the end of the fest, for the late late clean up crew! Bernie did it last yr...man what a man!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:35 am

Yes. Generally one may still be there on Tuesday without issue, especially if one appears to be mooping, or a good steward in some other way. I know many people who have done so. If you're asked what you're doing there, it may not be evident what you're doing, so whoever asks may be making sure 1) you're actually okay, or 2) that you're there to at least help. They might even have a suggestion or be looking for a volunteer.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby mrchiff » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:12 am

pinemom wrote:
mrchiff wrote:

False. Check with Center camp Moonrise...they should have a directory towrds the end of the fest, for the late late clean up crew! Bernie did it last yr...man what a man!

Which part is false? The only part up for discussion is what happens Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll amend my post for clarity.

I am aware of people being asked about their intentions late Tuesday and Wednesday with regard to departure. If you are just hanging around for a leisurely departure, you may want to rethink your plan. If the intention is to sign up for a work crew then your odds improve.
mrchiff

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:51 am

the BLM sez GTFO!
Attachments
photo.jpg
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Previous