Camel bak, good or bad?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Camel bak, good or bad?

Postby LastNight » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:12 pm

I've been considering getting a camel back, but I wanted to hear first hand how it holds up out there. Can any one chime in here?
Make way for the crazy train.
LastNight

Re: Camel bak, good or bad?

Postby SquirrelHead » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:25 pm

I don't know about out there but mine holds up great while mountain biking or hiking. I will be taking it to TTITD for sure!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby International Incident » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:30 pm

I asked a bunch of people last year who used them - I did not have one - all the feedback I got was positive.

On the basis of others reports I'm bringing one for this year. But I am also bringing my trusty clip on water bottle as a back up.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:53 pm

I use a camelback mule. Great water capacity and has enough storage for essentials like cup, goggles, dust mask, lip balm, tp, snack, moop bag, etc... It held up great at the burn and since then I use it most days when walking or biking to work.

Tip - the water in the tube and mouthpiece gets really warm on the playa. If you start each drink by blowing into the mouthpiece it pushes the tube water back into the bladder and you get a nice refreshing drink from the start.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Essential.

Look at DaKine brand backpacks with integrated Camelbak bladder. My Heli-Pro is one of my most favorite possessions. I've lived by it for 8 years now through eveything and it has been a lifesaver.

But.. asking this question is like asking what kind of shoe you should wear. Everyone loves their own system..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lemur » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:08 pm

dont forget you can buy the water reservoirs individually in the camping/outdoors section of various websites/stores.. buy a few at a time.. or get multiple sizes.... they basically fold down flat.. ..put it any bag you want
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:51 pm

I have the CamelBak M.U.L.E. I also have the first generation CamelBak...the one with just the neoprene sleeve and the bladder. I fill half the bladder with ice, the rest with my fave hydration liquid. I then slide the bladder into the neoprene sleeve. I then slide the whole thing into the M.U.L.E. pouch (it's a tight fit but it will eventually go in) and zip it closed.

Those layers of insulation will keep ice alive for nearly 24 hours. Because my beverage is icy cold, I tend to drink more than I would otherwise, keeping me nicely hydrated.

Whatever you use, don't forget to take hydration with you at night. Even during the cooler night temps the dry air is still sucking moisture out of you. I see too many folks out there at night without any water or other fluid replacement drinks.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Jackass » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 pm

If you do decide to get one be sure and buy the real deal, I've seen those imitations spring leaks in the first few uses.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby Rice » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Jackass wrote:If you do decide to get one be sure and buy the real deal, I've seen those imitations spring leaks in the first few uses.

Too true!!

I tried to use a cheap one my first burn and it was almost useless. It is totally worth it to spend the extra bucks and get the real one. (I had to use a cork screw to poke a hole in the mouth piece and it leaked when not in use. aka, i ended up buying a new one and have used the more expensive one for over 4 years with no issues)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:26 pm

I didn't like mine. Partly it was the weird temperature change between warm and cool. I just never liked 'em. I'm happier with my steel water bottles.

YMMV
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:27 pm

The Camelbak concept is super useful for BM. Here is one way to go about it. Make a list of stuff you need to carry by day and carry by night. That comes from your packing list. At night you may want to shed layers, gloves, warm hats even coats to dance or be inside, and store them in your backpack.

There is thread What's in your backpack? viewtopic.php?f=78&t=33138&hilit=+backpack.

That determines what you might carry with your water. Me, I find I outgrew my original Camelbak and now throw a camelback -style bladder in a regular knapsack covered with safety pinned on faux fur. You need to care for your bladder to make it last.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby SquirrelHead » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:29 pm

I plan to use Fufa's idea and put 2 bladders in my MULE. One for hydration and one for vodka lemonade or some other tasty beverage. :twisted:
SquirrelHead

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:36 pm

SquirrelHead wrote:I plan to use Fufa's idea and put 2 bladders in my MULE. One for hydration and one for vodka lemonade or some other tasty beverage. :twisted:

Interesting idea, but...

Hook up the vodka bladder to an IV drip and it would be an awesome idea. :twisted:
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Postby daft » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Keep your alcohol in a better container or just bring a cup. Camelbacks rock as their bite valve is the best and the other ones you have to suck harder. That is what I am talking about. Go to rei.com and you can order the bigger bite valve to fit your mule; or their daypack with a meshpocket on each side to store your water bottles you already own. Hey I am getting stoked
daft

Postby happydragon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Used my camel bak pack for two years on playa, loved it and it became my best companion, didn't wind up using any of the pockets belts I thought I would. Just swapped out a few items depending on whether it was day or night, carabiner'd a drinking cup to one of the straps for gifts of booze, and the thing lived on my back for the whole time, on foot, on bike, on stilts, loved it.

Some tips- spring for the insulated hose if you like, but definitely the bite valve that comes with the rubber cap, (http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreati ... olkit.aspx) works great for keeping even playa dust off your bite valve. Like someone above mentioned, blow back into the hose when you finish each drink to keep water in the hose from overheating. If you a freezer or dry ice at your camp, fill the bladder 1/4 to 1/2 full the and freeze it, then when you are ready to go out top it off with liquid. Nice cold water for at least a couple hours.

If you want to put something other than water in your bladder, like gatoraid and/or tequila, have a spare bladder for that because it is very difficult to get the taste/smell of anything else out of the bladder if you want to switch back to water later.
happydragon

Burning Since: 2010

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Fuk yo Camel bak!
junglesmacks

Postby yumyumms » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:59 pm

what Arielmonster said. Ive used my camelback for the last two burns... It is ESSENTIAL! Water stays surprisingly cool, and I dont use any ice! The protective cap over the mouthpiece... PRICELESS!

Think about what happens when its the middle of the night and youre hustling to take a pee before rushing off to do something awesome. Youre already half drunk, tripping or whatever- just think about it!

Those packs are a dime a dozen out there. Make sure to put some blinkies on it and personalize it so you can pick your bag out. Specially if you hit the 'dance club' type camps at night. Cant tell you how many times Ive misplaced my bag. Seriously. Make that f#cker glow.
yumyumms

Postby Lowz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:30 pm

What's wrong with you people ?
Nobody cares about camel back, let's talk about camel toe..

someone has to do that
Lowz

Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:56 am

The insulated hose is a must!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby LastNight » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:36 am

Lowz wrote:What's wrong with you people ?
Nobody cares about camel back, let's talk about camel toe..

someone has to do that

I vote you start us off in the camel toe talk, I'll follow your lead XD
LastNight

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:55 am

yumyumms wrote:Cant tell you how many times Ive misplaced my bag. Seriously.

Simple solution: While out and about don't ever, ever take your backpack off and leave it somewhere. Problem solved.
junglesmacks

Postby Ano » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:04 am

I love my Camelbak. I made the mistake my first year of getting a small one - I figured, 40oz of water is plenty! Well, not in the middle of a sweltering desert, it isn't. I would run out of water way too quick, which would interrupt my daytime adventures or my nighttime escapades. I would run out of water, rush back to camp, and get thirstier in the process, which would drain my water. The small capacity camelbak also didn't have much storage room, and I found out that carrying a lot of things is pretty damn normal. I upgraded to a 100oz Camelbak Mule this year, and I'm excited to have it on Playa. Over twice the water capacity = awesome. Over 2.5 times the carrying capacity = awesome. I've also been taking long bike rides with my camelbak full of water and also carrying a few extraneous things to weigh it down to get used to it. One problem I've had with my Camelbak - when dancing or doing a lot of activity, if I don't have something between my skin and the straps of the Camelbak, I started to get a pretty bad rash from all the friction. Something to keep in mind!

One other thing - don't bite down on the valve too hard! I somehow ripped mine off of my Camelbak as I was leaving the Playa last year.. repaired it, but the seal on the water tank is also messed up now. Poor little guy is nearly useless at this point. Either way, the money I invested in a Camelbak was well spent.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:12 am

[shameless plug]

DaKine makes many 3L bags.. and all come with a completely insulated tube that runs through the left strap and is accessed via a zipper enclosure..

[/shameless plug]
junglesmacks

Postby SquirrelHead » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:47 am

junglesmacks wrote:[shameless plug]

DaKine makes many 3L bags.. and all come with a completely insulated tube that runs through the left strap and is accessed via a zipper enclosure..

[/shameless plug]

I bet it you outfitted your Dakine with LED lights they would hear you. :idea: Then they would all want one.
SquirrelHead

Postby Savannah » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:54 am

I'm like Fishy; I use stainless steel canteens instead.

A little one for vodka (with a loop cap, fun to hang it off of a caribeener) and a 32 oz. one for water.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby stinkyfoot » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:32 pm

If you are the sort of person who routinely forgets about things like eating, drinking or other bodily functions because there are just so many other things to pay attention to, having your water source relatively handy and in your face is a good thing at an event like Burning Man.
stinkyfoot

Postby BBadger » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:08 pm

I brought a small one the first year (1.5L I think?), and then purchased a larger one for the second year (3L). I prefer the larger one because of the pockets and stuff. Really quite helpful. I carry lights, piss jugs, snacks, oh and water of course. Get one that fits the estimated time you'll actually be out on the playa/city without returning for a refill. Bigger than that and you're just hauling more shit on your back. Smaller, and you're going to have to refill more often than you like.

Oh, and if you're going to use a Camel Bak, use it as a Camel Bak. Don't jam water/juice bottles in there because they may damage the bladder, or just fall out. That was my mistake the first year, but that was probably because I didn't have enough capacity in the first place.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Homiesinheaven » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Jackass wrote:If you do decide to get one be sure and buy the real deal, I've seen those imitations spring leaks in the first few uses.

yes! i learned that it's much better to spend the extra dough and buy the real deal instead of the cheapos. those bladders, nozzles, and hoses leak all over the place (try having red Gatorade running down your leg all day) and the straps eventually break from the dust and wear. they also get super hot whereas Camelbaks are designed to keep your back cool (air flow technology!). i bought cheapos two burns in a row before smartening up and getting a Camelbak. my girlfriend has had hers for years + three burns. they are made to last.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby LastNight » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:24 am

stinkyfoot wrote:If you are the sort of person who routinely forgets about things like eating, drinking or other bodily functions because there are just so many other things to pay attention to, having your water source relatively handy and in your face is a good thing at an event like Burning Man.

Sadly, yes I am like that :P
LastNight

Postby LastNight » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:28 am

BBadger wrote:I brought a small one the first year (1.5L I think?), and then purchased a larger one for the second year (3L). I prefer the larger one because of the pockets and stuff. Really quite helpful. I carry lights, piss jugs, snacks, oh and water of course. Get one that fits the estimated time you'll actually be out on the playa/city without returning for a refill. Bigger than that and you're just hauling more shit on your back. Smaller, and you're going to have to refill more often than you like.

Oh, and if you're going to use a Camel Bak, use it as a Camel Bak. Don't jam water/juice bottles in there because they may damage the bladder, or just fall out. That was my mistake the first year, but that was probably because I didn't have enough capacity in the first place.

Hmmmmm Ok.. I'm not sure what size I need though.. Some times I feel very unprepared for all this :/
LastNight

Next

Return to Food & Drink