Vinyl decals to decorate an RV

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Vinyl decals to decorate an RV

Postby CarrieSnarf » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi all,

So I have recently gotten access to a laser cutter that can make large scale vinyl stickers/decals/etc. This seems like a ridiculously great opportunity to turn my lame-o rented RV in to a work of playa art. I wanted to see if anyone had done this before (I'm sure that answer is yes) and then ask the following questions:
1) What type of vinyl did you use?
2) Where did you source it?
3) Do you remember how much it was per foot/yard roughly?
4) Did you have any problems with removal post burn? I'm worried about the heat mostly. I've had boots melt on the playa, so I would hate to melt a vinyl sticker on to the side of a rented RV. I'm not looking to pay for that repair.
5) Any other tricks/tips (i.e. put it on before the drive, after the drive, wash the car with baking soda and tears of the innocent before applying, etc etc)?
I'm still very much learning about the process, so pardon if I'm using the wrong terms.

Danke
'Snarf
thesammiewagon.blogspot.com
CarrieSnarf

Re: Vinyl decals to decorate an RV

Postby FeetOfClay » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:18 pm

what if you used to cutter to cut design in contact paper?

if contact paper sticks by static rather than adhesive, might that make for easier removal?
anyone ever use contact paper "decals" on playa?
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:04 pm

I took the easy way...blue painter's tape. I have NO artistic skills and yet managed to create some interesting designs and wording with strips of tape.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Rice » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:09 pm

just mix some playa dust with water and paint on the side of your rental.

It washes off when you wish...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Patsh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:30 pm

I asked my son your questions...
he does vinyl on vehicles.
He wrote:

"Well I have a vinyl cutting plotter and I do vinyl for vehicles. I would recommend an intermediate grade vinyl as opposed to a high performance grade due to it being thicker and more removable. It will come off real easy and IF it leaves any glue, that can easily be removed with mineral spirits without any damage to the paint. Doubtful any glue will be left if it's only on there for 10 days or so. You can do a search online for 3M, Oracal or Gerber brands or go to beacongraphics(dot)com/bgllc/amazing/items.asp?cc=ic600. For a 15" wide 10 yrd. long roll of intermediate grade vinyl is around $50. You will need transfer mask and a squeegy too for application. Ask them when you are placing the vinyl order."

Hope this helps!!
(see you in the dust...) :D
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:30 am

I would be a bit cautious about this as many rental RV's are already covered with vinyl graphics and if you damage that it's an expensive repair. Since you have no way to determine the quality of the RV's vinyl installation, removal of yours might lift or tear the rv's vinyl.

I would think it is less risky atop painted surfaces and of course windows.

I've used the 3M sign film mentioned above to modify my store's illuminated sign and it bonds really well.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Return to 2012 Art & Performance